As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[American Political System] Its Knicks Knacks and Paddywacks

TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam WeRegistered User regular
This thread is NOT a thread about whatever politician said or did what this morning or about the latest political scandal (unless of course it is relevant to what this thread is going to be about).

Okay so I'm making this thread mostly because I've got a question about something to do with the political system and I figure the actual system behind how America's government operates is kind of a giant mindfuck labyrinth where finding anything out usually requires a degree or two just to know what question to ask so I'm making a thread for questions about the minutia of American Government. The little rules no one usually hears about and only get brought up in extreme circumstances. Along with anything along the lines of "how does this happen" or "what does this fall under" or otherwise.

Anyways.

Suppose Hillary Clinton does run for President.

Could Bill be her running mate?

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I seem to remember something about the VP having to be a legal candidate for the Presidency itself.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    No, he could not, as he is not legally eligible to be President.

Also, in the order of succession, if the current office holder is ineligible, then that position is skipped. (This came up when Albright was SecState, #4 on the list.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    That's sort of a shame.

I mean it's not like Bill won't be in the Whitehouse but

I like Bill.

Man knew what he was doing.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It should be noted that's just the common interpretation. There's enough room for a bunch of lawsuits testing it if people wanted but since nobody is likely to run that risk it will probably never be fully resolved.

Which should tell you a thing about our wonderful government.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    It should be noted that's just the common interpretation. There's enough room for a bunch of lawsuits testing it if people wanted but since nobody is likely to run that risk it will probably never be fully resolved.

Which should tell you a thing about our wonderful government.

That's how the only Third Amendment case wound up ending at the Supreme Court - "we don't know how to rule, because of the lack of jurisprudence."

(That's an interesting case, by the way.)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    There was a Third Amendment case in the supreme court?

scuse my while I wiki

• Options
    Yep, there was! Involved the state housing scab prison guards in state owned employee housing while the regular guards were striking.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    That's sort of a shame.

I like Bill.

He really did not. Fuck him forever for signing Gramm-Leach-Bliley if nothing else. Though he was generally incompetent and started the Clinton tradition of hiring absolute morons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    That's sort of a shame.

I like Bill.

He really did not. Fuck him forever for signing Gramm-Leach-Bliley if nothing else. Though he was generally incompetent and started the Clinton tradition of hiring absolute morons.

Well I'm not saying he was perfect.

But compared to W.(ar) and C.(rimes) I'll take Bill and Al.

Or really any of the last like five republicans presidents.

Anyways. Yeah that third amendment court case was interesting. It's one of those things that you don't ever learn about in highschool unless you grew up when it happened.

Trace on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    That's sort of a shame.

I like Bill.

Well I'm not saying he was perfect.

But compared to W.(ar) and C.(rimes) I'll take Bill and Al.

Or really any of the last like five republicans presidents.

Anyways. Yeah that third amendment court case was interesting. It's one of those things that you don't ever learn about in highschool unless you grew up when it happened.

Actually, I did learn about it in high school, to be honest. The civics course I took as a senior used Caroline Kennedy's book on the Bill of Rights as a textbook, and it covers that case as part of the analysis of the Third Amendment.

(The book is worth reading - it goes over each amendment clause by clause, detailing a specific case that raised a Constitutional question over that clause, or demonstrated why that clause was added.)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Angel you're a repository of interesting knowledge.