As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
Who cares about NOW? NOW is about to become THEN, at which point we need to look to LATER which will become the new NOW! What comes LATER?

Spider-Man 2099
The book you have been demanding for months finally hits the stands! Miguel O’Hara is Spider-Man in the year 2099 but he’s currently stuck in the year 2014. He was stranded here by his father who is the head of an evil corporation called Alchemax in 2099. But in 2014, Alechmax has just been formed and Miguel has a chance to stop its corruption before it starts! You’d think being a man out of time would make you a man without enemies, but Spider-Man 2099 is about to discover that he’s not the only one hoping for a better tomorrow, one that might be ensured by The Adjustor eliminating Miguel from the time stream altogether! Join comics legend (and Spider-Man 2099 creator) Peter David and breakthrough artist Will Sliney (Superior Spider-Man Team-up) for the most adventure you’ll find in a book this side of the twenty second century!

Guardians of the Galaxy 3000!
A second Guardians of the Galaxy comic book is going to be launched in the Fall from Marvel as the following teaser was revealed at the Diamond Retailer Summit in Las Vegas.

Bleeding Cool says the new "Guardians 3000" series will feature the original Guardians; however, no creators are known to be attached as-of-yet.

Marvel's 100th Anniversary!
This year Marvel is celebrating their 75th Anniversary, and it seems they’re enjoying themselves so much they’re already publishing a miniseries celebrating their next milestone, their 100th, this July Announced at C2E2 during Saturday’s “Next Big Thing” panel, 100th Anniversary Special is a weekly series of five interconnected one-shots showcasing a wild and inventive future for the likes of the Avengers, the X-Men, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. And working on these five stories are some surprising names, from the likes of Dan Abnett, James Stokoe, Jen Van Meter, and more.

So there you have it, Marvel LATER! When will LATER become NOW? SOON!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Awesome OP, but you've forgotten that Hickman's Avengers titles are jumping... EIGHT MONTHS LATER! Your prophecy is that much closer to being fulfilled!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Fuck, I completely forgot about that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    USA Today: Avengers, X-Men see Red in Marvel's 'AXIS' event
    The Red Skull doesn't like petting puppies or contributing to charities. In fact, the guy's elementally pure when it comes to being evil.

And the most irredeemable of all Marvel Comics supervillains is more dangerous than ever in the upcoming event series Avengers & X-Men: AXIS. Marvel hosts a panel discussing the major new story line as well as other news Saturday at the Special Edition: NYC comic-book convention at New York's Javits Center.

Written by Rick Remender,AXIS runs nine issues over three months starting in October and crosses over into several Marvel titles including Iron Man, Magneto, Loki: Agent of Asgard and Remender's own Captain America and Uncanny Avengers comics.

The nihilistic Red Skull, a bad guy with Nazi roots who has been battling Cap in comics since 1941, has had parts of Charles Xavier's mind and telepathic powers sewn onto his own brain. The Skull also has harnessed the physical and psychic force of the behemoth Onslaught — an entity created from the personas of Xavier and Magneto — to enslave thousands of people and cause chaos by broadcasting messages of hate globally.

Remender's Uncanny Avengers book has featured Avengers and X-Men putting aside years of differences "to reconcile and become friends and (enjoy) high-fives and hugs and cuddles," he says. Now, with the coming of a supersized Red Skull, "they have to deal with a threat that is ultimately too big for them to contend with even working together."

Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort describes AXIS as "kind of a Michael Bay movie. It's big and spectacular and has a ton of full-out bombast."

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm so glad Marvel knows how to not drag event series out anymore. Forever Evil I'm looking at YOU.

Course an argument could be made to not have "events" all the time but whatever, people still buy them.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "Forever Evil" became a very apt title for that never ending slog of misery.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    USA Today: Avengers, X-Men see Red in Marvel's 'AXIS' event
    The Red Skull doesn't like petting puppies or contributing to charities. In fact, the guy's elementally pure when it comes to being evil.

And the most irredeemable of all Marvel Comics supervillains is more dangerous than ever in the upcoming event series Avengers & X-Men: AXIS. Marvel hosts a panel discussing the major new story line as well as other news Saturday at the Special Edition: NYC comic-book convention at New York's Javits Center.

Written by Rick Remender,AXIS runs nine issues over three months starting in October and crosses over into several Marvel titles including Iron Man, Magneto, Loki: Agent of Asgard and Remender's own Captain America and Uncanny Avengers comics.

