As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D D&D: One Month of Roleplaying

1235»

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I was going to have the mind controlled goon throw his weapon away, and it occurred to me that he may as well wang it at someone's head.

I have fling, but haven't worked out how damage works for it, either.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Improvised thrown weapons do (Str)S damage, I believe. For Fling it's (Mag)S.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The Story of Three Brothers, a tale of intrigue and murder most foul

Once upon a time there was a magical land, this land had a reputation for magic at one time, but those days were over. Since then, it had grown darker and colder. There were glimmers though, and many Changelings, fleeing the ravages of captivity and cruelty ended up in this land. This land is San Francisco. Three brothers, brothers in bond if not in blood, lived in this land. Jolly was a giant of a man, his hands big and strong, for rending stone, or bodies. Pavot was the warm light of friendship and a companion who loved to feel the feelings of the finer things in life. Elwood was the twisted brother, a little smith who did not thrive on life like the others, but on fear. Upon the turning of the seasons, the three brothers attended the yearly gala party along with many others. All of them waiting for Winter to turn to Spring, and see the dawning of a new year. But on this night, the blossom of Spring would be plucked before it's time, and it's Queen lay dead. Suspicion and fear ran rampant through the Changelings, no one knowing who was responsible, but blame falling everywhere. The three brothers set out for answers, hoping to find the fiend who had struck at the heart of Spring. Knowing someone who might be able to help, the three brothers ventured to find a little woman called Whisper. Whisper supposedly knew everything that happened, and the old and frail looking Changeling was able to give the brothers what they needed most of all, information. Her price was steep though, but paid in full. A memory from each of them is what she asked, and what each of them gave. After that it was revealed that the assassin was none other than the right hand of the Summer Queen, and he was working with the brother's old tormentor. Armed with this information, they sought out the missing protector of the Spring Queen, hoping that he too had not been slain. They found him in a small house, cornered by huge wolves with blood red fur. Narrowly escaping into the Hedge, the brothers were able to save Drake, the one they were looking for. He confirmed the information that they had received from Whisper. They were not free from danger though, as one of the wolves had managed to track them in the Hedge itself. Already wounded, the brothers fought bravely, and it was the slim and unassuming Pavot that struck the blow that killed the beast. Undaunted, the brothers vowed to see justice done, and sought out to find Phoenix, the perpetrator of the murder of the Spring Queen.

Fearing the price that Whisper would demand for the information, they instead sought out the Autumn King, Mr. Tock, to ascertain Phoenix's whereabouts. Mr. Tock was a suspicious creature, and famed for knowing more secrets that anyone else was comfortable with. He directed the brothers to a warparty of the Summer Court. Without Spring to ascend to rule, the Winter King had maintained his icy grip on the throne. The Summer Queen could not stand this, and she sought to take the throne herself. With Winter and Summer fighting, the brothers feared that the Keeper would strike and the Changeling's Freehold would be broken. They raced after the war party and when they caught up to them they laid down the truth about Phoenix to the Summer Queen. Before they could render justice upon him, Phoenix's Keeper ally appeared with minions and a huge battle erupted. The fighting was hard, and many were injured. Huge golems of stone waded into battle, but were brought low. Pavot, who had slain the wolf before felled one of the giant beasts of stone himself with a mighty blow, as Jolly wrestled with Phoenix, hoping to subdue him. The three brothers, along with the Summer Court, the court of Wrath, were able to defeat the Keeper and the traitor Phoenix. Jolly carried the traitor back to face justice, and the Changelings cheered at the defeat of one of the True Fae. Without a monarch, Spring could not rule, but all knew that the seasons would have to turn or the Keeper would be back. With his reputation as the unlikeliest hero in battle, Pavot stepped forward to take the crown of Spring. Supported by the King of Autumn and the Queen of Summer, Winter was made to relent. Let that be a lesson to all. Heroes come from the least likely places, and even those who are feared by all can be defeated when brothers stand together.

I want to thank @Kedinik, @Rchanen, and @Kana for being great players and despite scheduling difficulties a couple times, being very dedicated. Truely this game would not have gone well with less excellent players.

I had a ton of fun running this, and I dearly dearly want to do it again. I really enjoyed the short time period, as it kept the story focused and tight. Also, I think that it could lend itself in some systems to a kind of episodic game, where different players and characters can be part of different stories but have them all happen in the same world.

Very cool, and another shout out has to go to @Jacobkosh for making this whole things possible.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    That is fantastic news. I'm going out of town this weekend but when I return I'm going to be in touch with the GMs and award our special 2014 D&D D&D badges to participants.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I hope this is a recurring event

• Options
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I hope this is a recurring event

I've already begun plotting and writing another two short, 3-5 session stories for different systems.

