As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online Fraud attempt

pricerpricer Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
My email was used to join a well-known US store, thought it was spam mail until I saw emails regarding orders being placed - I did the standard email reset and have gained control of this account. Turns out this person was trying to order macbooks etc, has a US address and a VISA card (thankfully not mine). All orders didn't get processed, so I'm guessing stolen credit card. So what are my next steps, I'm thinking email company detailing what happened and suggest fraud flag be placed on card and address? Anything else?

76561197967313421.png
pricer on

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    If they're not your cards, I don't know there's anything you can do.

They could have just typed the wrong email address and you said the orders were denied, so the owner probably has already canceled them.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't involve yourself or your information anymore. Just check your cards/accounts and turn on 2 factor auth for your emails.

• Options
    Cubic JohnCubic John Registered User new member
    I'd go ahead with e-mailing the company about the probably-fraudulent customer; they can probably then contact the credit card company to alert them to the possible fraud, and maybe the authorities if appropriate.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Full virus scan, malwarebytes and/or spybot for spyware, and TDSSKiller for rootkits. Much of this, particularly TDSSkiller, is better done in safe mode.

Unless the store doesn't do email verification for some stupid reason, the person using that account appears to have access to your email address, which means he got the password from somewhere. The big ones are a compromised service which you have an account on and your computer (either via phishing or malware). Dealing with the first means finding all those accounts and making sure they don't have the same password as your email, dealing with the second means scouring your computer with the holy flames of justice.

Hevach on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    There is a chance you just changed the account information for a person who legitimately made that account and purchase and accidentally mistyped the email. I get emails for other people who accidentally typed my email for a store or other service all the time. It happens from having a very old and relatively easy gmail account. I've gotten high level executive communications from several companies in Myanmar and Malaysia, a doctor's cancer test result from new zealand, and many more. I just send a response saying they've got the wrong email address and I usually get an embarrassed thank you in reply.

And Hevach, a lot of stores and services on the net don't confirm email, and many that do ask for confirmation don't actually require the confirmation to be completed. The first one that comes to mind that I've used is the humblebundle store which you don't even need an account to make a purchase.