The nihilistic Red Skull, a bad guy with Nazi roots who has been battling Cap in comics since 1941, has had parts of Charles Xavier's mind and telepathic powers sewn onto his own brain. The Skull also has harnessed the physical and psychic force of the behemoth Onslaught — an entity created from the personas of Xavier and Magneto — to enslave thousands of people and cause chaos by broadcasting messages of hate globally.

Remender's Uncanny Avengers book has featured Avengers and X-Men putting aside years of differences "to reconcile and become friends and (enjoy) high-fives and hugs and cuddles," he says. Now, with the coming of a supersized Red Skull, "they have to deal with a threat that is ultimately too big for them to contend with even working together."

Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort describes AXIS as "kind of a Michael Bay movie. It's big and spectacular and has a ton of full-out bombast."

I thought something seemed different in that article...

steam_sig.png
    I spent the last few nights re-reading and then finishing Fraction's whole Fantastic Four/FF run. I was really excited about FF, and loved it a ton, but F4 was such a slog to read through that I fell behind on both series around the halfway mark and didn't finish them till now.

Revisiting them, FF is still an awesome and unique title that left me wanting to spend more time with those characters. Now I kind of regret not picking up She-Hulk yet, and I'd definitely read a Scott Lang solo series as long as it respects his status quo from the end of FF. Unfortunately, the book got realllly shaky after Fraction left as a scripter, although it mostly affected the kids while the parts with Scott were still rock solid. At the same time, Jen and Medusa really faded into the background after the change.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one on this board who made it through all 16 issues of Fraction's Fantastic Four. Although some issues moved some pieces into place for FF to use, only the first two that set up FF and the last four that resolved the overarching plot were really worth reading. The last four issues, scripted by Karl Kessel, were probably ignored by a lot of people reading FF, but they were absolutely phenomenal and stepped the book up quite a bit. It also helped that Bagley was replaced on three of them with a much more detailed, modern-looking artist. Pretty much all of the progression for the overarching plot in F4 happens in those last four issues, while everything in between is weird episodic stuff that puts a character into a particular place or half-establishes a loose concept to be picked up later.

I'm curious, I think a lot of you all read FF, but did anyone make it all the way through Fraction's F4?

I've got Robinson's issues so far, and I'll probably read those tonight.

I started on Fractions F4 and FF runs because I liked the hickman stuff and I thought it was cool how the first volume was 50/50 of each series. I was okay with the first few volumes, so I went "what the hell" and got the last volumes since they were finishing the story.

I felt F4 was okay, I didn't have any major qualms about it, but FF basically took a giant steaming dump on Doom as a character. up until that point it was good, but jeeze I don't think I've ever seen a character so thoroughly castrated. Like, spoilers
    Having the fucking Living Tribunal show up to spank Doom is going way over the top into stupid land. The Tribunal didn't even get involved when Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet, why would he give a shit about Doom smacking a Watcher? (Also, as far as I know, there's no universal law governing the Watchers: they operate on their own laws and rules and they have nothing to do with the Living Tribunal. It's why Uatu can break his oath and only suffer punishment from his peers.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fraction's FF and F4 probably aren't even that bad but after Hickman's run my bar was set far too high, so I stopped reading pretty much immediately

I don't even know who I want to follow Robinson though I tend to think that after Gillen's Iron Man he could probably do great

Actually you know Abnett would probably do a good F4 as well

edited June 2014
    Yeah, I also think Gillen would do a great F4. I feel like Bendis could have a good F4 story in him as well, as long as he knows when to leave. I remember when Marvel NOW! first started, Axel Alonso said Jason Aaron had a really great F4 pitch, but they went with Fraction's instead because it was a more natural bridge out of what Hickman had done. I never would've made that connection between a creator and a book, but now I'd be really curious to see his idea play out.

Out of the newer talent, I think Dennis Hopeless would really work on the book as well, and he could stand to get a higher-profile title.

Edit: And on the end of FF
    I think the Living Tribunal actually was in Infinity Gauntlet? I recently read through all the consecutive Infinity events from the early 90s, including Thanos quest, and I remember him showing up pretty frequently.

Doom got a stomping for sure, but I only really had a problem with him saying that romani stuff, which I assume was him begging for mercy or surrendering. That speaks to the weird, out-of-character stuff that was kind of happening once Lee Allred took over the writing. The only voice he seemed to get was Scott's, and everyone else just became a vehicle for plot.

