As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Cumulonumbskulls

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Cumulonumbskulls

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    And then in the next panel they all died.

• P2Mc28P2Mc28 Registered User regular
    I almost forgot to look for a kitty!

But then,

I remembered.

• TzivyaTzivya Registered User regular
    @maddoc Lies! They died long before the comic started.

• SinaitoSinaito Registered User new member
    I am regularly stunned/impressed by the creativity of my this comic. The Brian rage mode strip practically forced me to buy the t-shirt

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Hahaha great comic as usual, you set the bar high then continue to raise it Katie.

Oh yeah thank P2MC28, I'd forgotten to look for the Kittie as well :p

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Mean. Accurate. But mean.

• PsycheRachPsycheRach Registered User regular
    So good! Haha, your drawing skills are fantastic.

• AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    I know you like us finding cats and relating to the comic, so obligatory I FOUND THE CAT.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    AntonNUL wrote: »
    I know you like us finding cats and relating to the comic, so obligatory I FOUND THE CAT.

Strangely I'm still struggling finding it in this one. Sadfaced Mike is sad.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • ShadymanShadyman Registered User regular
    Can someone break out the spoiler tag for the kitty please?

Oh. OHhhhhhh. Nevermind, I found it! Sneaky kitty!

• comicchick81comicchick81 Registered User new member
    I read this every morning before work (4am) i'm proud in my half asleep state i can still find kitteh! :)

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe
  • Sovoq113Sovoq113 Registered User regular
    Found it!

• MikeyZMikeyZ Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble finding the cat...
    Is it in one of the clouds? I kinda see ... nah, I thought I saw a cloud with the ears....

edited June 2014
    I'm not gunna spoil the kitty...

but if you want a hint...
    cat's cannot fly and there's only one panel with land in :p

Talyn Rahl on
  • mordacaiMTmordacaiMT Registered User new member
    Ok. I'm going to be a little bit of a sourpuss here to my fellow commenters and you may choose to ignore this. But when your comment is about the hidden cat, I feel your comment is mostly a waste of space. Listen, we know there is a hidden cat. We know it's sometimes very hard to find. If you found the cat, great! Give yourselves a pat on the back. It's a fun thing to do. If you can't, keep looking or (if you must) ask for help.

Now, I don't want to presume anything, but Katie is making a full colored comic that updates twice a week. She puts a lot of thought and effort into the narrative, the characters, the design, and a ton of other aspects. You know how much time she devotes to drawing and hiding a cat? Minuscule. If it were me (and I recognize it's not) I would appreciate comments on the content of the comic; what you appreciated or didn't appreciate, how it made you feel or what it made you think. And if you don't have anything to share, then don't. If the majority of the comments consist of mainly "I found it!" or "I can't find it!" or "This kitty was hard!" or just "kitty :3" twice a week again and again and again with no valuable contribution, I'd get just a little sick of it. The cats are fun, yes. But this comic is SO MUCH MORE than the cats and I think the comments should focus on that.

I don't mean to ruin a fun thing, but that's what I think.

To follow my own advice, I really enjoy the great twist here. Creative cruelty is favorite pastime of some youth. My childhood is proof.

• AutumnWyvernAutumnWyvern Registered User new member
    Weewoo weewoo Here comes the fun police! It's like you've never seen the comments section on a webcomic before, or any art for that matter. Most comments on any artistic thing aren't actual comments on the quality of the art, how it made you feel, or anything deeper than an "lol I like it!" so "so cute XDDDD!" (and for some webcomics a huge pun train or "time traveler" posts)
    Hey if someone found the cat, then they probably gave the whole work a good look-over. So at least you know they may be taking in some of the smaller details. And, of course, actually reading the comic.

As an artist as much as I'd like to have good well thought out comments on my work, I know full well that 9 times out of 10 it doesn't happen. But I also appreciate ANY comment on my work regardless of how short or simple-minded it is. Granted, I rarely get comments on my work but that is neither here nor there. My point is just let people have their fun. It's harmless, and still technically on topic. Is it "right"? Debatable. But it is what it is and getting mad at people who aren't really doing anything won't get you anywhere. Chiiiiill

• rVanceBrVanceB Registered User new member
    I love mentally writing back stories for strangers on the street and train and at work (theater bartender). This reminds me of that quite a bit. Also, I found the cat. That seems to be very important.

