As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Believing in evolution is just another form of faith.

1373839404143»

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Does the church that handles poisonous snakes disown people who are bit and die? Because the whole reason they do it is because of the verse that says 'they will pick up snakes with their hands, they will drink venom and not be harmed.' So being harmed by venom would surely be a sign that the person wasn't a christian?

Although the verse doesn't really say that they'll be immune to poisonous snakes, it just says they'll pick up snakes, and drink venom. I could pick up a non-venomous snake and I think that drinking snake venom is actually harmless unless you have cuts or sores in your digestive system.

nah, they cop out with some "well it was god's will that he die today" bullshit

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    so snake handling actually happens?

I am from a place where that would happen, if it happened

or so I thought

but it didn't, so I didn't think it did

happen I mean

I did hear stories though

guy heard from his cousin about a church round the way

his aunt annabelle twice removed has it on good authority

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    yeah, it happens

edit: link fixed

SaraLuna on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I clicked on that and it took me to a page not found and I laughed

url's just fucked though

it's too bad about those people having no sense

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I hope that, since their pastor died to an untreated snakebite, his followers will actually seek treatment after being bitten by venomous snakes.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    A lot of the older developmental psych stuff has turned out to be not as universal as previously thought.

Many species are shown as capable of laying a trap (lions and cetaceans being the most noted) indicating Theory of Mind, and a number of insect and spider species are capable of making navigation decisions to their prey even when it takes them out of direct sensory range, indicating concrete thinking.

It's somewhat telling that for most posited criteria for human "intelligence", theres some other species in the animal (or sometimes even outside the animal) kingdom that also fulfills this criteria.

Laying a trap does not denote theory of mind. It also requires a number of concepts of self and of "other".

You are right in that it is not an either/or scenario. It is an either they have thus, this, this, this, AND this, or they don't have it.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I think the thing is that, while other animals do display some of the characteristics that we might define as what define us as sapient beings, there really aren't many that display all or even most of them, and so it doesn't seem any display them to the same level we do.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    humans need to think themselves a little less special

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    How do you define special. We're not different than animals, it's not like we're on some unreachable level, but we seem capable of a level of thought very few animals aspire to, which certainly sets us apart from the majority, similar to the way a blue whale is set apart from other animals in that it is the largest animal we've ever known to exist.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm talking more about anthropocentrism
    especially that part of it which sees the rest of Earth solely as a means to our survival and for our use

Tam on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think your understanding of yourself and your species as "special" has nothing to do with how you see your place in the world.

It does not necessarily follow logically "I am special, therefore I deserve to consume resources heedless of the cost".

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I am special, therefore aliens have rad tits and speak English

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Tam wrote: »
    humans need to think themselves a little less special

You take a grouping of notable social traits. When you notice that some species have some of those and not all, you develop words to describe each different combination. We just happen to have 'Theory of Mind'. It doesn't mean "special" it means, "Has all these traits".

Other species have social trait groupings that we do not:
    We don't have anything exactly like shaoling or schooling that fish have, even though we occasionally show similar traits.
    We don't have anything like the fractal traits of many/most plants.
    We can't flock or migrate quite like birds, even though we have the ability to move and relocate.

Hobnail wrote: »
    I am special and on mass media, therefore aliens have rad tits and speak English

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    This is the first thing that comes to mind whenever the topic of snake handlers comes up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE0gsrCzbnU

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig