As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Network question

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Someone is asking me something and I just want to double check my response.

First off, they have a laptop. A VAIO. They want to sign up for a 150 Mbps cable connection. The cable provider told them they would need a gigabit card.* They went to Best Buy's Shit Squad, who told them "they don't make gigabit cards for laptops"**

*I told them that this is true to take advantage of the full connection, but that they could still use the 100 Mbps card they have now, they just won't get the full speed
**This is total nonsense. What the fuck is wrong with Best Buy?

Is that right? Also, either a USB or PCMCIA 1000 Mbps card should work, no?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    For the NIC (RJ45) they'd need a gigabit card to get full usage of the 150 mbit connection, and most laptops sold in the past few years have gigE NICs. For WIFI they would need a multiple link WIFI card and ditto on the access point (or 802.11ac support in both WIFI adapter and access point) to get full usage of the 150 mbit connection. If you go to newegg you can find plenty of cards that could hit gigabit, and a lot more that could do 150+ mbps.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Man, they totally don't make such things.

Though I'd double check that the laptop doesn't already have it in it. It's been standard for a pretty long time now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah USB gigabit is a thing. Wireless is another story.

And if they infrastructure at home like routers and switches, those would also need to be switched out if they're used (and wanted the speeds at those nodes).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me