As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Workplace smoking bans - Some facts and figures

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well put it to the people, some states have and the people have voted for smoking bans. I guess smokers don't make the polls as often?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love living in a tabacco state. Smoking is still allowed in most nice restuarants / bars / some stores. In general, people just don't seem to care at all.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well put it to the people, some states have and the people have voted for smoking bans. I guess smokers don't make the polls as often?

They don't allow smoking there.

ZING!
    an_alt wrote: »
    mastman wrote: »
    speaking of which, Miami University (Ohio) banned smoking on all its property. Outside and in. Starts January 1st.

Yeah, that's definitely taking things too far.

I swear the mentality of some people is that if you can smell a hint of smoke you'll catch cancer.

It's not even that. Some people honestly don't care if there are health effects involve...like the guy from page 1. They just don't think they should ever have to smell it, because it's "icky." Seriously, fuck those people.

That, or I want to see some more support for my patchouli ban.

mcdermott on
    edited September 2007
    Well you can't necessarily legislate people for reeking like hippie shit, but you can tell people they can't smoke inside places. Apples to oranges.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2007
    I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around the fact that fully 20% of heart attacks were caused directly by second hand smoke.

Actually, probably more than that. Since second hand smoke ostensibly causes serious long-term damage, then the actual number of heart attacks attributable to SHS is likely much higher. Presumably, if they keep this ban, number of heart attacks will continue to plummet. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if every heart attack in the world is somehow caused by SHS. I mean, smoking kills half a million people in the US each year (by which I mean that half a million people who have ever smoked even one cigarette die by some means or another, but you know, same thing). I bet SHS kills the rest.

Ponce de Leon had it all wrong - the secret to immortality is smoking bans.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited September 2007
    Well you can't necessarily legislate people for reeking like hippie shit, but you can tell people they can't smoke inside places. Apples to oranges.

Hey, wow, I agree. But dumbass on page one was saying we should ban it pretty much everywhere but inside your own home (including outside)...because regardless of a lack of adverse health effects, he didn't even want to smell it. Because it offends him.

This is what I was arguing against. Do you disagree?

mcdermott on
    edited September 2007

Bullshit. Ban patchoulli, problem solved.

My wife is horribly allergic to certain pollens. Ban those flowers from outdoors.

She's also allergic to perfumes. Ban perfume.

It's all very doable. And there are externalities to allowing all of these things. It's not apples to apples at all; it's more like Fujis to Granny Smiths.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Hey, wow, I agree. But dumbass on page one was saying we should ban it pretty much everywhere but inside your own home (including outside)...because regardless of a lack of adverse health effects, he didn't even want to smell it. Because it offends him.

This is what I was arguing against. Do you disagree?

But your hypothetical is flawed, smoke is bad for you. It can cause an adverse reaction in a lot of people. I don't disagree that banning things because it offends people is retarded. Yet this forum you can't say certain words, so I guess offense can be legislated by those in power.

If you outlaw hippies, only hippies will be outlaws? Good I fucking hate people who don't bathe.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    But your hypothetical is flawed, smoke is bad for you. It can cause an adverse reaction in a lot of people. I don't disagree that banning things because it offends people is retarded. Yet this forum you can't say certain words, so I guess offense can be legislated by those in power.

If you outlaw hippies, only hippies will be outlaws? Good I fucking hate people who don't bathe.

The concentration of smoke you'll inhale from passing a smoker on the sidewalk is highly unlikely to cause adverse health effects. I breathe worse air up here for months on end during fire season. Also, this forum is a private establishment, and rules here have no bearing on a public policy argument.

And regardless, it wasn't my hypothetical. It was his. He actually postulated that, even assuming no adverse health effects, smoking should be banned except in one's home. Simply because of the offensive smell. Which is fucking retarded.

mcdermott on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Today they ban smoking, tomorrow they bring back prohibition. By the end of the week they'll be tattooing 'X's on the backs of our hands at birth.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    Agreed in that respect, though I do hate smokers for not only the smell, but all the god damn garbage they leave behind.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    Why not ban fast food? There is a statistical correlation between consumption of fast food and an increase in obesity and other health problems. While you may not be passively eating it, the same arguments involving strain on health care apply. I find the smell disgusting and offensive. It also leaves a mountain of garbage.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    Today they ban smoking, tomorrow they bring back prohibition. By the end of the week they'll be tattooing 'X's on the backs of our hands at birth.

"Hello citizen, what is your boggle?"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    Why not ban fast food?

Some people are trying to do just that.

ElJeffe on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't say it was because of the offensive smell alone. I said it's because of the people who seem to think that blowing smoke on someone's face isn't somehow offensive. It makes me coff. It smells horrible (yes actually, where I am from, cooking extremely bad smelling food on the street is considered offensive and rude, hence, people do it in their own houses, where they have the right to do so) I don't seek these people actively and go tell them that they shouldn't smoke. It just happens. I walk past someone, they blow smoke to my face, it makes my eyes water, tastes and smells freaking horrible, makes me koff like hell for the next twenty minutes.

I don't see why banning that is so awful. I mean, we have pretty much banned cars without catalysators, factories can't pollute the air and cause people to cough anymore because a law probhits it, and every similar thing is considered equally bad.

If someone builds a coal factory right next to your house, that would suck, wouldn't it? You would complain about it? Yet when some kids smoke under my window that isn't somehow a bannable offense? When someone sits next to me and starts smoking, I'm the bad guy? Does anyone not see the hypocrisy in that?

Like I said, why do smokers get a free pass from causing uncomfortability to people? I don't see the logic in it. When you choose to participate in, something that causes people next to you difficulty to breathe, you usually do it where other people are not subjeted to it.