• ManOfHonorManOfHonor Registered User regular
    Often I just can't wait for a new comic...

• saramasarama Registered User new member
    I don't mind the kitty comments, but I appreciate the attempted sentiment of mordacaiMT, and KATIE: you put out nothing but quality work here, what can I say?

• ChipsxxxixChipsxxxix WinnipegRegistered User new member
    First read - love the joke, and again it's good to see the world growing outside of the main characters. Second read - noticed and loved the clouds flowing together from panel to panel, making the entire comic one big scene. So I guess I would've loved to see the tree bleed up into the panel above it as well to put the final "perfect" on this.

Great comic, Katie.

• WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    From left to right..
    Insomnia, Kayan Refugee, Cancer.

I really like the idea of camp mutants now..

PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • Fool On The HillFool On The Hill Registered User new member
    The delivery of the joke in this comic is just perfect. I consumed it frame by frame, looking at each of the clouds as they were described. "Yes, that's the manatee, there's the rat, ok, what's next." The cliffhanger in Panel 3 had me looking carefully at the clouds for a penis joke or something.

That you tricked me into looking at the clouds in the first place made the payoff that much better.

Thank you Katie!!

• MortirothMortiroth Registered User regular
    Hahaha, those meanie girls! XD
    Fantastic pacing/framing(what am I trying to say?), I didn't expect that; genius :3

g9yqgramfjj6.jpg

The Misadventures of a very Metal Kitty!
  • KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    Hey guys! I just wanted to give my two cents about the comments debate. I feel honored that anyone would take the time to leave a comment, be it long or short. I sort of see "I found the cat!" or other similar comments to still be incredibly positive- someone enjoyed looking at the comic, and took the time to say something, and I'm very appreciative of that.

I also love it when someone feels enough about something in the comic to write a longer response, and talk about their own feelings and observations, but I know that sort of thing isn't for everyone (myself included, I rarely comment on the things I like because I'm too clumsy with words).

I guess to sum it up, I just want to thank you guys for continually reading and being wonderful in the comments section. I know they say to never read the comments, but it's been great so far.

Well Thank YOU Katie for continually producing GOLD.

And while "don't read the comments" is generally a code I live by (seriously... I've been permenantly scarred by some of the things I've read on Youtube) In general I've found the comments section on this comic to be one of the kindest I've seen on the net so far.

On the comment issue.. one of the great things about this site and this comic in general is that when you produce some of your deeper, more thought provoking comics (like the now LEGENDARY Darkplace), the discussion can get super in depth and that's wonderful, but at the same time when you produce a lighter comic like this I don't see the problem with lighter comments as well... Especially when kitty finding is clearly something you wish to encourage, even if someone just posts "Yay I found the cat" it's still there way of showing that they read and enjoyed the comic, as well as the extra activities you chose to weave into your ongoing narative. I don't see how that can ever be a bad thing.

So I'm 1/2 asleep and none of that probably made ANY sense, but to sum up:
    Katie, I love your work, thank you for continuing to be awesome and I hope you continue Wedonwantcha for a long time, so I can come here, discuss the deeper comics while laughing and hunting kitties on the lighter ones.

• mordacaiMTmordacaiMT Registered User new member
    Ok. I will yield. I can see your points.

• metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Well first off I found the cat, secondly I have no problems with the comments as they are :)

metfansc on
  • mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    i loled at the joke, and whoever actually looks like that rat boy. too funny

• mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Also it would of been kind of cool if the cat was a cloud in this one, or ceiling cat returns

• lofloloflo Registered User regular
    KatieJRice wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I found the Katie! :3

That was funnier and less creepy in my head.

• Twister2Twister2 Registered User regular
    This is why I don't associate woth girls.

• Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    They're so mean!

The manatee kid is so cute......

• Pastels_ParadoxPastels_Paradox Registered User regular
    I have adopted manatee child. Adorable!