As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• SuBByDewSuBByDew Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    How will we be getting our PC's into the BYOC area on the day?
    Since the MCEC runs the parking, will there be a temp area we can park to drop off the PC's?

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    If its like last year, there will be a specific BYOC carpark area - a reserved spot (you still have to pay for it though) is included for each BYOC ticket.

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Montablac wrote: »
    if i recall correctly, a BYOC ticket only gets you a slot for a computer for the 3 days, you need another ticket to attend on any one given day

IE. to bring a PC and go all three days would require a BYOC ticket along with either a 3-day pass or one ticket for each day, while if your time limited and can only visit one day, you would need a BYOC ticket and a ticket for the day you wish to attend

so following that logic id say if all the days tickets are sold, there would be no point in buying a BYOC ticket unless you had ones on other days, as you personally wouldn't be able to attend.
    My question is not about if all the tickets are sold is there any point buying a BYOC ticket.

The terms and conditions say you can't buy a BYOC ticket unless you have three days worth of tickets. Now you can not buy the 3 days worth of tickets required to purchase a BYOC ticket. I was asking what is the current BYOC policy. I.e. can you still buy a BYOC ticket? Even better can I buy two BYOC tickets to get more room on the table?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    SuBByDew wrote: »
    How will we be getting our PC's into the BYOC area on the day?
    Since the MCEC runs the parking, will there be a temp area we can park to drop off the PC's?

At many PAXen there is a special BYOC load\unload area for Friday and Sunday. Rest assured they understand you have gear, and will need an easy way if at all possible to get it to your table. You may still have to walk a ways though, MCEC is still a big building, and the room BYOC is in might not be close to the entrance.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • SuBByDewSuBByDew Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    edited June 2014
    Beker wrote: »
    At many PAXen there is a special BYOC load\unload area

I know this, I took my PC last year but I was just wondering how they will do it with the MCEC as the parking situation is different to the showgrounds and probably wont be close to the BYOC area I would think.
    Hopefully they have a good solution for getting our PC's to the BYOC area without hauling them across the MCEC which would not be fun.

SuBByDew on
  • WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    minty737 wrote: »
    CuZZa wrote: »
    Melbourne: Getting there and doing things in it

What airport should I fly into?

Melbourne International Airport (MEL) also known as Tullamarine Airport. Domestic travellers be aware - the cheaper flights sometimes will come in via Avalon, which is about 45 minutes outside of Melbourne and is closer to Geelong. BEWARE. Geelong is not a good place to accidentally end up.
    !

Aren't there buses or other transport options into the city from Avalon? If its cheaper, there are going to be a few people who want to fly there. Or do you not recommend going through Avalon/Geelong at all?

Avalon is a long way from the city, often more expensive to fly into (there are less flights) and it'll cost you more to get to the city because public transport doesn't run often out there. Fly into the other airport if you can :)

• L7 AccessL7 Access Registered User new member
    yallo! I was wondering if you can buy a pax ticket while on the day you are there (Australia - Melbourne) because I want to go on Saturday but I know they are sold out but I just want to get in on Saturday, I don't mind if there is a huge line or extra fee but whatever as long as I get in.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    L7 Access wrote: »
    yallo! I was wondering if you can buy a pax ticket while on the day you are there (Australia - Melbourne) because I want to go on Saturday but I know they are sold out but I just want to get in on Saturday, I don't mind if there is a huge line or extra fee but whatever as long as I get in.
    If a type of badge is sold out, it's sold out. There will not be more available at the door.

• stickwriterstickwriter Registered User regular
    Going to my first pax this year :)

A question: Is there an artist alley / comics area?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited July 2014

There are often a handful of artists that have some relationship with PA that are there in Band Land, but not an artist alley like you are probably used to. Hard to say who will make it to Aus though.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Well, considering it's a gaming convention, the Indie booths would count as an artist alley?

But in terms of indie comic makers and arists, no, unless they are specifically buying a booth to go to PAX, there isn't a set area for them.

