As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Omeganauts, Assemble!

JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in PAX West
It looks like the Omeganaut calls are already underway complete... I can say this with some certainty since I just got the the Omega-call (much to my surprise and delight).

So, fellow Omeganauts take a moment to come forward and introduce yourselves. Former Omeganauts, please share your hard fought Omegathon wisdom.

Cheers and Omeganauts, Assemble!

PAX Prime 2014 Omeganauts (On Twitter)

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
JobiwanKenobi on

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Just on the rare chance I get a call, what is their policy about voicemail? for those of us who screen/might not be able to answer the phone and congrats ofc :)

Rhea_starstorm on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just on the rare chance I get a call, what is their policy about voicemail? for those of us who screen/might not be able to answer the phone and congrats ofc :)
    If you are not there, they move on. No voicemail.

• Options
    To all new Omegas, it was the highlight of my PAX experience last Prime. I encourage you all to say yes if you get the call.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    ZOMG @JobiwanKenobi‌ !!!!!!!!! There aren't enough exclamation points in the world!! Congrats!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    vespachica wrote: »
    ZOMG @JobiwanKenobi‌ !!!!!!!!! There aren't enough exclamation points in the world!! Congrats!

:D

I need to turn the next 88 days into a Rocky training montage.

PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    Congrats! I hope my "varies but mid day to night works best" answer will work for them. As long as they don't call in the next hour then I'm good... If they call that is :smiley:

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    okay thanks for the information :)

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    My phone was upstairs... I didn't expect this to happen so soon, thankfully no missed call.

CALL ME KHOO!

• Options
    LtHummusLtHummus Registered User regular
    Well this is awkward!

But I'm in the Omegathon too as your 2013 runner up.

Even weirder is that my coworker just got a call saying he's in the Omegathon too.

So that's weird. I'm sure he'll say hi here.

CoasterMaster on twitter.

• Options
    texelottexelot SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited June 2014
    I got called. I'm freaked out a little bit (just a little).

LtHummus is actually sitting right next to me. We're coworkers. I _was_ going to cheer for him, but I don't think that's happening now. Hah.

What are the odds.

texelot on
  • Options
    emberBeckyemberBecky Los Angeles, CARegistered User new member
    So it would appear that I am also an omeganaut! AAAH!

I just got my call about an hour ago. At first I was hoping it was my work calling me off but I think this was better I think. ;) I spoke to Khoo! I'm still sorta trembly from shock.

I don't know how well I'll do in the competition.. my gaming skills are wobbly and usually worse under pressure. Also my gaming history is a bit scattered so I may have missed some touchstone games that could be in the competition. Time to tackle that backlog!
    Regardless of how I do, I'm super excited that I get to be a part of this and I'm looking forward to meeting the other omeganauts. :smiley:

Also, this will be my first PAX. O_O

• Options
    JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Welcome to the fold, and pray to whatever heavenly powers you may have faith in that your first round is not as harrowing as Perfection.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    @emberBecky‌ -- That's exactly how it was for me, too. Don't worry; you'll have lots of fun! Just relax. And I hope you don't have a kid who tells you that you suck at games because nothing wrecks a self-esteem faster than that. Haha. Congrats, though! You never know how these things will go!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    emberBecky wrote: »
    So it would appear that I am also an omeganaut! AAAH!

I just got my call about an hour ago. At first I was hoping it was my work calling me off but I think this was better I think. ;) I spoke to Khoo! I'm still sorta trembly from shock.

I know this feeling... I've started to think of it as Omega-shock.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Hopefully calls are still going underway. Being an omeganaut is a dream.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    Hopefully calls are still going underway. Being an omeganaut is a dream.

I am holding out hope that due to the "best time" question they will space the calls out trying to give each person they select the best opportunity to get the call.
    So, here's hoping for tomorrow morning.

As long as there is nothing official saying they are done I can dream. I can dream.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I wrote in my app that it was best to call me after 5, but I got an unknown call at 12:30 today...

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    To all new Omegas, it was the highlight of my PAX experience last Prime. I encourage you all to say yes if you get the call.

I can't recommend this enough. Its a great experience and don't worry about stage fright or anything, you won't really even notice people are watching with how into the games you'll be.

• Options
    ahwingahwing Registered User new member
    New here! Just got the call from rkhoo that I'm going to be am omeganaut! Could hardly believe it, thought I would just sign up for fun because what are the chances!! I'm very rusty on my gaming skills tho hope it won't be a total humiliation haha

Just wondering, from past omegas, are there any perks to being a omega? And what I should expect?? Any info and experience sharing is good! Thanks!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't expect any perks, but if you get some, all the better. Some years, there have been perks, but other years there have not been. Sometimes one Omega will screw it up for others. I would assume no perks and then be pleasantly surprised on the first day of PAX if you get told there are some.

