As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    It's a highlight reel of the Megaman Gigamix volume 2 and 3. Those are all based on Hitoshi Ariga's takes on the characters.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm not a huge fan of the character design in that (everyone looks weirdly "off model"), but the overall animation was pretty cool.

Also still weirds me out to Dr. Light represented with an "R" :P You would think at some point an effort to get on the same page with the Light/Right thing would have been made :P

Edit: Watching it again, did I miss it or did they completely skip the shitty Mega Man 8 bosses in that? Seemed like every game was represented (even MMV GB) but not MM8 (or Rockman & Forte for that matter).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The bosses in 8 were rad.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The MM8 bosses show up in the last couple pages of the Gigamix manga (in a kind of "...and the adventures continue, maybe we'll write more..." kind of epilogue)

That fan movie is based on the final story arc of Gigamix which is kind of a mish-mash of the plots of MM8 (an alien evil force attacks Earth and Duo's involved) and MMV (the evil is actually the Stardroids), but otherwise only the bosses up to MM7 are represented. The adaptation-process of the manga is a little weird, as sometimes they'll directly cover a few of the games, but most of the time deal with stuff that happens after or between them.

Also everyone should totally read Megaman Megamix/Gigamix

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    It's a highlight reel of the Megaman Gigamix volume 2 and 3. Those are all based on Hitoshi Ariga's takes on the characters.

Set to the opening for Namco X Capcom. I realized why the song was so familiar once all the lined-up posing began.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    So, of all those VC games they are releasing, which are worth checking out?

Local H Jay on
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Mega Man 4 and 5 are the highest quality of the lot.
    4 is a standard Gameboy Mega Man (a mix of bosses and levels similar/same as from 2 of the NES games.) It also has an item shop you can visit.

5 has unique levels and the bosses are "unique.". As in, they're modifications of existing boss sprites. Venus is a modified Toad Man, for example. It also had new mechanics in that Mega Man's fully charged buster shot is now a rocket fist like the Super Adapter in 7. You can even upgrade it do things in the item shop like extend the range, grab items, or grab onto an enemy and repeatedly hurt it until death. I'm a huge fan of this one.

Mega Man 3 is also a solid game, but 4 is where the graphics peak and they introduce the item store.

2 is a sloppy port that Capcom let an inexperienced team handle. Not unplayable but bad music (shrill gameboy music) and awkward levels due to Mega Man's sprite and levels not being properly redesigned for gameboy resolution.

I have not played much of Xtreme 1 but its a demake of MMX. If I recall correctly, it has bosses from X1 and X2 similar to the classic Mega Man GB games. I don't know the common opinion of this one, but I know it lost my interest once the novelty of 8bit X wore off.

Xtreme 2 is similar to Xtreme 1 with a horrible story and lots of cutscenes, but it has the awesome addition of Zero who is close to his MMX4 appearance. I enjoyed this one as you get 8bit X and Zero to play as. The Xtreme games have not aged as well as the others, partly because of the busy 8bit sprites based on 16bit sprites, with limited colors and the controls take a little bit to get used to.

I wish they would use the japanese boxart. They killed the joke

• SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of the character design in that (everyone looks weirdly "off model"), but the overall animation was pretty cool.

Also still weirds me out to Dr. Light represented with an "R" :P You would think at some point an effort to get on the same page with the Light/Right thing would have been made :P

Edit: Watching it again, did I miss it or did they completely skip the shitty Mega Man 8 bosses in that? Seemed like every game was represented (even MMV GB) but not MM8 (or Rockman & Forte for that matter).

I wonder if it's intentional for a form of Wordplay/pun.

Dr. Light when spelled with an R is Dr. Right, or Dr. R. Wily doesn't change, but it's Dr. W. Dr.R(ight) and Dr. W(rong).

Don't know if it's intentional, but it works.

SomeWarlock on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, of all those VC games they are releasing, which are worth checking out?

IV and V are the good ones. The others can be avoided. (III isn't BAD, but it likes to kick you in the balls.)

Tried out Xtreme since I had 5 bucks in the account and figured somebody should take one for the team.

Good news is, it's pretty nice looking for a GBC game, and the controls are normally decent.

Downside is the damage balance is shot to crap. Basic enemies take too many hits, killing your flow. But bosses?

I've only gotten to one so far. Chill Penguin.

His health bar is twice the size of yours. Your charged shot does about the same damage as his most basic spammable attack, and if you touch him, that's a little under half your lifebar gone.

Well, you're up for a challenge? No problem. The game worried you might be, so his attacks are almost completely made up of invincibility frames. And sometimes he gets invincibility even when he's not attacking, because fuck you. And his projectiles block yours, even when you charged up because, again. Fuck you.

Still game? Well, some of his attack patterns, chained up, are impossible to dodge, so you have to take a hit. Which can kill you!

Fun!

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Between the half size arena and dash being available by hitting the start button or double tapping the direction you're going, there's a good chance you're going to get hit.

