As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS / Handheld game of PAX Prime 2014

XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
What do you think will be the game to streetpass come pax? I asked this last year and Animal Crossing was the winner. Thoughts about this year?

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Well Im personally bringing Kirby to street pass with. Ill also have Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, Pokémon, and hopefully SSB (if it comes out before PAX that is) to play with other people.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Smash Bros 3DS isn't coming out until October 3rd, unfortunately.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely bringing Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing. Maybe Zelda if I get around to starting it before PAX.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Tomodachi Life, Mario Kart, Pokemon.

Lots of people in line for Nintendo/Best Buy E3 event with Tomodachi Life yesterday.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm bringing every game I can carry lol. Probably bringing Pokemon Y, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Ocrina of Time, I think I am the only person who still hasn't beaten this game period, and Bravely Default. Please keep street pass on people especially if you are NOT from Oregon, Washington or Illinois. I love you all but those are the 3 states I have people from already lol

• Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    Probably pokemon, mario kart, and OoT(IF I CAN FIND THEM BEFORE PAX :( )

• Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    Well with how often my queue fills up, the streetpass games pretty much are the full time thing at PAX :smiley: And I always leave my streetpass on to hand out Alaskan tags. But yes, will have Animal Crossing and Pokemon also.

• Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    I miss Pictochat... You boot up Pictochat at PAX and it gets pretty friggen nutty.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I like ACNL because I love seeing how everyone has decorated their houses. It makes me want to step up my game before PAX. ;)

Too bad about SSB. Maybe they'll at least have demos there.

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I want to get on the animal crossing boat but I didnt play one time for six weeks and they yelled at me for my flowers dying so I never ever touched the game again.

• Options
    domina_fortunadomina_fortuna Registered User regular
    I know I'll have Animal Crossing with me, but I'm not sure what else. I only just recently got a 3DS so my game collection is pretty light.

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Some old school Super Dodge Ball NESoid netplay would be sweet, but it's never happened. I thought SixAxis' (android) introduction in 2012 would facilitate some faceoffs... then again, that's what the CFP room is for!

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm hoping at least a few people are willing to dive into the weirdness that is Tomodachi Life. I'll have caveman costumes to give away...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    I only recently got a 3ds after they announced the new Zelda and managed to snag the collectors edition. I couldn't resist, but the only games I own for it are Zelda and Animal Crossing. I've been on the fence for Tomadachi Life but I know I will have to get my staple of Harvest Moon and at least one of the Pokemon games.

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    Smash Bros 3DS isn't coming out until October 3rd, unfortunately.

Man... I knew "summer 2014" was too good to be true... (>TnT)>

• Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    I have given in and done what I never thought I'd do. I've poured more money into the pit that is Nintendo and bought a 3DS and a handful of games. By the time that the expo rolls around I should be a bit along on Monster Hunter 3, Pokemon Y, Ace Attorney (the one where you play as Apollo), and a couple other single player games. I might buy Mario Kart too just to race with people in line. I don't know if I could play Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon. They seem like those games that have no real point to them but you find yourself 6 hours in and wondering what the hell just happened... and then continue playing.

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    One great thing about Mario Kart 7 is the Download Play. Only need one copy of the game to share in lines.

• Options
    DifinitusDifinitus Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Am I missing out on part of the PAX experience by not having a 3DS?

My First PAX: Prime 2014
    Tickets [X] | Flight [X] | Coin [ ]
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Difinitus wrote: »

I don't think so, it's something that is fun to do, but it's not an integral part if it if you don't already own a 3ds.

I must admit, it's rather fun to play in lines though.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options

Only about 47,000 streetpasses. :P

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Only about 47,000 streetpasses. :P

Don't even know what that means. People just trade their 3DS games with each other?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    tl;dr Each 3DS can be set to ping every few seconds. If they ping near another 3DS, you'll swap information. Streetpass information can get you all kinds of things -- puzzle pieces in Puzzle Swap, turns in various addicting Mii Plaza games (the RPG Find Mii, Shooter Mii Force, gardening simulator Flower Town, strategy game Warrior's Way, and the fun but hard to catagorize Monster Manor), and various other features in other games -- you could have a ghost to race against in a racing game, give out hard to find items in others, etc.

Streetpasses can be a little hard to come by if you don't live in a bustling city, but if you go to PAX you're guaranteed to get hundreds.

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular

This is not my first PAX but it will be my first with a 3DS, PAX is certainly enjoyable without it and you won't leave at the end of the day feeling like you were screwed out of some integral thing but it will definitely make lines better, I went to the smash event on Sat at Best Buy and ended up playing MH3 with a random guy while we waited in line for 2+ hours. Way better than trying to make awkward small talk or staring at the wall.

