As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Bungie's new IP has finally been leaked to the Internet!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
original.jpg

Welcome to Destiny!

From the creators of Oni, Marathon, Myth, and a little game called Halo, Bungie is ready to bring their next big IP to the gaming masses. Details are extremely scarce at this time, but the first information and pictures have started rolling out to game sites. Here's what we know so far direct from the images themselves (all spoilered for size):

What is Destiny?
original.jpg

What is the Story?
original.jpg

What are the Values?
original.jpg

Two final pieces of artwork:
original.jpg

original.jpg

So there we have it folks. What do we all think so far? Excited? Confused? Bring it on!

As a side note, my friend works for Bungie and refuses to spill the beans on Destiny to me. Every time I try and pry info from him, he just grins and says "It's awesome, but you'll have to wait like everyone else." :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    this looks so fucking boss

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited for Bungie to make a thing that I actually care about

And that art does indeed look choice

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this looks quite badical in my expert opinion as a person who rates the badicalness of things that are potentially badical

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If something that large was hovering over a planet, that close, it would cause serious gravitational issues. Other than that small detail of physics which I only point out because I am OCD about these things, this looks awesome, and I worship at the altar of Bungie.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If something that large was hovering over a planet, that close, it would cause serious gravitational issues. Other than that small detail of physics which I only point out because I am OCD about these things, this looks awesome, and I worship at the altar of Bungie.

It's a really potent image, so I'm willing to let that shit slide

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Knowing Bungie they'll have a suitably quasi-plausible explanation in the lore anyway. Anti-grav fields, strange matter, something.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    As long as I can play it on a computer like a proper Bungie game, I'm in like Flynn.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    it's video games

you gotta let that gravity shit slide. gravity only ruins games. not dying to fall damage and jumping way the fuck over shit is always better

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I wonder about that title image though. 360 and PS3? I mean, it could just be promotional stand in material, because the whole leaked imagery seems like investor slides. Seems odd to list any system at all though. This game seems far enough out that the 360 and PS3 should be in our rear view, if reports of their demise are to be believed.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I see Craig Mullins art!

Sold.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The gravitational field of the ship could be negligible for totally mundane reasons. Size is not mass after all.

So I see Activision on that promo piece up top. As much as I dislike them these days, they do at least publish games on PC still. That gives me a bit of hope.

Drake on
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    It kinda looks like its hollow on the inside, based on that next to last image.

Space knights sounds awesome.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So that art and those brief descriptions tickle virtually every sci-fi bone in my body and boy howdy am I looking forward to more info on this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I see Craig Mullins art!

Sold.

All of my monies.

I wish I could come up with something more original. But yeah. Want this game. Grind it up. Shoot it directly into my veins.

Hearing Bungie talk about hope despite dark circumstances has me optimistic. It'll be nice to have it not be a 40k retread.

This is the music that came to mind immediately.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Knowing Bungie they'll have a suitably quasi-plausible explanation in the lore anyway. Anti-grav fields, strange matter, something.

Space magic is the only answer I need.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    "Highly social" makes me wary as all fuck.

Edit: Is it this?
    According to the contract, unsealed as part of the ongoing lawsuit between Activision and former Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella, “Destiny” is a “massively-multiplayer-style” game, and the genre as having “client based mission structures with persistent elements.” Bungie plans to go beyond four games and four add-ons with the franchise, comprising “a blend of retail packaged goods sales, subscriptions, downloadable content, value-added services and micro-transactions.”

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/22/its-an-xbox-360-exclusive-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-720-its-destiny-bungies-new-game/

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I wonder about that title image though. 360 and PS3? I mean, it could just be promotional stand in material, because the whole leaked imagery seems like investor slides. Seems odd to list any system at all though. This game seems far enough out that the 360 and PS3 should be in our rear view, if reports of their demise are to be believed.

Could be placeholder for the real consoles, could be that they'll put the first game out on all four with the next gen versions looking spiffier.

edit: Wonder what "fun and accessible to all" entails. I'm down for some fun, simpler games. A lot of modern games are just too damn complicated for my old man brains/reflexes.

reVerse on
  • Options
    That last image in the OP is absolutely now my desktop background.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It sounds too ambitious for me to care about it really. At the end of the day it's probably Guild Wars FPS style.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    "Highly social" makes me wary as all fuck.