I went too far when I said it should be banned on anywhere except your own house, yeah, but I really don't want to suffer from it when I walk on the streets or anything similar to that.

DarkCrawler on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "mellow greetings, what seems to be your boggle?"

Fixed. God I love that movie.

It's only a matter of time before they ban everything. Then people will revolt and my ultimate dream of a real life "The Postman" will be realized!

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited September 2007
    I thought Snipes said the hello citizen what is your boggle line though? Either way I doubt we will end up in a land of oppression, angry people with guns will prevent that from happening a long time before red meat is outlawed.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    None of those "horrible smokers exposing me to as much smoke as possible" things have ever happened to me. Do you live in an area with an unusually high concentration of dickheads or something?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    Yeah Evil he lives in America, where being an asshole seems to be some peoples goal in life.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    None of those "horrible smokers exposing me to as much smoke as possible" things have ever happened to me. Do you live in an area with an unusually high concentration of dickheads or something?

It seems so. Very high concentration of new smokers in Finland seem to be assholes who think that because smoking isn't banned on some areas it's right to walk past people and not even bother to turn their head to other side when they blow their smoke away, or sit next to them in public bench for example and start doing so. Or there was this one asshole who thought it was okay to smoke on the balcony and get tobacco smell all over some old lady's sheets that were being dried out, and when complained said that he had the right to do so and the old lady should take his clothes somewhere else. Or the damn teenage assholes who think its okay to go and smoke in a yard of some multi-story building when they hide from their teachers who try and catch all the underage smokers.

I have relatives who smoke, and somehow they *gasp* manage to do it somewhere where it doesn't annoy people. Sure, they could do it in a park or something, but they actually care about their fellow man and respect people who don't want to have anything to do with smoking, and realize that their choice shouldn't affect others in any way. I really don't understand people who can't do the same.

DarkCrawler on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    imbalanced wrote: »
    Fortunately, that gives smokers a reason to leave their crappy cubicles during the day and go outside. I consider that a win for smokers.

unless it's winter. It's always fun watching the smokers freeze their asses off at winter.

You need a hobby. Although amusingly enough I prefer to smoke in the cold over hot and humidness.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited September 2007
    A hell of a lot of people do manage. A hell of a lot of people manage to smoke in public places without deliberately irritating the fuck out of people. Why punish them because of dickheads who will be dickheads regardless, just in another equally annoying way?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    imbalanced wrote: »
    Fortunately, that gives smokers a reason to leave their crappy cubicles during the day and go outside. I consider that a win for smokers.

unless it's winter. It's always fun watching the smokers freeze their asses off at winter.

You need a hobby. Although amusingly enough I prefer to smoke in the cold over hot and humidness.
    The most satisfying cigarette is the one you have outside, on a freezing cold day, in a nice warm jacket and with a nice hot coffee.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    The biggest hospital/med school in Portland just initiated a complete tobacco ban on their entire campus and all buildings.

What say we to that?

Medopine on
    edited September 2007
    Medical personnel who smoke crack me up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    The biggest hospital/med school in Portland just initiated a complete tobacco ban on their entire campus and all buildings.

What say we to that?
    It's unnecessary.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    Medical personnel who smoke crack me up.
    And there's a hell of a lot of them too.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    That's like a mechanic with a broken car. "I know this shit is terrible for me, but jesus I need to light up."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, people deciding to do things when the are well informed of the risks because they consider the enjoyment they derive from it to be worth it sure is stupid.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007
    Yeah, people deciding to do things when the are well informed of the risks because they consider the enjoyment they derive from it to be worth it sure is stupid.

Well...wait, it isn't?

Medopine on
    edited September 2007
    A hell of a lot of people do manage. A hell of a lot of people manage to smoke in public places without deliberately irritating the fuck out of people. Why punish them because of dickheads who will be dickheads regardless, just in another equally annoying way?
    Why leave the dickheads unpunished?

And is it really a "punishing" if they can still smoke on designated areas and their own homes? Why do they feel the need to smoke at the exact spot they want to do it in, when there are non-smoking people around who may obviously get bothered by it for a completely logical reason?

Like I said, as long as they don't bother anyone, leave them alone.

DarkCrawler on
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy killing myself, I just do it slowly so others can watch me suffer. Thanks grandpa! I hear smokers hack and cough all day, I'll never understand what "enjoyment" people get out of increased respitory diseases and increased cancer chances (to themselves mind you, ignoring shs). Anyone who smokes no adays with all the evidence out there of your untimely demise is an idiot.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2007

So you are okay with drugs? :|

DarkCrawler on
    edited September 2007

If the people taking them fully understand exactly what they are doing to themselves by taking why should'nt I be?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007

If the people taking them fully understand exactly what they are doing to themselves by taking why should I?

How about seatbelt laws?

Medopine on
    edited September 2007

If the people taking them fully understand exactly what they are doing to themselves by taking why should I?

How about seatbelt laws?
    How about prohibition?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited September 2007

How about seatbelt laws?
    How about prohibition?

How about answering the question, eh?

Medopine on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

If the people taking them fully understand exactly what they are doing to themselves by taking why should'nt I be?

Strong drugs impede judgment, anyone on narcotics is not fit to understand exactly what they are doing to themselves.

DanHibiki on
    edited September 2007
    1) Theres already another thread along those lines.
    2) Prohibition laws are a lot more closely related to the subject at hand.

Regardless, if a person decides, fully informed of the risk they are undertaking by driving a car while not wearing their seatbelt, to drive without wearing said seatbelt I have no problem with that and do not see why there should be legislation prohibiting it.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The obvious answer is we need to invent bubble helmets. Smokers can smoke inside them all they want and leave the res of us alone.

And since smokers do it, it'll be cool and hip and all the kids will want head bubbles.

shryke on