Then again, if you don't plan to spend a lot of time in, say, the expo hall (or other places there are long lines involved) you might not find much use for it.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    RiDE wrote: »

This is not my first PAX but it will be my first with a 3DS, PAX is certainly enjoyable without it and you won't leave at the end of the day feeling like you were screwed out of some integral thing but it will definitely make lines better, I went to the smash event on Sat at Best Buy and ended up playing MH3 with a random guy while we waited in line for 2+ hours. Way better than trying to make awkward small talk or staring at the wall.

Then again, if you don't plan to spend a lot of time in, say, the expo hall (or other places there are long lines involved) you might not find much use for it.

Actually, loads of 3DS players congregate in the area with all the bean bags (I forget the name). Portable Lounge? That's where I did most of my PAX 3DS gaming in 2012.

• Options
    I appreciate all the input. I don't feel the need to have one now, and wouldn't be worth it to purchase one just for PAX. I'll have my iPad mini and a book to keep me occupied in line. :smile:

• Options
    XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    RiDE wrote: »

Actually, loads of 3DS players congregate in the area with all the bean bags (I forget the name). Portable Lounge? That's where I did most of my PAX 3DS gaming in 2012.

Handheld Lounge :smile:

• Options
    I have done it. Even with the setback of losing my saved game, I have beaten the Elite Four and assembled my team. Now all I have to do is grind levels for a little while to get them up to respectable levels.

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    IroquoisIroquois Registered User regular
    I'd love to do some Monster Hunter with some people at PAX. I should be at least Hunter Rank 4 by the time the Expo rolls around.

3DS Friend code: 2449-5995-8538
  • Options
    dg5930dg5930 Registered User regular
    I don't have a 3ds but I will bring my ps vita

• Options
    Iroquois wrote: »
    I'd love to do some Monster Hunter with some people at PAX. I should be at least Hunter Rank 4 by the time the Expo rolls around.

Thanks for reminding me! I have to work on my Monster Hunter game before PAX too

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It's funny, I always have my 3DS on me but barely ever use it at PAX, I'm generally socializing more, and I'm never stopped long enough to play... and I'm on my feet constantly so the handheld lounge is almost never on my list. Too much to see/do, no time for games :wink:

• Options
    giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    FYI but best buy is having a BOGO on some games like pokemon x & y and other stuff. Im probably going to pick up tomodachi life :D

giantry on
  • Options
    giantry wrote: »
    FYI but best buy is having a BOGO on some games like pokemon x & y and other stuff. Im probably going to pick up tomodachi life :D

Hopefully you will have better luck than we did. We tried picking up the Yoshi and Kirby and were at our local store when the doors opened Sunday and the titles that were not sold out already from people ordering online at midnight quickly sold out in store. None of the stores in Western WA list I think any of the games except the Disney and Mario Party as in stock :( All the games have also been mostly unavailable online since the start of the sale.

• Options
    AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    Tomodachi Life is the one that I'm expecting to play most in line.

• Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    Oh yay! People from states and countries I don't yet have, come to me! :smiley: I check regularly, reliably, dare I say religiously? I love so much about PAX, but I own that I StreetPass like a fiend. I think I'll probably still have Animal Crossing in as a game, but I love the goofy mini-games to be quite honest. Brown MIIs to me (brown being the rarest color, IMO).

• Options
    giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    managed to snag tomodachi :D but now i have an extra copy of pokemon y :/

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    cbellevie wrote: »
    giantry wrote: »

Hopefully you will have better luck than we did. We tried picking up the Yoshi and Kirby and were at our local store when the doors opened Sunday and the titles that were not sold out already from people ordering online at midnight quickly sold out in store. None of the stores in Western WA list I think any of the games except the Disney and Mario Party as in stock :( All the games have also been mostly unavailable online since the start of the sale.

If you're lucky, and have a paper copy of the best buy ad, you might be able to get Walmart or Target to do an ad match.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    iPestilenceiPestilence Registered User new member
    I went to PAX Prime for the first time last year but was only able to go for a day. Brought my 3DS with me but didn't understand the whole streetpass thing and didn't understand why so many people were on their 3ds either. Rarely played on my 3ds at the time so. After playing Bravely Default I realize why streetpass would help.

So this time I'll have my 3ds fully charged and bring Monster Hunter. Bought it 2 weeks ago and haven't played it yet.

• Options
    I just replaced my 3DS with a 3DSXL. I have always used a Nyko Power Grip extended battery on my 3DS and have had no making it through a day of hardcore Streetpassing, but I have not see a similar extended battery solution for the XL. I am curious how often hardcore Streetpassers find they need to recharge during PAX?