As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think this is unacceptable.

ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073836256

I'm hoping to have a real discussion on this manner here, rather than you know, be flamed endlessly because I give a damn.

New guy walks into the forum, asks where he can find a Metal Gear Solid ringtone. He does so in a manner that is, considered by most, unacceptable in the way he worded things and his topic was locked, rightfully so.

However, then Bogey, decides to unlock the thread with the sole purpose of allowing people to yell at the new guy.

Bogey wrote:
On second thought, I want you guys to yell at him for a bit before I lock this again.

- People defend Bogey's actions by saying that it makes his thread an example of what not to post. I thought that was what locking a thread did.

- People defend his actions by saying "Well he should have read the rules and he would know to lurk" Yes, that is true and I agree that his topic should have been locked, but unlocking it (even though it should be locked) just to let people flame him, that's not justifiable.

- People say, "I don't think anyone cares if he never comes back." I would think Gabe, Tycho and the people who work hard to keep the forums online would care because if it happens once, it'll happen again.

- People say, "Well this is needed to let the forumers vent and relieve stress," No, you can relieve stress on your own time and in a respectful manner.

I think this is unacceptable behavior for anyone, especially a mod who is in a position of authority and is seen as a leader of the forums.

If you're going to punish someone for a post they make, I though a mod was supposed to lock a thread, jail or ban someone.

Not sanction a thread made to flame one particular person.

If any regular poster made a serious thread for the sole purpose of flaming another forumer, than I don't think any mod would let them go without at least a jailing.

Bogey could have left the thread locked the thread, pointed the guy in the direction of the rules and left it at that. But instead he uses his "best "judgement to sanction a large group of people to insult the new guy.

To new people, this forum (not to mention the mods) are a representation of Penny Arcade. Is this how PA should be represented?

The new guy was in the wrong with his topic and it should have been locked, what Bogey did I feel is unacceptable for anyone, much less a mod who, yes, should be held to a higher standard.

QcGKhPm.jpg
ShimSham on

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    lol you nub

Seriously though, that does seem kind of underhanded.

But hey, it's SE++.

Magus` on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I felt bad with the thread about the dog advice

I do no feel bad about this other thread.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    But hey, it's SE++.
    I don't see that as an excuse and I don't think it should be treated as one.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2006
    Flaming useless posters has been a Penny Arcade tradition since before I joined. It's no different from the guy who got flamed for accusing Gabe and Tycho of being homophobic.

Tube on
  • LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Internet. Serious Business.

Linksville on
    edited October 2006
    It would have been rough for him in G&T, Shim.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24578552&highlight=rules%2A#24578552

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24469603&highlight=rules%2A#24469603

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24467419&highlight=rules%2A#24467419

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24431148&highlight=rules%2A#24431148

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24397629&highlight=rules%2A#24397629

etc.

Thanks, but I do know how to do my job most of the time.

I did what I did because I didn't feel like this was just some noobie making an innocent thread. I'm sorry that you don't agree with me and feel like you have to make such a fuss over this. I hope you can get past this.

Thanks.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, yeah, but didn't we all just get done being yelled at by WhipstitchZombie for being too cliqueish? This seems pretty damn cliqueish.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited October 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Well, yeah, but didn't we all just get done being yelled at by WhipstitchZombie for being too cliqueish? This seems pretty damn cliqueish.

EDIT: FIVE threads? Well then, that's a whole new ballgame.
    There's an etc.

I'll provide my complete service record if you'll relax.

Bogey on
    edited October 2006
    lol @ mtvcdm

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    No, G&T got yelled at. Not SE.

tynic on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, I blew that one. Wasn't all the same guy like I thought it was.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited October 2006
    Bogey wrote:
    Track record post
    So are you saying that because you do well most of the time, it's okay to do this sort of thing some of the time?

There have been a lot of times I've just wanted to punch someone, but instead I act politely and rub it off.

If one day I do punch someone, do you think me saying, "Well hey guys, look at all the times I didn't punch someone!" is going to help?

No, it's still assault. Edit: Okay it's battery.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's battery.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You're battery.

Javen on
    edited October 2006
    No, the difference is that just because we disagree on how I handled the situation, it doesn't make your view the right one. (It doesn't mean mine was right either, I know you're just waiting to jump on that.)

Also, what I did wasn't a crime. I do hope you can tell the difference.

Bogey on
    edited October 2006
    Kadith wrote:
    It's battery.
    Okay, I'm not a CJ major anymore.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Forget it Shim. It's SE++ town.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
    edited October 2006
    This isn't about SE vs whoever.

