As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World Cup!! Brazil vs Chile 12pm EST, Colombia vs Uruguay 4pm EST

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I did happen upon this mobile-friendly and local time zone adjusted schedule though: http://www.tapinguide.com/calendar.html

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    That link is cool, I like that it has the team overview and rankings if you click on the match.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, totally bookmarking that on my phone.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Yeah, I was thinking about putting together a page with Eastern Time, WEST, and AEST but now I don't have to. Only thing missing is TV but that's easy enough to find out on short notice, at least here.

In the meantime, before you get too high/low about the US's pre-WC friendlies, remember that Luxembourg drew Italy today.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I just wish any of these 'your local time' things would recognise that, you know, where I am it's an entirely different day.

I haven't found a single app or website, including FIFA's own, that realises the first match takes place 8am on Friday where I live.

Fortunately, I am not stupid, but after a couple weeks of 4am wake ups, that shit's going to take me a few minutes to work out.

So do they adjust the timestamp correctly but fail to fix the dates, so that it shows up as 8am Thursday?

That seems both easy to overlook and easy to fix, but I'm no web programmer.

Also all this talk now has me reading about time zones on Wikipedia and this is now my new favorite chart:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Time_Vs_Standard_Time.png

It essentially shows how far away each area of the world is away from "solar time". In most places, 12:00 PM is not "solar noon", which is actually the point where the Sun is directly overhead in the sky. The more red a place is, the further behind (i.e., in extreme Western China solar noon is actually at like 2:00-3:00 PM).

Yeah, basically.

It's probably not much of a hassle to code, but somewhere around Australia you'd have to start dealing with Matchdays where one game starts before midnight and the next falls after, and then you'd have to make some sort of design call about your presentation whole page layout and how you present different days... adding something as moderately redundant as the date probably violated some web design consultants principles of clean design minimalist web aesthetic buzzword per diem.

Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah, basically.

It's probably not much of a hassle to code, but somewhere around Australia you'd have to start dealing with Matchdays where one game starts before midnight and the next falls after, and then you'd have to make some sort of design call about your presentation whole page layout and how you present different days... adding something as moderately redundant as the date probably violated some web design consultants principles of clean design minimalist web aesthetic buzzword per diem.

Yeah, they probably just hardcoded the dates in for each box since that works for Americas and Western Europe.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Any Americans going to any of these last friendlies being played here?

SoccerFriendlies_w.jpg

I would go see Spain vs El Salvador(and the D.C. United double header) but they're at Fedex Field which is god awful. And I need a new car atm so spending is out of the question.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    LISTEN UP! Send me your email addresses so I can invite you to the bracket group I set up on ESPN. Please use your forum name for your bracket name.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    why do we need to do it by email

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not seeing any code... The only way I see to add people is to send invites. If you know a way for me to change that, please let me know.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Any way to post the link to the bracket and we can join ourselves?

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I am seriously concerned that a stadium will partially collapse during this.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I am seriously concerned that a stadium will partially collapse during this.

But they're Latin! They aren't used to deadlines, so it's no problem.

I'll try and find a link soon... Heading into a meeting.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Ribery is out of the World Cup. If only France had an outstanding midfielder available to take his place.

Oh wait, they didn't bother putting Nasri on their 30 man roster.

Assuran wrote: »
    Oh wait, they didn't bother putting Nasri on their 30 man roster.

For good reason... He's a giant disruptive asshole.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Nah

PSN- AHermano
    He's a scapegoat

PSN- AHermano
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    No diamond today from Klinsi, I think this is probably very close to what we see from the US when they line up against Ghana.

Altidore
    Bedoya Bradley Dempsey

Beckerman Jones

Beasley Bessler Cameron Johnson

Howard

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Ok Altidore now do that a couple more times

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    Well, he got another one!

US has dominated the run of play in the 2nd half.

I really liked the look of the team coming out. And if bedoya gets those final balls right and dempsey actually plays then we're golden

sirtoons.png
    Dang, wish I had remembered to watch this... From what I've heard of it, it makes me feel a little better about our chances though. At least so far as not losing *every* game...

Well, you can get the official highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhjLa2-iR4k

@oldmanken‌ whats the deadline?

sirtoons.png
    I think it closes when the first game starts

@oldmanken‌ whats the deadline?

I'll lock everything in at noon CST tomorrow.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hello world cuppers

as a non-soccer fan, i am attempting to absorb as much soccer knowledge as i can in order to watch world cup games with maximum excitement

tell me cool and/or helpful things to this end, please

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    How much do you know already? The basic rules?

PSN- AHermano
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    On behalf of all Americans without cable, I would like to thank Univision (and its sister station Unimas) for playing every game live and over the air.

Vamos Estados Unidos!

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i know enough to have reffed intramural soccer very mediocrely in college, but i know basically nothing as far as strategy goes, or anything about the players/teams

i did just read this grantland article though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    @Theodore Floosevelt

http://www.zonalmarking.net

That's a decent site for the tactical side of soccer, got previews on all the teams too.

If you want a hot tip, keep and eye out for Bosnia's matches and Chile too, both play attacking football, Chile were great to watch last World Cup.

Also Argentina have some of the best attacking players in the world, should be good.

Is that what you're looking for?

PSN- AHermano
    Hermano wrote: »
    Theodore Floosevelt

http://www.zonalmarking.net

That's a decent site for the tactical side of soccer, got previews on all the teams too.

If you want a hot tip, keep and eye out for Bosnia's matches and Chile too, both play attacking football, Chile were great to watch last World Cup.

Also Argentina have some of the best attacking players in the world, should be good.

Is that what you're looking for?

ah yes! this is excellent

muchas gracias, my boy

and yes i appreciate all hot tips and/or contentious semi-informative biases

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Also, most of the time the opening matches are pretty cagey, dull affairs, as teams can't really afford to lose the first game, so don't let it put you off too much.

PSN- AHermano
    Go grab the two World Cup preview episodes of Football Weekly (from the Guardian). Subscribe as well, because they'll be doing daily shows during the tournament.

<3 James Richardson <3
    <3 Barry Glendenning <3
    <3 Sid Lowe <3
    Fuck Fernando Duarte!

This discussion has been closed.