As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson - In which we learn that FOX is not the same as Fox News

1111213141517»

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    This kind of thing, right here? When people don't understand the science behind a problem and comprehend it only in vague terms of "this stuff is bad", yet still feel the need to hold forth on it? This is why we're still using coal instead of fission plants.

No, it's really not. I linked to the reasons that the U.S. doesn't use fission plants earlier, and it has nothing to do with fear mongering or a failure to understand science.
    The reasons we don't use fission plants are economic in the immediate sense, yes--but those economic reasons are tied to political reasons that are ultimately dependent on the perception of fission among the general population and the politicians representing them. Fission powerplants have a long project cycle compared to fossil fuels, which creates substantial financial risk. Some of that is ultimately technical in nature (an advance in renewable power could obviate your plant before you've made a profit), but there is also substantial regulatory or 'political' risk.

In other words, the unfavorable investment climate for fission power is in large part due to the way it's perceived by the public and by lawmakers.

To be honest, I'm not even sure that this is a battle worth fighting anymore, or that it can be won. Maybe Tyson is right to simply ignore it in favor of pushing solar. I am not ready to give up on fusion, though. I need that enthalpy for my goddamn spaceship.

I hope ITER proves to be viable; i was very excited for the project, but all of the delays & cost overruns have really buoyed the critics of the project I know that have been skeptical it could ever work from the get-go. :|

Fortunately, the possibility of practical fusion generators is so compelling that it's the goal of [an admittedly small segment of each of the following] militaries, governments, entrepreneurs, and activists. Practical fusion power lets you do ridiculous things like vaporize dirt to mine gold; it's the end-all, be-all of fueled energy technologies*. That's why there are quite a few parallel efforts toward achieving it aside from ITER.

*yeah, fine, antimatter reactors could yield more power, but you can't exactly harvest antimatter; you have to make it yourself.

Emissary42 on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Parallel efforts, yet the combined funding is less than the marketing expenditures of the oil companies

• EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    The finale was a bit all over the place but that was one hell of a send off.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The Pale Blue Dot speech always makes me well up slightly.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, is this a series finale or season finale?

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

It's labeled as a Season Finale, but as of now there's no planned continuation to my knowledge.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Well I think it was just a "special event" like a discovery or history channel special. So this was it I would assume.

I have throughly enjoyed this show and am sad to see it go. NDgT is a treasure.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My copy of Cosmos shipped this morning to arrive tomorrow, and the price dropped all the way to $29.99! Nice!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    The Pale Blue Dot speech always makes me well up slightly.

I knew it was coming and it still got me.

Neil said 'Pale blue dot' and I was like hurk.

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Don't forget the little kid from the Voyager Record. :):'(

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    ...I hope that, if someone ever finds that record, they are never able to figure-out whatever it is that the whales were saying. :|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

It's labeled as a Season Finale, but as of now there's no planned continuation to my knowledge.

They better order another season. I won't be able to stand all the "Fox cancels the universe" articles/comments that'll come out if they don't.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    ...I hope that, if someone ever finds that record, they are never able to figure-out whatever it is that the whales were saying. :|

But it would be funny if they guess and come back greeting us with the sounds of whales that are just insults and comments about fish

I am torn about a new season
    It did the what was intended to do in gathering interest in science. It showed how regressive some people really are. The bit about the lead pollution and the dog showing the weather over time as he walked along the beach were both very interesting
    But if they did a new season what would it be about? as showing certain other things about science would show even the little things are insanely complex
    I then thought they could do it on our System? but it's been done and was depressingly simple

edited June 2014
    I think this is just a one time deal, not something to expect another season of.

If they did do another season, I demand a mars episode! And if we're doing mars, fuck it, do a full episode on every planet. And maybe one dedicated to the Oort Cloud.

Also, I like them to do an episode talking about the future stuff that we were given artistic impressions of: hydroponic skyscraper farms, long range space vehicles, highly developed rapid transit systems, etc.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if another season happens.

I mean, there isn't any reason for it -not- to happen.

Not like Tyson will run out of things to talk about.

I think this is just a one time deal, not something to expect another season of.

If they did do another season, I demand a mars episode! And if we're doing mars, fuck it, do a full episode on every planet. And maybe one dedicated to the Oort Cloud.

Also, I like them to do an episode talking about the future stuff that we were given artistic impressions of: hydroponic skyscraper farms, long range space vehicles, highly developed rapid transit systems, etc.

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Well the reason to or not to do another reason is the ratings right?

On week 1 it did 5 million on Fox and 3.5 million on the cable networks.

It then had a gradual decline the next few weeks in to the 3.5 million range which is where it stayed for the Majority and the rest of the series.

Now the question is... Is that good?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

"Save the whales! Kill all humans!"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Nah, we're probably cool.

louiewhale.jpg

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »

It then had a gradual decline the next few weeks in to the 3.5 million range which is where it stayed for the Majority and the rest of the series.

Not particularly. But depending on cost/prestige factors and how much it makes the cash cow that is Seth MacFarlane happy, they could make more episodes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Also, I bet this show is going to move some Blurays. I'd love it if some teachers put Cosmos into their lesson plan, like an episode a week in grade/middle school science classes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    There was a thing on Youtube I watched last night, a panel (well, more of an interview, because it was just him) with Dr. Tyson at SXSW just before Cosmos premiered. He loves Europa. At one point he got a joke in where he noted that if Europa turned out to have life, we'd have to call them Europeans.

Sadly, the whole thing's about an hour, and I didn't note the timestamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMGTVCIDbU

Shadowen on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Heh, that's a coincidence. I've been listening to Star Talk's past poscasts, and he mentioned that a couple years ago.

Amazing how these things worl :)

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    The bluray showed up on my doorstep this morning already.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The latest Star Talk has Neil interviewing Seth, it's an interesting conversation.

Not particularly. But depending on cost/prestige factors and how much it makes the cash cow that is Seth MacFarlane happy, they could make more episodes.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The latest Star Talk has Neil interviewing Seth, it's an interesting conversation.

Well, that's not entirely true: it would also be up to Fox.

That's actually kind of horrible. Other factors that come into play are thing like how lucrative advertisers think the show will be for them (hahaha no), none of which off of the top of my head Cosmos strikes a chord with.

There's a reason that TLC & Disocvery Channel changed formatting to go from science programs to retarded 'reality tv' dramas.

With Love and Courage
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it's ratings are consistently better then Simpsons or Family Guy.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    it's ratings are consistently better then Simpsons or Family Guy.
    This shouldn't surprise anyone who had seen Simpsons our Family Guy in the last few years.

steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Cosmos seems like the sort of thing that will find its natural audience on Bluray and streaming rather than broadcast. It's not "invite the friends over, bring chips" event TV that something like Game of Thrones is, and there's no pressure to keep up because it's not like you can be spoiled about it the next day at work.
    DUDE IT TURNS OUT THE RED SUN TOTALLY KILLS EARTH AT THE END OMG

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Cosmos seems like the sort of thing that will find its natural audience on Bluray and streaming rather than broadcast. It's not "invite the friends over, bring chips" event TV that something like Game of Thrones is, and there's no pressure to keep up because it's not like you can be spoiled about it the next day at work.

It's true, but this also sort-of defeats the purpose of the program: to reach a wide audience.

As much as Cosmos might interest & even educate some niche Internet audience, that isn't the crowd that someone wanting to popularize science is aiming for. It's why Bill Nye still does a lot of TV stuff, for example.

With Love and Courage
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2014
    Those are not horrible ratings at all; Sunday, folks...

If cosmos pulled 3.5 million viewers, that easily places it as the second most watched show of the entire evening, behind Game of Thrones (which honestly is sucking all the air out of the room with over 6 million eyeballs live at the same timeslot).

There is zero way fox is mad about the ratings.

edit: though maybe next time if the do a season 2 don't run it when such a juggernaut of a show is opposite it that lots of nerdy folks (like me) enjoy watching as well.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Dr. Tyson is coming to my town in November!

My wife found out before me and is going to buy me tickets!

Who's a lucky guy?
    Me. So excited.

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    I finally got to catch the last episode.
    Pale Blue Dot.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Ok so, started watching this on Hulu last night and watched the first three episodes. Very cool stuff.

Most of what was presented, I knew in some form or fashion, but I love watching science.

Went ahead and ordered the blu-ray of Cosmos and Planet Earth. (Would have ordered Blue Planet too, but the comments about the underwater footage being just upscaled standard def made me hold off this time.)

Also, for anyone itching for more Science, Neil deGrasse Tyson, or both; there's a six episode series called The Inexplicable Universe with Neil deGrasse Tyson up on netflix. It goes into some interesting stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

It's true, but this also sort-of defeats the purpose of the program: to reach a wide audience.

As much as Cosmos might interest & even educate some niche Internet audience, that isn't the crowd that someone wanting to popularize science is aiming for. It's why Bill Nye still does a lot of TV stuff, for example.

If you think that it wont be replayed constantly through years of science classes like Bill Nye's show has been, then you're fooling yourself.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Finally getting to the finale. Man, the Alexandrian Library makes me so sad.

Edit: I really enjoyed this episode. I thought Tyson's springboard from the Pale Blue Dot monologue [that was so powerful] was really strong. A good cap to the series.

N1tSt4lker on