• justjustin2300justjustin2300 Registered User new member
    Am I able to buy an international pass if I am in Australia I only found out about pax 2 months

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    An international 3-day pass is for non-Australian attendees to have an opportunity to get a 3-day pass. It requires proof of being a non-Australian in order to pick it up. Otherwise it's the same.

So no

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • elSpikeelSpike SingaporeRegistered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    An international 3-day pass is for non-Australian attendees to have an opportunity to get a 3-day pass. It requires proof of being a non-Australian in order to pick it up. Otherwise it's the same.

So no

Actually, that isn't entirely true. The requirement is a passport and flight details to pick up the tickets. Australians who live in other countries are eligible for the international 3-day pass if they can prove they live internationally and are flying in to attend.

"3-Day International Badges: An allocation of badges has been set aside for international attendees. All badges need to be collected on site, presenting a copy of your passport, flight details and email confirmation of your badge purchase."

Yeah, citizenry probably doesn't matter, it's more about residency I think, but in general there probably aren't too many people for which that's a big issue. The person asking the question said that he/she is in Australia, and therefore likely would not qualify.

• SmithereensSmithereens Registered User new member
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows when the Omeganaut calls will go out?

Just so in the off chance I get a call I won't miss it.

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows when the Omeganaut calls will go out?

Just so in the off chance I get a call I won't miss it.

I believe..and don't quote me, that they were done earlier this week.

• MontablacMontablac Registered User regular
    the email said that the form closed on 2/9/14 (or 9/2/14 for you Americans) and that the calls would go out some time after this, but gave no indication as to how long after.

seeing as were currently only on 4/9/14 (perth time as of the post, and once again, 9/4/14 for you Americans) then id say they may need a bit more time to sift through the staggering amount of applications

Wouldn't it be terrific if everyone just used the international standard for date/time?
    2014-09-04 ;)

And yeah I doubt that calls have gone out yet. I think that info would be available on the pax aus twitter.

• KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    I have an email too, stating those dates. My question was going to be whether it was legit or not, and hope to be valid despite being slightly late. (Being at another PAX was my excuse...)

Was not sure if it was an email phishing for my PAX confirmation code.. is that safe to provide?

Dominic
    sig.gif
    I would ask an official PAX Aus source before providing something like that. I am definitely not one of those sources.

Wouldn't it be terrific if everyone just used the international standard for date/time?
    2014-09-04 ;)

And yeah I doubt that calls have gone out yet. I think that info would be available on the pax aus twitter.

yes, that would be nice, sadly there are people who don't know about it and would argue what part was the day and what part was the month

most significant first or least significant first, month should always be in the middle! And now I'll stop cause I'm derailing the thread.

• SmithereensSmithereens Registered User new member
    Well I just missed a phone call from a private number, doubt it was for the omegathon but how will I know :(

Well I just missed a phone call from a private number, doubt it was for the omegathon but how will I know :(

when you filled out the form sent to you via email, there was a field for what time you would like them to contact you (round abouts). if you can remember what time that was, id be clutching your phone for an hour either side if i was you

side note, the private number might have been a telemarketer

Checked with my friend who Omeganaut'd at Prime and the email sounded legit. If that's the case, the first-round invites went out on 28th August (11:30 PDT), with a deadline of 2nd Sept.

May be useful info for those a-waiting.

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • TumbleSteakTumbleSteak Registered User new member
    For the board gamers out there a board game trade is being organised on Board Game Geek to coincide with PAX to make the transfer easier:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/178590/melbourne-only-no-ship-math-trade

• YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I should have been paying closer attention to this thread!

The emails were legit, and Omeganaut calls were made on Tuesday just gone. All Omeganauts have now been chosen :-)

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• yourwombatyourwombat Registered User new member
    ALL BADGES NEED TO BE COLLECTED at the Registration Desk in the Foyer Concourse on arrival. Please bring your passport and flight information (to prove you are traveling to and from Australia), or ID and purchasing credit card if you are local, together with your email confirmation, which includes a barcode.

