As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

Hmm. This seems to confirm that it's a reskinned Civ rather than an honest attempt at making a SMAC spiritual successor.

That's basically what SMAC was, too. Reskinned Civ 2, that is. It had a lot of distinct mechanics and fairly different visuals, but it still played very similarly to the game that was used as its base.

The narrative is what made smac great

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Do we know what the Seeding and the Great Mistake are? I hope it's in some link I neglected to follow!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Great Mistake is intentionally vague; basically humans fucked up the planet royally and it took centuries to dig ourselves out, and since the world is still pretty fucked, various countries are sending out colony ships in an event known as the Seeding.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Aw yiss transhumanism through genetic engineering or cybernetics.
    Why would I ever want to play as the purity faction?

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Great Mistake is intentionally vague; basically humans fucked up the planet royally and it took centuries to dig ourselves out, and since the world is still pretty fucked, various countries are sending out colony ships in an event known as the Seeding.

Intentionally vague for now, or are they going to reveal it in the game? Or in some novel addenda to the game?

(I thought that was what the Seeding was, but also thought it could be like... an agricultural disaster of some sort.)

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Really big guns and, supposedly, a flying fortress.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

"And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?"

-Sister Miriam Godwinson, "We Must Dissent"

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, but Sister Miriam was the worst, so I don't know if that helps.

To me, Purity seems more like the Spartans. Then again...

A handsome young cyborg named Ace,
    wooed women at every base,
    but once ladies glanced at
    his special enhancement,
    they vanished with nary a trace

-- Barracks Graffiti, Sparta Command

hippofant wrote: »

Intentionally vague for now, or are they going to reveal it in the game? Or in some novel addenda to the game?

(I thought that was what the Seeding was, but also thought it could be like... an agricultural disaster of some sort.)

I believe they've said it'll stay intentionally vague: the Great Mistake isn't the story, it's what comes after.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

"And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?"

-Sister Miriam Godwinson, "We Must Dissent"

You're just proving me right. Since Sister Miriam is by definition always wrong.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Lost me at generic, "How may the corporation serve you?"

:|

I'm not interested in a SMAC 'successor' if it doesn't preserve the elements of world-building, and that's a very sorry attempt at it.

With Love and Courage
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    But...but...I haven't learned how to play Civ V competently yet :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    The Ender wrote: »
    Lost me at generic, "How may the corporation serve you?"

:|

I'm not interested in a SMAC 'successor' if it doesn't preserve the elements of world-building, and that's a very sorry attempt at it.

They don't own the rights to SMAC, so they had to build something new.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    But...but...I haven't learned how to play Civ V competently yet :(

1) Get more food
    2) Get more hammers
    3) Get more :smile:

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Do we know what the Seeding and the Great Mistake are? I hope it's in some link I neglected to follow!

It's not spelled out but one of the theories they suggest in an interview is a limited nuclear war in Asia someplace. It wasn't the war the screwed things up, but rather all the refugees (imagine if a few hundred million refugees fled China or India for the EU or US) causing economic and ecological collapse. Some form of Climate Change (the great pyramids are flooded) is heavily insinuated as well.

The Seeding... picture Dandelions. You have life growing on one spot then casting small segments of itself off to the wind to hopefully start over in healthier locations. That's what the Earth Humans decided to do in Civ: BE -- cast humanity out to the multitude of Earthlike worlds in hopes that one of them might not be ruined.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Pulled this off reddit:
    KqeZAkN.jpg
    xGOBZT4.jpg
    EZpGWEV.jpg

Okay, that seals it.

I am going with the faction that keeps alien cyborgs OUT of our precious bodily fluids.

Yes gentlemen, they are on their way in, and no one can bring them back. For the sake of our country, and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Harmony retaliation. Uh, my boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth, and you sure as hell won't stop them now. So let's get going, there's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids. God bless you all.

Love how the tier 2 is using a straight up carbon copy of the base Heavy LMG from Enemy Unknown. I'd have thought they'd be using lasers or plasma by then, but oh well! The tier 4 one looks somewhere between a Heavy Plasma and Plasma Sniper, so I guess there's the compromise.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    #BeyondEarth launches October 24th, 2014 - worldwide. Pre-order for the Exoplanets Map Pack: http://2kgam.es/civbuyp

96058.png?1619393207
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Boo pre-ordering for stuff.

Not even Civilization gets a pass these days.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Won't even tell you what the dlc is...

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Hmm. This seems to confirm that it's a reskinned Civ rather than an honest attempt at making a SMAC spiritual successor.