I hope to recruit DnD people to play them.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The mighty hero Pavot had two different instances of derring-do, one of which did not even involve making wolves want to eat him

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I'd love to do this again, though next time hopefully it won't be in the middle of the students panicking exam season and I'll be able to something with less complicated rules than Shadowrun.

Jacob is the most awesome of awesome peoples for organising this.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I just want to thank @Jacobkosh‌ and @LoserForHireX‌ again for making this happen. I had never actually gotten a dedicated RPG group together and run through a campaign before, and it was a lot of fun. It was also good to get to know @Rchanen and @Kana.

p.s. Long may the Opium King pavot reign.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So, I had so much fun running a game that I'm gonna do it again! Since I'm doing this on my own, I am going to pick the system. I don't really know the best way to handle signups. I have room for 4-5 people, and will be running the game over Google Hangouts. Voice is a requirement, but there will be no video. I've run over IRC, and I much prefer being able to talk. I'm hoping that those who are wanting to play will be able to work out among one another who will be playing. I am hoping to string together a bunch of stories, so after this game there will be more. If you lose your chance the first time around, you will be at the top of the list. I would also like to have a couple of people as alternates. Games are rocky, and sometimes unexpected things happen. I'd like to be able to have a backup in case that happens.

Now, the game. Deathwatch.
    DeathwatchBadge.jpg

It is the 41st Millennium, and there is only war. In this game, you will play a member of the Adeptus Astartes, a Space Marine. Implanted with genetic material preserved for thousands of years you were changed from a normal man to something so much greater. You are not even just a genetically engineered super soldier though, you are a symbol of everything great and magnificent in the Empire, the saviour of countless worlds. You are a symbol of power and hope. Honorable and powerful, you are the pillars that support the masses of humanity. It is a great and terrible burden that you bear, and in return you are treated as nearly gods. You have been seconded from your home chapter to the Deathwatch. The Deathwatch is an ancient Chapter of Space Marines that exists to destroy the filth of the hated Xenos. With arms and armor centuries old, you defend the huddled masses of humanity from uncountable enemies who would seek to kill or enslave every one of them
    The Jericho Reach is a region of space that knows war and conflict all too well. Lost for so long, the region descended into barbarism. Recently, the Imperium has begun to reclaim this region of space. The Achillus Crusade marches from world to world, but throughout even the dark years the Deathwatch has always been in the Reach. Numerous Xenos infest this area, threatening the dominance of the Imperium. From the strange and technologically advanced Tau, with their subversive doctrine of the Greater Good, to the insatiable appetites of Tyranids which would result in the extinction of all life. Even savage Orks burn and pillage their way across the stars, destroying everything in sight.
    Behind it all, the forces of Chaos loom, always a threat to not just the lives of good Imperial citizens and their protectors but also their souls.

As I said, this is a game for 4-5 players. Uh...I will make a list of all the spots and ask for sign ups. I can provide PDFs of the books that I will be using, and this is a decent wiki for beginning reading.

1. Moridin

Alternates/Backups

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I 100% endorse this!

• Options
    Well, it seems like crickets have settled in here. Is there any interest out there in getting a game together? Did I just pick the wrong system? What's up guys and gals.

I'd love to run something, and I have about 4 games in various systems that I've got in various states of being ready to go. But I miss having a weekly game, and I don't want to go through this summer without having that.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    This sounds like great fun but I can't do real time with people that many time-zones behind. sad face.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Well, it seems like crickets have settled in here. Is there any interest out there in getting a game together? Did I just pick the wrong system? What's up guys and gals.

I'd love to run something, and I have about 4 games in various systems that I've got in various states of being ready to go. But I miss having a weekly game, and I don't want to go through this summer without having that.

Have the game and the system. Can't do voice.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I can/would like to do it.

I have Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy, but haven't gotten to picking up Deathwatch yet.

Caveat, my work schedule is slightly erratic but normally midweek evenings are open

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I'd be into it, but my plate is pretty full. Sorry!

• Options
    Choco, you have broken my heart. I shall cry forever and ever now.

Moridin, that's fine. Deathwatch functions almost exactly like them system-wise. I think that the only thing that is unique to Deathwatch and The Black Crusade are the rules for attacking and dealing with Hordes. As Space Marines are bad ass enough to take on like 40+ dudes at a time individually.

Otherwise I think that it's all the same.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Might I just say as returning to this type of RP I am heartily glad to have had the company I did in @Nova_C‌ and @AresProphet‌. And @Thomamelas‌ was an amazing GM. Go Team Automata!

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yep. Thanks to Gonmun, Ares and Thom for participating in my first ever pen and paper RP game!

And thanks to @Jacobkosh‌ for setting this up!