Just because you don't agree with how things are done in that forum doesn't mean we're out to get you.

Bogey on
    edited October 2006
    Bogey wrote:
    No, the difference is that just because we disagree on how I handled the situation, it doesn't make your view the right one. (It doesn't mean mine was right either, I know you're just waiting to jump on that.)

Also, what I did wasn't a crime. I do hope you can tell the difference.
    I can tell the difference between doing what you did and committing a crime.

I think you missed the point of them both being wrong, and while you and others don't feel it was wrong to treat a person like that, I do.

I wanted this matter to be seen and discussed by all, because I feel strongly enough about it. I don't like this kind of behavior so I will do what I can to at least bring it into the proper light.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited October 2006
    and please note that I don't believe I've mentioned any other subforum or things that went on in another subforum. I don't want to this thread to go that way.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    ShimSham wrote:
    and please note that I don't believe I've mentioned any other subforum or things that went on in another subforum. I don't want to this thread to go that way.

I blame Linksville.

Aroduc on
    edited October 2006
    I will destroy you.

Linksville on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    tynic wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    No, G&T got yelled at. Not SE.

ha ha oh if you think this then you're mistaken

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Mr. Yos MannMr. Yos Mann Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I believe that when you get stabbed at SE you are only stabbed at SE.
    SE is special that way.

It's like complaining that hell is agonizing.

Mr. Yos Mann on
    shinichiropot2.gif
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    I will destroy you.

But I loooooooooooooove you. :(

Aroduc on
    edited October 2006
    :evil:

Linksville on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    :evil:

My work here is done.

Aroduc on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ugh.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited October 2006
    You guys are ridiculous.

My apologies if you are not willing enough to have some fun. There are many G&Ters who post very successfully in SE++. Some are wont to flaunt their shit in my backyard now and then, but I can look past that.

You guys act like we're the shithole of the forums. Last I checked nobody in SE++ bitched about receiving a ton of literature for free in a Secret Santa forum activity.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You guys are ridiculous.

My apologies if you are not willing enough to have some fun. There are many G&Ters who post very successfully in SE++. Some are wont to flaunt their shit in my backyard now and then, but I can look past that.

You guys act like we're the shithole of the forums. Last I checked nobody in SE++ bitched about receiving a ton of literature for free in a Secret Santa forum activity.

That was from a new person, who joined just to get free shit and was ceremoniously mocked for saying such retarded things.

Invisible on
    edited October 2006
    Again, not looking to create cross forum drama, was never my intention.

I wanted to express my concerns on the behavior of a particular mod and how I felt something like that should have never happened.

I want to say this as politely as possible, can we please leave the cross-forum stuff behind, either provoking it or reacting to it?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think the issue is the split personality that more active denizens of SE++ can give off at times. some days SE++ wants to be known as the laid-back and cool chat forum for anyone who isn't a moron, and some days they want to be the clique.

for the most part, SE++ seems fine and dandy to me; a nice place to just chat about anything, but ocasionally things go on that make me think "man what".

Kriz on
    edited October 2006
    Most of the bullshit I saw in the thread about dog feeding tips (misguided or not, I don't care) came from people who came to SE from G&T. There isn't really an argument here. People treat SE how they seem to want, and some of them think there's an image to uphold.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2006
    The question is

what would Robert Khoo think

(it was a very unclassy thing to do, Bogey. And I only say unclassy because there isn't enough support for this side of the argument for me to use a blunter word)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited October 2006
    Kazhiim wrote:
    The question is

what would Robert Khoo think

(it was a very unclassy thing to do, Bogey. And I only say unclassy because there isn't enough support for this side of the argument for me to use a blunter word)
    That was also a point I mentioned and wanted to drive home.

Khoo pays for the forums to run if I'm not mistaken (and I could be), I couldn't count the number of hours Alpha has worked on them.

and this has become of what they've worked for?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited October 2006
    haha

I'm waiting for you to say SE shouldn't exist, Shim.
    Waiting

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2006
    haha

I'm waiting for you to say SE shouldn't exist, Shim.
    Waiting
    That's not what I was going for, and it's 1:30 and I have a lab in the morning, I should get to sleep.

I hope something other than an unintended GnT/SE war comes of this thread, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making it if that's what I wanted.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited October 2006
    No

you can't expect average SE++ forumers, or any forumer on any forum anywhere, to be a shining example of common courtesy and tolerance

that's asking for too much

but a mod encouraging the shit is wrong

mods are to be held to higher standards

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.