That's basically what SMAC was, too. Reskinned Civ 2, that is. It had a lot of distinct mechanics and fairly different visuals, but it still played very similarly to the game that was used as its base.

The narrative is what made smac great

We must dissent.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The exo world map pack is basically alternative maps whose ideas are coming from currently discovered exo planets so probably just more map tilesets to play with.

• GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    There's some major shit flinging going on right now on boards like 4chan about how there's a distinct lack of Caucasian males as faction leaders, and how unlike in SMAC, they're based on regional Earth groups instead of ideologies.

Then there's the mainstay concerns about basically using a modified Civ 5 engine and the lack of a unit workshop, as well as the inability to change terrain levels and rainfall patterns, etc. like in SMAC.

Any of this grinding any gears amongst you rabble?

Glyph on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Glyph wrote: »
    There's some major shit flinging going on right now on boards like 4chan about how there's a distinct lack of Caucasian males

Fuckin' GOOD

captaink on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'd love a unit workshop as much as the next guy, but I don't need white male protagonists to be happy.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    SMAC faction leaders were based on specific regions, the factions they led were based on ideology. Also there were only three european-descended faction leaders in SMAC out of the original seven factions. Crossfire isn't even worth describing people as of a specific earth race as it's based after the first landfall and blooming.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There's some major shit flinging going on right now on boards like 4chan about how there's a distinct lack of Caucasian males as faction leaders, and how unlike in SMAC, they're based on regional Earth groups instead of ideologies.

Then there's the mainstay concerns about basically using a modified Civ 5 engine and the lack of a unit workshop, as well as the inability to change terrain levels and rainfall patterns, etc. like in SMAC.

Any of this grinding any gears amongst you rabble?

Couldn't care less.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'd love a unit workshop as much as the next guy, but I don't need white male protagonists to be happy.

Yeah the other stuff sounds like more or less legitimate complaints/requests.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I think I'll wait and see what the finished product is going to be before I decide what offends me (nothing) and what is missing (probably something).

I'm sure I'll still play it and enjoy it anyway.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    The one thing I do worry about is diversity in the game, what with only 4 factions. Hopefully the 3 paths keep things fresh.

I also never really like unit creators. They always feel like a time sink.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm a white male protagonist in real life. I don't need that shit in my video games. I want to be a genderless green protagonist who's really good at blackjack, drinks too much and hates Aston Martins.

Shimshai wrote: »
    I think I'll wait and see what the finished product is going to be before I decide what offends me (nothing) and what is missing (probably something).

That's the thing though, isn't it? This game was disclosed in April, due for an October release... and we still know relatively little about it.

They still haven't provided the profiles (or even art) for the four remaining leaders.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

How dare you ruin people's space hitler dreams.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I must be getting jaded in my old age that I just don't follow gaming news like I used to. We're getting it in October? Sweet.

Might get a discount in the winter Steam Sale :)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2014
    The one thing I do worry about is diversity in the game, what with only 4 factions. Hopefully the 3 paths keep things fresh.

4 revealed, 8 total. The remain factions still have simplistic (possible placeholder) names like Franco-Iberia, Brazilia, Polystralia and Slavic Federation.

I agree about unit creators but for different reasons. For one thing, it removes the distinctiveness we get from units like spearmen versus swordsmen versus riflemen and so on. I just didn't like how it basically let the developers get lazy with unit designs in SMAC, having us swap out one weaponized lawn mower for another when it came to infantry units, etc.

Glyph on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular

There is 8 factions, though only 5 have been released so far. The American Reclamation Corporation, Brasilia, the Kavithan Protectorate, the Pan-Asia Cooperative, and the People's African Union.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I agree that the sci fi world build stuff seems pretty generic and... not compelling this time around.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    Oh sweet, more civs! Also, Franco-Iberia or the Slavic Federation will probably have a white male leader. So 4chan's complaints seem even more pointless than they already did.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I agree that the sci fi world build stuff seems pretty generic and... not compelling this time around.

Before release of SMAC did you think the factions/world building were going to be amazing? Because theoretically that was basically generic sci fi. Fundamentalists! Environmentalists! Techies! Business! Peacekeepers! Commies! Individualists!

Not exciting.

As it turns out, pretty exciting.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

I think this owes more to there being less early fluff released to us this time around. Like with SMAC, we were constantly getting story chapters about
    what happened aboard the ship and on the early days of planetfall.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think this owes more to there being less early fluff released to us this time around. Like with SMAC, we were constantly getting story chapters about
    what happened aboard the ship and on the early days of planetfall.

Also it was 1999. Slight difference in internet volume in those days.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish