As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LOOK AT MY [Comics Art Appreciation Thread]! – NSF56K

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    And there was the time-displaced Cap in 1602

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Cultural appropriation is never cool, though.

Yeah, I think it would've been better, had the alternate-universe Steve Rogers been a Native American.

That said, it did present the idea that, due to his status as a war hero, Native Americans never faced the same level of discrimination and mass atrocities. Which led to a much greater Native influence on modern culture. I thought that was a fun idea.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    tumblr_n5ude8I3pG1qlrpiko1_1280.jpg

Jae Lee runs shit

I can't get over this picture

I like how there's this arranged coy little tension in their faces being positioned to kiss, but then you look down and the shapes of their bodies pull your eyes in downward V and you see their hips are already mashed together. His and her belt both reinforce the pull into their point of contact. I like their facial expressions and how her breasts are just ever-so-gently smushed down as she leans up into superman. The pairing of batman's hand coming off screen and the cat touching her butt is cute. I love how her whole body and costume are just a black outline too: it brings your eye back to her face due to the contrast and it reemphasizes her face and his face as the focal point. I like the echoes of his hair curl and her hair curls that follow her gaze but give it a stylized, sinuous quality. The top of Superman's head makes a simple curve toward Catwoman who is arresting his attention, but even as the little curl of his hair and the draw of the arc carries through to the moon above her, the back of the moon curves back to Superman and drops down at the further left black string tying to a star just behind Superman's head and then your eye pulls back into that loop. Whatever is churning in Superman's head is going in that circle which is trapped between the circle of her bent arm, the line in his sleeve, and all of the strings' lines pushing down from above.

I love the arrangement of the stars and the moon. You know Superman is going to kiss her because Batman's hand is the only tiny counterweight to pull him back, but the whole rest of the composition is shifted to the right and it arcs downward into Catwoman. The black strings and the moon/stars create a little capsule around Superman and Catwoman but they are clearly tilting all of the weight through her and down her back and through the cats that merge with her outline. The moon especially is weighted to her with only that single lingering star as a doubt behind Superman. Batman might interrupt the tension, but his hand is a gray and black shape disconnected from Superman's whole bright blue and red chiaroscuro so it renders Superman fairly impervious to Batman saying "No." Meanwhile the cat whose arms and paws mimic Batman's arm shape are connected and merged as part of Catwoman's black outline, pulling you much more assertively to her and the bottom right corner of the image. The whole layout tells you Superman is being lured in to kiss her as she shifts her weight up closer to him.

desc on
    tumblr_n69s74CAtu1rnvulyo1_500.jpg

Kirby art as a 70s blacklight puzzle

groovy

edited June 2014
    desc on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tumblr_n6vwp2kBxI1qgfkpao1_500.jpg

I want Sara Pichelli to draw more Captain Marvel.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    To be fair, I want Sara Pichelli to draw just about everything

edited June 2014
    tumblr_mwfn7iRSJc1rom810o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mwfn7iRSJc1rom810o2_500.jpg

Phil Noto

http://thefalloff.tumblr.com/post/88429310058/ungoliantschilde-phil-noto-superhero-candids

I have seen these posted but every time someone posts them online new ones seem to appear and other ones disappear

anyway

these images have a groundedness I would love to see in my ideal marvel book about superheroes being people in society moreso than being 30 pages of supervillain punching

EDIT: http://philnoto.tumblr.com/ awwww yeeeaahh

desc on
    That stuff is great

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The whole "photo album" idea that Noto likes to play with obviously doesn't jibe with Marvel's sliding timeline at all, but hell if it doesn't get me right in the feels.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Frigga and sons by Yang Fan

W1MXnCP.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    damn

1Cn56KK.jpg

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, Moon Knight is an absolutely gorgeous book

sad Ellis and Shalvey are leaving it, but I'm glad Bellaire is staying on colors.

edited June 2014
    tumblr_n6fj0esXag1r86ysgo1_500.png

lol

desc on
    edited June 2014
    So, I went to Heroes Con this weekend, and got some cool stuff.

Blue Beetle, by Love and Capes' Tom Zahler. Very nice dude! I didn't stay and chat long, but the commission came out looking awesome. Also? He was stationed next to a My Little Pony artist, whose line never had less than five people in it. On his right? The writer for Sonic the Hedgehog. It was a interesting crowd, around that table.
    BqsBvfMIMAAZ6dm.jpg

Blue Beetle, by B+F's Gregory Benton. I'd never heard of him before the show, but the comics on his site are pretty great, so I'm going to see about ordering his new book. Also, just a super nice guy.
    Bqr_TgxCcAArrdf.jpg

Blue Beetle, by Marauder's Jordan T. Neves. This was my first con, and Jordan was the first artist I'd approached to chat with, which had me feeling a bit anxious. But, he set a good tempo for the rest of the day, by being very cool, in spite of his table being located between a garbage can, and a bathroom. He doodled this Blue Beetle on a business card-sized piece of cardstock, after I bought three of his mini-comics.
    BqsAAwxIUAACBA-.jpg

