As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2014 BYOC Tickets are live!

Spud387Spud387 Man of InactionVancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
Tickets for BYOC went LIVE today.

"For those who have already purchased PAX passes, if you’d also like to bring your own computer for use in our BYOC LAN area, our BYOC registration is live!

Again, this won’t get you into the doors at PAX…you’ll still need a normal PAX pass for that. This is exclusively for the PAX BYOC and must be paired with a normal PAX pass to be valid.

To purchase a BYOC pass, registration can be found here."

http://www.showclix.com/event/3852445

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14

• Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Purchased!

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    JackDavionJackDavion Registered User regular
    They did it again... "if you'd like to bring in your own computer, BYOC reg is live." They need to emphasize that this is the LAN within PAX, not just permission to bring a laptop with you

• Options
    zByrdzByrd Registered User regular
    Is a group registration page up anywhere? Me and 10 friends already managed to get BYOC badges and we'd like to sit together if possible.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Looks like they're gone now.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    You may want to keep trying as ShowClix appears to be freeing up passes from incomplete orders... at least for the next few minutes that is.

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Guess there are no rules/restrictions this year.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    And they're gone... again ;)

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Keep trying I just got one a second ago.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    screaminglemonscreaminglemon Registered User regular
    I got 2 about 30min ago but kept trying. Just got 2 more a min ago. hope that wont red flag me as a scalper or something. thats only 4 total. But persistence certainly helped.

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Oops, I forgot that was this week. Looks like its sold out :( Oh well

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zByrd wrote: »
    Is a group registration page up anywhere? Me and 10 friends already managed to get BYOC badges and we'd like to sit together if possible.
    Group seating will be up later as we get closer to pax.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Missed out this year. Maybe it's for the best.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TauntulasTauntulas Registered User regular
    how many plugs does a single BYOC pass give you? I can live with a single monitor but I'd totally bring 2 if possible.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    From last year's BYOC thread:
    Gamma wrote: »
    Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: How many monitors can I bring with one BYOC Seat?
    A: As stated above, you are provided two power outlets per BYOC Seat purchased and you can not bring power strips. In addition, you may only bring One External Monitor per seat. If you purchased multiple seats, you may bring an additional monitor for each seat. Remember, Only monitors UNDER 30 inches are allowed.

Q: Does my Laptop Count as "One Monitor"?
    A: A laptop is typically powered using one power connection, and therefore counts as a workstation. If you desire to bring a larger external monitor for gaming, this is allowed. (e.g. you have a 15 inch laptop, but a 24 inch monitor) Keep in mind of the monitor size limitation as well.

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
    A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE NO-NO as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Tauntulas wrote: »
    how many plugs does a single BYOC pass give you? I can live with a single monitor but I'd totally bring 2 if possible.

While it won't get you two monitors in a single seat, if you want an extra power outlet (for other devices, a laptop, whatever) you can look into something like this Y-power cable to power both your monitor and CPU (they'll likely be near each other on the table).

Just keep in mind the current rating. On that particular cord, it's 10A. My monitor is 1.5A, leaving 8.5A for the CPU, which should cover most gaming rigs (700W or so, after accounting for power factor and such).

EDIT: Of course, I'm old enough to remember when plugging your monitor into your CPU's power supply (it would usually have a special socket to pass through 120V power) was the norm.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    That Y power cable would likely not be permitted.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That Y power cable would likely not be permitted.

Meh, I don't see why not. It's not chainable, and it's rated for the current drawn. Of course, I'm an electrical engineer, not a fire marshal. ;)

Which is to say that I agree there might be an objection, just that unlike power strips it's not really technically justified.

• Options
    The limitation is two outlets, 3.5A per outlet I believe. Using a Y cable is still artificially extending the number of outlets you have, even if it's UL rated to be just fine. The issue isn't /just/ daisy chaining, it's also limiting the number of "things" plugged in to a given circuit.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In my LAN Bag I always have a few of those Y Cables. They work great and I haven't had any issues at events before. But who knows how anal people are going to be since there are no rules/regulations posted yet.

Moreso since my LAN machine is tiny and I usually bring an external drive with me.

As long as you arent a douche and trying to plug in multiple computers to your two socket limit (Like brinigng a server or something)

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    The limitation is two outlets, 3.5A per outlet I believe. Using a Y cable is still artificially extending the number of outlets you have, even if it's UL rated to be just fine. The issue isn't /just/ daisy chaining, it's also limiting the number of "things" plugged in to a given circuit.

True, you could be bumping up towards 20A between outlets if you had a particularly power hungry laptop combined with a desktop hooked up through those.

It should definitely be a total current per two outlets limit, though, and not a per outlet limit. I'll tell you right now, without doubt, my desktop draws more than 3.5A. My monitor draws less. Between the two, they're probably pushing the 7A combined, but only at peak usage (all discs spinning, etc).

• Options
    Well, yeah, the strips aren't limiting per outlet, I'm sure. It's just a good rough estimate of how much you get. Buy 2 seats, get twice as much, etc.

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    The two outlet limit is not a perfect solution, and I can certainly understand why an electrical engineer in particular would point out the flaws. Until we can isolate each individual so they can't harm the experience of others via using too much power, however, we'd rather play it safe and make rules that we can easily enforce.

Detailed rules will be coming, but as far as power usage goes, the rule of thumb is that a byoc seat officially grants enough power for a single system. Specifically that means a single CPU, a single monitor, and that's it. Unofficially, you aren't likely to be tackled'n'shackled if you have a Y adapter for the sake of, say, a phone charger or something else that could just as easily be USB.

• Options
    K!LL@RK!LL@R Registered User regular
    I wonder how the guy with the 5 monitors in portrait setup pulled it off last year? He was right by the registration desk.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    more than one seat registered?

• Options
    Yeah, you can get more than one seat. It's common practice for people to buy two seats so they can bring their multi-monitor rigs.

• Options
    K!LL@RK!LL@R Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can get more than one seat. It's common practice for people to buy two seats so they can bring their multi-monitor rigs.
    I do it so I can plug in my George Forman Grill and mini-fridge full of beer.

• Options

• Options
    JackDavionJackDavion Registered User regular
    K!LL@R wrote: »
    I do it so I can plug in my George Forman Grill and mini-fridge full of beer.

I can see a weird vein pulsing in zerzhul's forehead...

• Options
    Power at Prime has usually been pretty good, I think primarily because of the 2 outlet rule since its not trivial to know exactly how many amps you're using without a 'Kill-a-Watt' Meter or something similar. Many people bring Y cables for USB devices or external hard drives, and these haven't caused issues in the past (that I know of). Until last year I've used my power supply's output slot to power my external hard drive. Last year my monitor powers my computer, leaving an extra power port for the hard drive.

However, I wouldn't suggest changing the current wording, and is refreshing to hear David's comments. Saying you have two outlets and no power strips leaves ambiguity for Y-cables to be 'ok' without advertising everyone to bring them and use them, which could potentially cause issues.

7jIDTca.png