As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recruitment] Fate: Accelerated Edition playtest for Avatar inspired Bronze Age Fantasy

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
The Sky Tribe is coming, a year’s time, maybe more and they will come and kill and loot as they have before. This time though, your clan will be ready for them. You are to gather the neighboring clans, spirits, gods and ghosts. You are to gain allies for the coming battle, do favors, offer gifts, and beat them into submission if you must.

What is this? A pbp game using the Fate: Accelerated Edition rules. I'm looking for 3-5 players, and you do not have to be familiar with F:AE or Fate games.

Who are we? You are a young champion of your tribe, as of yet unproven. The default assumption is that you are god-blooded, one of your parents a mortal the other one of the small gods or spirits in your clan’s territory, such as the god of a river, a spirit of fire, or the goddess of an ancient tree at the center of your territory. You inherit some power from your non human parent, such as control of an element like water or fire, or enormous size and strength. If you would rather not be god-blooded just choose some appropriate skill or background, such as being the greatest hunter in the clan.

What is Fate: Accelerated Edition? It is a lighter version of the FATE core rules, if you are a backer of the recent kickstarter you should have received it or will be receiving it soon. If you are not a backer but you have played a FATE game before then you should understand things fine, I can explain the differences in PM. If you are not familiar with FATE, don’t worry it is a simple system. PM me and I’ll send you a message explaining the basics of the system.

The World: FATE works best collaboratively, so right now it is painted in broad brush strokes and will be further defined in play. You are a Clan in the Earth Tribe. You have a territory where you grow crops and raise cattle and goats. You have neighbors who are also Earth Tribe who you sometimes have conflicts and feuds with but share your culture. Travel between clans is dangerous due to outlaws, spirits, small gods, and monsters. There is also the Sky Tribe which is your great enemy. Technology wise it is somewhere about bronze-iron age. You have metal tools but not many. The most common weapon is the spear or a bow.
The world is also full of spirits and small gods. Every notable place or thing in your territory has a small god, such as the rivers, a herd of cattle, or an ancient hill where the clan meets to settle disputes. These gods are offered proper sacrifices and prayers. At times these gods may take human(ish) form and take lovers among your people. The gods and spirits generally have little interest in raising any offspring from this instead letting the human parent take responsibility.
Outside your territory gods and spirits tend to be less humanlike and more hostile. Your territory is sacred and safe, spirits and gods are bound by ancient laws while they are in it. A god of spiders may demand sacrifice to let you pass its territory or it will devour you, while a spirit of fire outside the territory may just wish to burn whatever it can. The spirits can be enemies or allies. For inspiration for how these spirits look I am mostly mining things like Miyazaki or Avatar.

Character Creation: I don’t want to post the rules as it is being playtested. If you were not a backer PM me and I will send you a summary. If you have the rules I am just using the default character creation up to Step 6. Leave one aspect blank until everyone has created a character, and then everyone will get an aspect relating to a different character. For supernatural powers my main inspiration is Avatar and Wuxia, think things like the ability to control water, generating and controlling fire, transforming into an animal, being as strong as an elephant. Finally make two declarations, one about the Earth tribe and the other about the Air tribe which will become part of the game such as "The Earth Tribe's highest god is the Great Bull." or "The Air tribe takes slaves with them back to their secret city."

tl;dr Bronze Age Avatar: The Last Airbender inspired fantasy in F:AE

• Options
    Mr NayMr Nay Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    Wow, just wow.
    I joined this forum solely to reply to the pitch.
    I know this is really late but is there any chance of playing if I round up some players?

Mr Nay on