Edit: Is it this?
    According to the contract, unsealed as part of the ongoing lawsuit between Activision and former Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella, “Destiny” is a “massively-multiplayer-style” game, and the genre as having “client based mission structures with persistent elements.” Bungie plans to go beyond four games and four add-ons with the franchise, comprising “a blend of retail packaged goods sales, subscriptions, downloadable content, value-added services and micro-transactions.”

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/22/its-an-xbox-360-exclusive-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-720-its-destiny-bungies-new-game/

No mention of a PC release for this in that article. Interest fading rapidly.

Also it mentions that the game is supposed to come out in Fall of next year on the 360, with the rest of the games to follow in two year increments.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    It sounds too ambitious for me to care about it really. At the end of the day it's probably Guild Wars FPS style.

Which sounds pretty bitchin'.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Which sounds pretty bitchin'.

Right. It can be a perfectly good game of course, I just highly doubt we're about to see a revolution in multiplayer/virtual world gaming.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    This xbox or nextbox?

• Options
    DajoranDajoran Registered User regular
    FPS MMO FFXIII?

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Looks like Star HammerWars 40k the MMO to me. The one guy at the left of the "What are the values" promo picture even looks like a stormtrooper.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looks balla as fuck.

Console MMO will never work. At least on current gen.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So you have the last guys in special armor defending the remnants of humankind against mysterious aliens, and there is a strange and intriguing alien contraption that's as big as a moon which holds our destiny.

Didn't they release that on the Xbox 10 years ago?
    Also, loved the upside down Homeworld logo
    and the 3rd screen looks like Dragon agehalo

but seriously, this looks pretty cool.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If I can customise my space cape I'm all in.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just saw the headline last night and thought "meh", but this sounds pretty cool.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Sounds like another MMO tbh.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    As a side note, my friend works for Bungie and refuses to spill the beans on Destiny to me. Every time I try and pry info from him, he just grins and says "It's awesome, but you'll have to wait like everyone else." :D

Dudes are more willing to give up info if you threaten the testicles. I'm just sayin'...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Nah, from the second to last image you can see that it's relatively hollow, and comparing it to the clouds (and the mountains / city in the second image) there is no way it's more than 50 miles in diameter, possibly even less than that. The ~2000 mile diameter the logo image implies doesn't match up with the artwork.

At most, it would have the mass of a mountain range. Substantial and nothing to scoff at, but nothing close to causing 'serious gravitational issues' for a planet the size of earth.

Even if it was the size the logo implies, it's easy to handwave away with anti-grav fields, forcefields, lightweight materials, etc. Or maybe in the narrative it does cause serious gravitational issues. Earthquakes, massive tides, etc.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I see Craig Mullins art!

Sold.

Not Craig Mullins - its Jaime Jones who is equally awesome.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Dudes are more willing to give up info if you threaten the testicles. I'm just sayin'...

True, but he's also letting me crash at his place until I get a job. Not to mention the whole knowing an industry person will help increase my chances of getting an industry job so it's fair to say his testicles are safe....for now.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

True, but he's also letting me crash at his place until I get a job. Not to mention the whole knowing an industry person will help increase my chances of getting an industry job so it's fair to say his testicles are safe....for now.

Instead of threaten, fondle.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Instead of threaten, fondle.

Another viable option.

It's up to you. Press LT to fondle, or RT to threaten.

As for Destiny speculation, perhaps the game is about a boy named Jack who is conscripted into the Knight program at a young age. He grows up to become the most elite of the Knights. Kilo 117.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I dunno. I saw the recently leaked vids and it looks all right. The environments and the action don't look as exciting as Borderlands stuff, but I know I'm only seeing a little bit.

I want to see more gun and grenade variety. This guy sure favored that rifle. I have questions about the classes too.

I do like the idea of Peter Dinklage in my ear as I play.

Indoorsman on
This discussion has been closed.