Edit: as far as what to expect? Well you should plan on going to all the rounds from the get go, even if you get eliminated early. The camaraderie among the omeganauts is something pretty great, and is not to be underestimated. These are the only other people that will have the same ups and downs as you throughout the weekend. Stick together! Be a good sport, cheer each other on!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    HelloItsKTHelloItsKT Registered User new member
    Just got the call. No idea what to expect. Kinda excited and giddy.

• Options
    Shade wrote: »
    I can't recommend this enough. Its a great experience and don't worry about stage fright or anything, you won't really even notice people are watching with how into the games you'll be.
    Except during reverse jenga >.>

• Options
    piriyuupiriyuu Registered User regular
    I also got the call today. Giddy and super nervous!!!

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

That round was brutal to watch.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DyanneNovaDyanneNova Registered User regular
    I got the call! I think I said yes loudly enough for the whole hotel to hear me.

I've only ever watched the final rounds of the Omegathon when at PAX, so I'm going to have to load up on youtube videos next week.

• Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    I didn't get a call :(. Unfortunately, I think I put after 5pm or 6pm PST on the form. Now I wish I said anytime because I usually am available even though I'm at work.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    My friend just got the call! I will be directing her here shortly!

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    Looks like Khoo is still making calls:

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Welp, they aren't screwing around this year. Now, you can have that feeling of utter panic all summer. This year's crop will be absolutely neurotic by PAX.

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    The whole Google Doc system makes me wonder what the probability of getting picked this year was. Only the person buying badges could enter, and (I guess?) only those with a set of 4-days could actually be put in the pool. Then subtract off the 1-3 additional sets on X number of orders that people bought for their friends, and subtract off those who just didn't check their email/didn't enter.

Knowing PAX's turnstyle is ~100000 since 2013 (because of 4 days rather than 3, which was ~70000), I'd say maybe... 15000 real people actually have a 4-day or a full set of 4 days. Then take off the 1 to 3 extra sets that some people bought and take off those who didn't enter... Man, I 'd say chances could be anywhere as low as 1/5000 (or even lower). Of course, this isn't based on any statistical evidence. I'm just bored and messing around with numbers while I wait next to my phone.

Please let one of those remaining calls be me.

• Options
    mewissamewissa Registered User regular
    :open_mouth:

*Waves nervously... then jumps up and down with uncontainable excitement*

I got the call not too long ago and Khoo's first question was to make sure I was awake. I forgot I had written "I like sleep" on the timeframe, AND I has just woken up from a nap not too long prior.

Please don't tell me I'm still dreaming!

It's an honor to have this opportunity even if I totally end up doing horrible!!

• Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    The one time I don't have my phone on me. Got the call but I was upstairs. Oh well.

• Options
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    That round was brutal to watch.
    It was nutty because I was first. The guy who built the tower for reverse jenga talked to me later on, and I had said something about the tower being so tight. He said he had built it just fine while practicing beforehand, but when he had to build it in front of the crowd the first time, he was a little jittery too. It resulted in the tower being built too tight, which is why my opponent and I took so damned long. For the second grouping, he built it the way he intended, and as such it went /much/ smoother.

I've defended papers and given talks in front of large technical conferences, I had a panel for the first time at Prime 2013, but the most nerve racking experience I have ever had in front of people, by far, was that reverse jenga round. I was just SO tense while it was happening that afterwards it felt like I had been repeatedly punched in the gut. It was SO awesome. I was ultra lucky to have so many friends in the crowd supporting me. @chaosisorder‌ even brought me cupcakes after each round I passed :) it was good motivation.

I fully intend to cheer on our runner up, @LtHummus‌ for every round I can make it to.

• Options
    The one time I don't have my phone on me. Got the call but I was upstairs. Oh well.
    Better luck next time, man. I didn't get a call at all, but I'll be right beside you enjoying the gripping competition that is The Omegathon.

• Options
    banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    @banghi checking in!

Was pretty fun getting the call, although I guess I ruined the surprise. I knew right off what was happening and just started gushing 'yesyesyesyesyes'... As if I wasn't amped up enough for my first PAX, now this!!!

pax
    clt
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Reverse Jenga round best round.

Whaddup. :)

gl hf to all the new Omegas!

LtHummus on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    People may want to check their inbox's.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Why is that?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Zombicus wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Why is that?

Because SmallLady needs a bunch of information from the Omeganauts. She says this is all for the program and the cool banner, but it's really to figure out what games will provide maximum torture entertainment value. :)

LtHummus on