^ This text is on the purchasing screen for the day passes. My parents will be purchasing my tickets via PayPal using their account. They will not be there so I have no way to bring a purchasing credit card. Does it matter if it's PayPal or not and how will I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

yourwombat wrote: »
    ALL BADGES NEED TO BE COLLECTED at the Registration Desk in the Foyer Concourse on arrival. Please bring your passport and flight information (to prove you are traveling to and from Australia), or ID and purchasing credit card if you are local, together with your email confirmation, which includes a barcode.

^ This text is on the purchasing screen for the day passes. My parents will be purchasing my tickets via PayPal using their account. They will not be there so I have no way to bring a purchasing credit card. Does it matter if it's PayPal or not and how will I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

This could probably best be answered by info@paxaustralia.com.au, unless @Yug knows.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    yourwombat wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

I have never had to provide a credit card. Would have been particularly difficult anyway, as I do not own one.

Never needed anything more than the qr code I think... Maybe a change of security to invalidate scalpers?

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just bring some form of identification to prove you are you. In fact, you'll need to provide that ANYWAY in order to get 15+ or 18+ wristband to get into the show.

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

Yug wrote: »
    Just bring some form of identification to prove you are you. In fact, you'll need to provide that ANYWAY in order to get 15+ or 18+ wristband to get into the show.

Now you mention that, I do recall the wristbands now. Seems to be an AusPax thing?

Dominic
    sig.gif
    It's an Aus law thing afaik

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yep, it's the law. How it worked last year is that those who were 18+ were given red wristbands and had no restrictions. Those 14-17 were given black wristbands and could be unaccompanied, but could not play/view 18+ material. Those under 14 (or whose age could not be verified) had to be accompanied by someone with a red wristband at all times.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KristovKristov Now known as Tazz1e -- Aus [E] HobartRegistered User new member
    Kevralyn wrote: »
    Now you mention that, I do recall the wristbands now. Seems to be an AusPax thing?
    As @whypick1 said, they were to do with the law - although I seem to think the colours were the other way around.

Basically, pre-PAX last year there were a lot of discussions between PA/Reed and the OFLC - Australian Classification Board.

Being the government, they were naturally very concerned that some underage kiddy might see something R-rated and wanted to ensure that appropriate steps were being taken to prevent this, and as there's a lot stricter onus in Australia on the actual booth themselves being responsible for the age-identification of people (and then in turn, being liable for any offences) there was a requirement that some formal age-identification be done in an easy way.
    To save attendees having to show their ID to every single MA15/R rated booth/event they went to inside PAX, it was decided that controlled wrist bands would be provided to attendees to wear for the 3 days, and this would suit all appropriate regulatory requirements - providing the booths were checking the wrist bands.

Or something like that.

• RapacityRapacity Registered User regular
    Hey @Yug‌,

Question about tickets being mailed out. If we still have yet to receive them in the mail at what date/time should we be looking to contact Pax Aus about it? (Probably still a bit pre-emptive but its nearly 4 weeks till Pax)

Interested in some board games the night before Pax Aus for 2014? Check the link below

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184666/traditional-pre-pax-boardgames-night-2014
    I am not Yug, but I don't believe tickets begin to be mailed out until 3-4 weeks prior to PAX. He can certainly give a better time frame than me, however, but I wouldn't have expected to get them before now.

• RapacityRapacity Registered User regular
    I am not Yug, but I don't believe tickets begin to be mailed out until 3-4 weeks prior to PAX. He can certainly give a better time frame than me, however, but I wouldn't have expected to get them before now.

I thought I heard people had started getting them already, I could be mistaken though. Thanks Zerzhul

Interested in some board games the night before Pax Aus for 2014? Check the link below

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184666/traditional-pre-pax-boardgames-night-2014
This discussion has been closed.