As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Doomsday

• CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That is superboy stuff is just like Neil Gaiman claiming that he is owed royalty for the characters he brought into the Spawn series. As far as I am concerned, the original author owns the entire universe that he creates and any subsequent characters added by other authors to that universe.

Well, given the Siegel and Shuster created Superman, who is largely recognized as the first hero, and thus ushered in the creation of the entire DC Universe....

Hell, by your standards, the Siegel's are actually owed more money, since it wouldn't be unreasonable to think of Siegel and Shuster as the original authors and thus the 'owners' of the DC universe.

From a legal perspective, though, all original creations are the property of their creators unless they sign a contract stating otherwise. So Neil Gaiman was in the right in the case you mentioned. What I'm getting at here is that your conception of intellectual property rights is both bizarre and contrary to the law.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I'm watching it right now.

It's so good.

"Oh hell."

That line was perfectly delivered.

Other than a few quibbles with the art (supes cheeks, and mercys nose mostly) this movie is made of awesome.

LockeCole on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It wasn't too bad. I liked the brutality of the villains, it lent more weight to just how nasty they were compared to the standard "no one really seems to die" fare in cartoons.

I liked the Lex look. He had more of the mad scientist look that he's had in some of his better stories. Lois I thought looked like Terry's GF from batman beyond... wasn't "bad" but was a lot different than I would have chosen. Supes was overall fine except the already mentioned Diamond cheekbones... the chin being softer might have helped as well.
    Those are all just nitpicky tho... I did have some big issues with the story however (aside from it just needed to be longer).
    Doomsdays revised origin wasn't too bad, it served the purpose well enough. I could even do without the JL run ins, even if I thought they served as an excellent way to show that this guy meant business. I also liked the slow reveal of the monster beneath the suit in the comic book better than the in your face reveal here.

The overall fight, while brief, was also pretty good. It showed a lot of the brutality that doomsday had. However, the things from the Comics that I felt need not be changed in that fight were:
    1) Supes struggling to try and get doomsday out of the town and failing several times to do so.
    2) Superman getting busted up badly. Bruises, ripped costume, blood, etc. Then he went all out on Doomsday. That was very VERY briefly touched on in the Movie. The blood scene with Lois's face was good however.
    3) The ending of the fight in the comics was MUCH more emotional and very iconic. They had the cape on the rebar scene, but they didn't have the window smashing punching in front of the daily planet. Supes staggered out but it lacked the "punch" of the comic panel (pun untended).

I agree this would have made a better 2 part or trilogy, as it was simply too condensed. The Doomsday part of the movie was trivialized, in fact the clone superman was just as big of a fight, and seemed more sinister. There was no real impact to his "death" There was barely any mourning period. There was no intense reflection or sense of loss in the movie at all. Likewise there wasn't any sense of mystery. You had one clone who everyone accepted was Supes alive and well again. There wasn't a mystery surrounding his "rebirth" like the comics had.

Not that you needed all of the different Supermen, but at least 2-3 of them would have worked out quite well. Steel, Crenshaw, and the clone for instance (this could have been the eradicator reborn via Luthor if they wanted to keep him as part of it).

Anyways... it was enjoyable, more than I'd expect of many direct to DVD comic movies, but as usual with a detailed and interesting story (Complaints about Doomsday aside) there was a lot of untapped potential.

EclecticGroove on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It looks like it's just a dollar to rent on amazon.com

Link.

emnmnme on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Charmy wrote: »
    That is superboy stuff is just like Neil Gaiman claiming that he is owed royalty for the characters he brought into the Spawn series. As far as I am concerned, the original author owns the entire universe that he creates and any subsequent characters added by other authors to that universe.

Well, given the Siegel and Shuster created Superman, who is largely recognized as the first hero, and thus ushered in the creation of the entire DC Universe....

Hell, by your standards, the Siegel's are actually owed more money, since it wouldn't be unreasonable to think of Siegel and Shuster as the original authors and thus the 'owners' of the DC universe.

From a legal perspective, though, all original creations are the property of their creators unless they sign a contract stating otherwise. So Neil Gaiman was in the right in the case you mentioned. What I'm getting at here is that your conception of intellectual property rights is both bizarre and contrary to the law.