I discovered that if I treated it like an 8-bit Mega Man game, I was able to beat Chill Penguin. Now Spark Mandrill is giving me hell as I figure out the best way to cheese his pattern. It also seems that you can't turn and shoot the Shotgun Ice after dashing.

And my hand is cramping.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Xtreme has very little original/remixed content, but it's a decent 8-bit demake of MMX and X2.

MM2 is considered the worst of the bunch, and if I remember correctly, it was made by a different developer group.

MM3 I hear is middle of the road, but I've never played it.

MM4 is one of the best and revolutionary (for the series, at least) of the lot.

MM5 is entirely original, and also top-notch.

MMXtreme 2 is back to remixed content and more original content, plus the ability to play as Zero-- something you couldn't do against these encore bosses originally.

Click the links above for some articles on these.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Xtreme would be more playable if start(Dash) was mapped to Y instead of select(Menu). Also you should probably turn on auto charge.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    unfortunately xtreme is limited because of gameboy

might go dig out some of my zero/zx carts instead

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Just follow Dr. Light's advice
    zlCfzR4BsDA-P2wlzZ

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Remember when Capcom was all like, 'well if you really wanted MML3 so bad you should basically make the game yourselves'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZEdw_VVaAQ

Some fans are just making the fucking game themselves.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/25/fans-hoping-make-mega-man-legends-3/

uyvfOQy.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    That is pretty badass. Good luck and godspeed to them, and let's hope Capcom doesn't C&D the shit out of the entire thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    But will it have Blackjack? And Hookers?

I wonder how Capcom will react. C&D is kind of where the mind goes first with fan games, but they will be -so despised- if they do that. Like moreso than ever, and you gotta figure they know that.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    On the flip side: These "fans" know damn well what the reaction is going to be. To the point where the super cynic in me doesn't see this as a labour of love, but as one giant fucking dare.

This is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. Nobody is going to be happy when this bomb goes off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    On the flip side: These "fans" know damn well what the reaction is going to be. To the point where the super cynic in me doesn't see this as a labour of love, but as one giant fucking dare.

I think it's half and half. Half "we really want to see this game realized" and half "SEE CAPCOM? WEREN'T YOU SAYING THAT FANS DIDN'T WANT IT ENOUGH? WELL, IS THIS ENOUGH?" middle finger raised.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think the Mighty No.9 kick starter results already shot more holes in Capcoms "fan support" excuse than anything else could ever.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm sure if they get C&D'd they'll just pull a MN9 and make enough trivial changes to the character designs and names to skirt the law. And Capcom will deserve it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm sure if they get C&D'd they'll just pull a MN9 and make enough trivial changes to the character designs and names to skirt the law. And Capcom will deserve it.

Yeah, that's the best end result I think. Or maybe Capcom hires them or something, or if they do get C&D'd maybe Inafune & Inticreates pick up some slack for them but those two options are probably less likely.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Delzhand wrote: »

Trin Thigghe

Ultraperson Walnutt

Somersault

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Mighty Number 9 Legends

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Thanks for the vid. Reminded me that song existed.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    That promotional video looked way better than what I would have expected for an amateur team.

edited May 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iEFfOBP1o

Edit: Oh snap, my coloring is in the final choices! (everyone vote for #5!)
    H04I63FZHA2EHwljeHHvJI3pnEDOgljOzzIhGL_NpINpEr5a2C43D0do8im7Z4i2LuVUKJOV_l8ysrL7Drthm2PyKYw9XgbdTfE5nxxmDqcIXhhsrzBK6eUiiJ-gnCZYPQ

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I dunno....#4 looks tight...

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I voted for yours, Warlock. I would have anyway cause I like green.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited May 2014
    I feel like mine being the only green choice gives it an edge, at least with there being three of the choices making it into the game:
    Now this is the best part… after talking with Inti Creates, it was decided that three different colorations of the support character would appear in the game!! These three would include the Backer Version chosen through this survey, the comcept Version and the Inti Creates Version chosen by our staff.

I think anyways, if I'm reading that right. It sounds like comcept and Inti Creates are going to pick their favorite too, unless they have their own color scheme in mind?

Warlock82 on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iEFfOBP1o

Edit: Oh snap, my coloring is in the final choices! (everyone vote for #5!)
    H04I63FZHA2EHwljeHHvJI3pnEDOgljOzzIhGL_NpINpEr5a2C43D0do8im7Z4i2LuVUKJOV_l8ysrL7Drthm2PyKYw9XgbdTfE5nxxmDqcIXhhsrzBK6eUiiJ-gnCZYPQ

You're lucky green is my favorite color.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    That video looks fantastic. I wonder what the "100%" stuff is though. Maybe all the xel you've picked up in the stage?

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    God this game looks amazing.

Also, where do you go to vote on stuff like that?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud

If you signed up for their forums, they send you an email with the survey link. I'm not sure but I think the links themselves are unique.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

If you signed up for their forums, they send you an email with the survey link. I'm not sure but I think the links themselves are unique.

Thanks for the info.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Playable Roll at 1:42 there. Neat.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Looks a bit long....maybe I need shorter arms...