Dungeon, by Mermin's Joey Weiser. I was only passingly familiar with his work, but he seemed pleasantly surprised I knew what Dungeon was. Maybe it was my Captain America tanktop and vaguely southern accent? We got to chat about Trondheim and Sfar for a minute, which is always nice.
    BqsAoe8IcAALAOD.jpg

And a picture of my girlfriend as a wizard, done by Natalie Andrewson. She was doing this cool thing where, for ten bucks, she'd snap a picture of you on her phone, and then draw you as a wizard. Could not have been a cooler lady, despite being very busy.
    Bqr-fznIgAA2rgn.jpg

I also got a bunch of prints, postcards, and mini-comics. I talked to some people I hadn't really intended to, who were amazingly cool, and some people I really wanted to talk to, who were less-than-awesome. I even met @jyrenb and his wife, for some beers and comic talk.

Definitely a fun way to spend a weekend. Surprisingly cheap, too. Right until I got pulled over for speeding, less than thirty minutes from home, following an eighteen hour drive.

Fuck you, Kentucky. You're just Indiana's shitty neighbor.

Munch on
    tumblr_n7iq7oMwvH1qarjnpo10_1280.jpg

Ryan Heshka (a few things in the portfolio NSFW)

edited July 2014
    tumblr_m1m4n2Pgf01rrlv44o1_500.jpg

John Byrne, 1979

desc on
    tumblr_n8f21yGKZ61rur0aro3_500.jpg

tumblr_n8f21yGKZ61rur0aro1_500.jpg

"SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS!

SUPERMAN Fleshier Studios Cartoons (1941-42)

(Above) Animation cells from “Billion Dollar Limited” (Jan. 9, 1942)
    Animations by Frank Endres & Myron Waldman

(Below) Layout drawing and finished animation cell from the first Superman short by Fleshier Studios in 1941. Animation by Steve Muffati & Frank Andress"

http://jthenr-comics-vault.tumblr.com/post/91550101635/saturday-morning-cartoons-superman-fleshier

tumblr_n8gzqcWpkv1rur0aro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n8gzqcWpkv1rur0aro2_500.jpg

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Deadpool and Spider-man by Shishio

bjLF2wd.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    tumblr_mubuybdQH21rz1rzuo1_1280.png

(Wonder Woman #28 (1948) by William Moulton Marston & H.G. Peter)

edited July 2014
    tumblr_n8ms1mWKC71rur0aro1_500.jpg

desc on
    tumblr_n9dj21Dkwa1rur0aro1_1280.jpg

Tales To Astonish #48 (October 1963)
    Art by Don Heck

I really want that as like, a giant, stretched-canvas print.

edited August 2014
    edit: oh I get it, Manak is co-artist. okay that is hilarious.

tumblr_n8vtxe2QwN1szfy48o1_500.jpg

desc on
    Silver Surfer & Galactus, by Andrew MacLean.
    G6z4dx0.jpg

Silver Surfer & Galactus, by Andrew MacLean and Kevin Zeigler.
    QUzSOyR.jpg

I love seeing how a change in colorist, can totally alter the mood of a drawing.

tumblr_mg355oMr5a1rur0aro1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_me9naquMlS1rur0aro1_500.jpg

haha you got told

mohawk storm best storm of all time

tumblr_mqeczyKlrm1rur0aro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mrc6gkWmW51rur0aro1_500.jpg

"War Machine / James Rhodes by Kevin Hopgood & Steve Mitchell"

edited January 2015
    Man, that zip-a-tone.

Two-Face by Phantom City Creative.
    TsgB68d.jpg

The Hulk by Felipe Smith.
    tvpp2Iv.jpg

Moon Knight by Ramon Villalobos.
    uuC3jDvl.jpg

Hellboy and Yugi-Oh by Mike Mignola.
    4J5YykD.jpg

Hellboy by Kazuki Takahashi.
    dG4vfjk.jpg

Munch on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    For a second I thought the first Hellboy image had the Yugioh guy, like, super nestled into Hellboy's coat for some reason.

Then I realized it was supposed to be a t-shirt.

tumblr_nhngfeoeAF1rwyqmxo1_1280.jpg

Hanna Barbardians of the Galaxy by Jay Fosgitt

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    For some reason I want that to read 'Hannah Barbarians.'

edited April 2015
    tumblr_nm3lpo5nl31rmt7l8o1_540.jpg

(the bigger size is over 500k ;_; -- click for big)

http://mitografia.tumblr.com/

desc on
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    That Guardians image is a fun concept, but the execution's not quite there, in my opinion. I think line weight has a lot to do with it. The simplicity of the Hanna Barbara style hides how well a lot of their stuff was actually designed. Instead of vaguely applying a GotG theme to existing characters, it would have been better to design the characters in one of the Hanna Barbara styles.

As for the Superboy, it's probably my least favorite type of comic art, so I was surprised to see how awesome some of the color work in that guy's sketchbook on his blog is. (occasionally NSFW)

M-Tee on
    tumblr_nmrcqbTMV21qz9ew8o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nnq262XKFL1qaqv3qo4_1280.jpg