As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Book It

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Book It

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MickpuntMickpunt Registered User new member
    Comfortable cat

• generaputinholegeneraputinhole Registered User regular
    the selection is not that different from what one might find in the book section of a local Goodwill, Salvation Army, DMV, or similar donation-based thrift store.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    You'd be surprised. Sometimes you can find gems among the pile of unwanted books. There's a lot of great books that never got the praise they deserved (and even some that did, that are now out of print).

Also, I just bought all the Camp Weedonwancha merchandise, except the prints (I'd rather choose which ones to get). I hope Katie gets a good portion of that revenue.

• marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    "Late, Late at Night" by Rick Springfield better be a real book. *checks* It is!

• MrNumbersMrNumbers Registered User regular
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
    ― Groucho Marx

• TeddTedd Registered User regular
    Hey! That looks like my wife's bookshelf. Oh wait, that's not a signed copy of "Late, Late at Night" so it can't be. whew.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    ahh! the legendary magicka biblioteka -- one of its weaker incantations can cause smaller humanoids and lesser demons to disapparate ... the question is which is 17?

didn't realize my feral finding skills were mainly ocular background disentanglement based, made today's find surprisingly difficult.
    sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oh man that payoff was great. Also that library reminds me of my old highschool library... They had some of the WEIRDEST books in there. Although apprently the year after I left a student found, succesfully stole and auction off a first edition Lord of the Rings.

Also, that kittie wasn't even trying! Silly kitty.

• chemistx2chemistx2 Registered User regular
    I searched long and hard for the kitty in the trees of the last panel... Ya got me this time, Katie! Nice hide.

• PsycheRachPsycheRach Registered User regular
    Ahh, Seventeen! Why don't you love reading!

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    This line just hit me.

"I guess they're books people don't want."

Well done.

• mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    lololol RUN SEVEN! read when you are older. kids should be playing and read to

• Zazu YenZazu Yen Senior Developer San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Ooh, they have a library! Now maybe they can use the power of L-Space to explore away from camp: BOOKS = KNOWLEDGE = POWER = (FORCE X DISTANCE^2) ÷ TIME.

Good ol' Terry Pratchett http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/L-space

ExistentialExistenceException: Your thread encountered a NULL pointer and entered a state of non-being.
  • Eric the PrezEric the Prez Registered User regular
    Best kitty ever. but now I feel sad at the end. This comic makes so many feels

• osaryesosaryes Registered User regular
    Who the hell is Rick Springfield!

• TeddTedd Registered User regular
    I'm not sure we'd want to see any more late night cabin scenes if Seventeen read that book. Katie, you naughty, naughty, girl. *shakes head*

• CoaxnpsCoaxnps Registered User regular
    Yeah Rick Springfield......

Like Jessie's girl
    I wish that I had Jessie's girl
    Where can I find her, a woman...
    Where can I find her, a woman like that?

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    Ooooh, "The 1972 Investment Banking Study Guide" book. That was one of the most controversial books of 1971 when it was published. Some countries actually censored the pictures on pages 89 through 96.

• VisionAriVisionAri Registered User regular
    Wait... how old WAS Seventeen when she was abandoned?

And the adorkable librarian raises another question: he's clearly well into his teens; what happens when he's fully grown?

• MikeyZMikeyZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Ya, I'm with her about this library after this impression. I'm down for a good novel, but one sounds less than PG and the other is the worst title I've ever heard

... or read, considering technically I still haven't HEARD of that title...

MikeyZ on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    VisionAri wrote: »
    Wait... how old WAS Seventeen when she was abandoned?

And the adorkable librarian raises another question: he's clearly well into his teens; what happens when he's fully grown?

He marries another camper that aged out and they have a kid, but since they were both raised in the camp and therefore have no idea how to be parents, they too drop their child off at Camp Weedonwantcha. And so the cycle continues...

• ShokewShokew Registered User regular
    This library blows - people would stop reading or never even bother to learn if those titles were the best you've got stored in your library... Now THAT is actually some damn good social satire right there. Subtle and very effective.

Damn good job here, Katie.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mushy wrote: »
    lololol RUN SEVEN! read when you are older. kids should be playing and read to

Seventeen has got to be around ten years old. The lack of engaging material available aside, she is plenty old enough to be doing her own reading and not just getting read to.

If you don't pick up a love of reading at a young age, it is very difficult to learn to love it when you're older, when demands on your time will be greater and you'll increasingly be forced to read stuff you don't care about as a matter of responsibility rather than pleasure.

I basically read everything I could get my hands on from the time I was six and it still took me a couple of years to learn to read for pleasure again after college because I was in reading-intensive courses and came to associate books with obligation and work.

• mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    GASLIGHT remember this is a comic. Some of these kids can go astray. I think its adorable. feral seventeen grows into skadi

mushy on
  • davericedaverice Registered User regular
    Sometime look up books written during WWII by Ernie Pyle. These were from my high school library, and not so much entertaining as they were informative. It was a time most of the population today doesn't remember, but a little history is good for the soul, and brings a perspective of today. Not an assignment, but a suggestion.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    GASLIGHT remember this is a comic. Some of these kids can go astray. I think its adorable. feral seventeen grows into skadi

I understand that it's a comic, but when I hear somebody say "Kids should be playing, not reading, they can read when they're older" when the kids in question are well into their grade-school years, and they seem serious about it, that scares the shit out of me.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I understand that it's a comic, but when I hear somebody say "Kids should be playing, not reading, they can read when they're older" when the kids in question are well into their grade-school years, and they seem serious about it, that scares the shit out of me.

The only time I've ever heard someone say something like that, it was in response to a kid that never went and played outside, which I think was fair. There's no reason it should be one or the other, play outside during the day, go in and read when it starts to get dark.

• ZodapopZodapop Registered User new member
    Ahhh, the line "I guess they're the books people don't want." It all makes sense now. Everything in the camp must be things people don't want, i.e. children, cats, any food drops, and the books.

I feel like this shouldn't feel like some glorious revelation. But it does.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zodapop wrote: »
    Ahhh, the line "I guess they're the books people don't want." It all makes sense now. Everything in the camp must be things people don't want, i.e. children, cats, any food drops, and the books.

I feel like this shouldn't feel like some glorious revelation. But it does.

Camp Weedonwantcha = Camp We Don't Want You.

• ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Oh yes... if only everyone would read and more importantly, understand how the modern global fiat ponzi economy really works.

Then we would have revolution before the morning.

• ThesammichmasterThesammichmaster Registered User regular
    I could make a BO3 supply drop joke, but I don't really want to.