Yeah, the way I said it was pretty wonky. What I mean is thaty I think it is pretty strange that Superboy as a character has to be erased from a universe that he is an integral part of.

I suppose that the IP law does contradict what I said, it is just that emotionally as a fan it sucks to see a big character written out due to something like this.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    You know who's voice was annoying?

Mercy.

But that's just because I loved Drawn Together, so all I could think about was Foxxy Love.

I hate Cree Summer as a voice actor. Every character, no matter how old, that they put her on, sounds like a child. All I can hear anytime she speaks is Susie off of the Rugrats.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the way I said it was pretty wonky. What I mean is thaty I think it is pretty strange that Superboy as a character has to be erased from a universe that he is an integral part of.

I suppose that the IP law does contradict what I said, it is just that emotionally as a fan it sucks to see a big character written out due to something like this.

I agree, but your beef should be with the company that doesn't want to pay royalties to widows.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    The movie was great and I recommend it to any comic fan, but there are some minor problems I had with it.
    the final words were different than in the comics. It should have been something like, "Doomsday...is he?" or some variation. While the version they used was similar, it didnt have the same impact as Superman showing the concern for the world, wondering if the monster was defeated. When he dies in the comic, its like once Lois told him it was okay, he could let go. It's a comic fan nerd rage thing, but I had to bring it up.
    So, totally different to the part where Lois tells Superman it's okay, and then he lets go?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »
    KVW wrote: »
    The movie was great and I recommend it to any comic fan, but there are some minor problems I had with it.
    the final words were different than in the comics. It should have been something like, "Doomsday...is he?" or some variation. While the version they used was similar, it didnt have the same impact as Superman showing the concern for the world, wondering if the monster was defeated. When he dies in the comic, its like once Lois told him it was okay, he could let go. It's a comic fan nerd rage thing, but I had to bring it up.
    So, totally different to the part where Lois tells Superman it's okay, and then he lets go?

As I said, it was more a comic nerd thing than a complaint. They were very similar, but different enough for me to notice. The cartoon spelled it out more when the comic was more subtle about it. It was still one of the high points of the movie and it's more like a Lord of the Rings fan complaining about things changed for the movie despite how awesome they still turned out.

KVW on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That a pretty good blog you got there

Algertman on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Watched this movie, thought it was great, etc. etc.
    The only complaints I really have is that the Doomsday fight could've been even more brutal (costume ripping, bruises and such) and the ending to that fight was a little less epic than I would have liked

Also there was no cyborg Superman, which is such a shame because I loved cyborg Superman

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The only complaints I really have is that the Doomsday fight could've been even more brutal (costume ripping, bruises and such) and the ending to that fight was a little less epic than I would have liked

Also there was no cyborg Superman, which is such a shame because I loved cyborg Superman

Which could have lead into that taking over of emerald city or whatever its called in a sequel.

DarkWarrior on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never read the comic, is this movie relatively true to the source material?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007

Which could have lead into that taking over of emerald city or whatever its called in a sequel.

Coast City

and the whole point is that these are standalone movies

Garlic Bread on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Coast City

So...no overlapping or no sequels?

DarkWarrior on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

No. One and done.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007

Coast City

They were supposed to be iconic stories, but I think the Wonder Woman one is a new story (or is it her origin story?)

Garlic Bread on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Coast City

They were supposed to be iconic stories, but I think the Wonder Woman one is a new story (or is it her origin story?)

I think it's a retelling of the Perez / Wolfman origin.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Watched it, loved it.

Kevin Smith's cameo was excellent.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been thinking that having no real continuity might give the writers too much freedom. This doesn't apply to New Frontier, which is essentially a one-shot universe anyway, or any origin story. But with Judas Contract, and with this movie, the writers may have had too much freedom to add/remove/ignore/change characters.

that helper robot. That thing just annoyed me. It was nothing more than a big Deus Ex Machina that covered for all the little impossibilities and allowed the story to be told in 70 minutes by threading all these plot points through one all-powerful character.

HadjiQuest on
    edited September 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I've been thinking that having no real continuity might give the writers too much freedom. This doesn't apply to New Frontier, which is essentially a one-shot universe anyway, or any origin story. But with Judas Contract, and with this movie, the writers may have had too much freedom to add/remove/ignore/change characters.

that helper robot. That thing just annoyed me. It was nothing more than a big Deus Ex Machina that covered for all the little impossibilities and allowed the story to be told in 70 minutes by threading all these plot points through one all-powerful character.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelex

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God, it's better if they don't have to stick to any continuity.

Comic book universes have been going on for so fucking long that they're huge, convoluted messes that have to get "fixed" every 10 years. I'd rather they be able to simply tell the story and be done with it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I really like the done in one format.

I don't want "To understand why Luthor is bright pink, watch Superman: The Rainbow Raider."

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This movie was fucking awesome.

Anne Heche's lois grated on me a bit in the beginning, but I liked her well enough by the end of it.

Smith's cameo with the Giant Spider thing was an awesome callback to an Evening with Kevin Smith.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

I don't want "To understand why Luthor is bright pink, watch Superman: The Rainbow Raider."

Why is Superman raiding a rainbow? For the whole story, watch Superman: Hey, that Rainbow needs a good raiding.

The Muffin Man on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why is there a rainbow?

Watch Batman: The Rain.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got a Doomsday issue around the time of the Death of Superman. It came with a Mattel DC Superheroes toy. Now, I like to think I have a pretty okay grasp of DC continuity & history. But in this, Doomsday punches Supergirl and she devolves into some protoplasm mass of jelly. Apparently that's just what was going on at the time.

I'm really glad to hear that this movie cuts the continuity strings out.

Lux on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Eh, it was pretty ok.

I hope they do better with New Frontier.

deadonthestreet on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Eh, it was pretty ok.

I am very sad that New Frontier is stuck being only seventy-some minutes long

It deserves at least ninety minutes, and I'd prefer two hours

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Eh, it was pretty ok.

I am very sad that New Frontier is stuck being only seventy-some minutes long

It deserves at least ninety minutes, and I'd prefer two hours

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here..

bychance on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You may be making fun, but I would watch that without a doubt

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

California.

Bloods End on
  • Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so netflix says I will have a "very long wait" before I get to see this

spectacular

Chief1138 on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As someone who doesn't really have any interest in DC or Superman stuff, Death of Superman is probably the only bit of DC storyline I am really familiar with (thanks to reading the novelisation via my local library rather than the comics).

Overall I was happy with the movie, it wasn't great but definitely enjoyable. I had the same gripes that others seem to such as
    the hideous super-face, supes not making any effort to move fights away from densely populated areas, and the extremely S&M scene with Lex and Superclone in the rumpus room, where by the end I was waiting for Lex to go in for the pash.

It has definitely sparked my interest in seeing more DC animated stuff, up until now I've only seen the odd episode of Batman Beyond and skimmed past episodes of Justice League. I will have to see what I can find on DVD.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2007
    picture5hz6.png

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    picture5hz6.png

That was probably my favorite scene.

KalTorak on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, my biggest gripe would probably be
    So Doomsday "dies" along with Superman... then what? I found it kind of irritating that there was no mention of how the body was disposed of or otherwise. You would think Lex would have shown as much interest in that as he did with Supermans body.

Not a deal breaker of course, I just felt like there was no closure :) I suppose the real reason is that they weren't acknowledging any other superheros in this version, so without Superman or one of his replacements, there was noone to eject Doomsday into space... so they just pretended it didn't exist anymore.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

you and me both

it'd be the cutest first date

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2007
    And most colourful

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    just watched it.
    fight choreo was frikken amazing. no kung fu "hiya!!" style, but how 2 combat savvy powerhouses would fight. Also, i think im going to make punching bullets my new hobby.

anne heche did an ample job. sorry i just cant get over dana delany's voice. she completely revitalized the spunkyness that is lois lane. Supes TAS no longer had just a damsel in distress but a strong female lead, only to be horribly set back by the lois lane portrayed by kate bosworth.
    anne heche did a good job. but no woman can outclass dana as lois.
    if a man could bone a voice, sign me up for the beta tests

delphinus on