On the whole, it's a huge shame that Fraction left to do Inhumanity and then... didn't get to, likely because of what his vision for it was. I really would've loved to see his unaltered ending to FF.

HadjiQuest on
    I honestly think that Bendis is not very good at writing anything on a large scale

He's a crime, noir, street level writer and I think that most of his books which have departed from that shows he should stay there

Aaron could probably do a good F4, yeah, he's shown his high concept side and his family relations side many times before

I think Bendis would just be really good with the voices of the characters and the family aspect. It'd be cool to see him do a short run of it, maybe a dozen or so issues. I also think he'd be good for a brief Thor run as well; I still remember being really surprised by how well he handled Asgard in the Avengers Prime mini right after Siege. It was a simple story, but he really hit the character voices pretty well. I don't want to say that he's not good at high-concept, large-scale stuff, but I do think that in 2014 he's one of the weakest writers Marvel has for that stuff.

Avengers Prime is one of my favourite Bendis Avengers stories and I agree that some character beats were really nailed

But what I think made that happen was that it was a mini event. He had some issues to do the story in, there needed to be a self-contained plot, and that's why the whole thing flowed at a good pace and things actually happened. I don't mind decompression but when Bendis has his own ongoings with no kind of deadline of a story arc must happen and then finish, and it often doesn't with him. His New Avengers during Dark Reign were kind of the worst example of this, they kind of just pottered along doing whatever, getting dragged into whatever.

Strangely enough his Mighty Avengers at the same time was the opposite, they fought Ultron, then Doctor Doom, and it felt timely, it felt well paced, it was good to read. And I really liked those stories as well. So I think Bendis is fine when he gets down to business and writes solid plot arcs without meandering around. And he can do high concept, as his Kang story showed (which was pretty cool). But I feel that he's reluctant to go there, and with the F4 I think you need to embrace that element.

Incidentally if they gave Bendis a constant round of street level supers books then I'd probably read them all. I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of his Moon Knight (especially as he killed of Echo) but generally it's his best area of work.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    hey guys moon knight is still my favorite book on the market followed very closely by she hulk

thought you should know

So I read James Robinson's All-New Now titles, both Invaders and FF.

Invaders is pretty cornball, and really is Robinson and his most Robinson-est, with stilted dialogue and overly simplistic plotting that feels like it came right out of the transition from the silver age to the bronze age. I like it, but it's kind of a reproduction of an antique of sorts, and I was happy to hear that iFanboy are also fans of it when I was listening to their pick of the week podcast earlier today. It's fun for fans of Robinson's older work or of golden age legacy teams in general, but it's not a great book.

Robinson's Fantastic Four has all of those problems as well, but to a much smaller degree. I just caught up on all five issues so far, and they've been pretty good. I'm really enjoying the book; he gets the character voices most of the time, and it's a much sparser and more classic action/adventure oriented title than a lot of what's going on at marvel right now. I love Hickman and Remender, but I spent the last week catching up on the avengers books from the last few months, and they can be some dense books with a lot of active engagement expected from the reader. Sometimes it's nice just to have a book that's just colorful and full of punching. It's still sort of in the F4 fans-only wheelhouse, but it feels like reading a classic marvel story from the late 70s. Also, issue 5 with the trial and the guest art was just brilliant.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    hey guys moon knight is still my favorite book on the market followed very closely by she hulk

thought you should know

these are quality comicspinions, Hullis

keep on truckin

Moon Knight is great for sure

She Hulk is excellently written because Seoule is some sort of multi-genre writing god but the art

the art

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    the art is fantastic

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    If you like Soule's writing so much the least you could do is spell his name properly

jeez sorry

September solicits are out.

I was considering buying Death of Wolverine out of morbid curiosity, but the $4.99 pricepoint for a weekly book is a no-go for me.

edited June 2014
    Avengers Undercover is ending, according to that solicit.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2014
    So it looks like all current series are going straight to trade unless it's a large collection, with the trade off being most are now priced at 18 retail.

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2014
    Are you just going off of solits or was there an announcement?

EDIT: Iron Man Vol 5 is still hardcover

Undead Scottsman on
    n2fmeVz.png

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Read the new issue of Original Sin.

CALLED IT.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers #31
    Hickman basically did Age of Ultron better in one Avengers issue than that entire series.

It's a shame Thor only got that cool sword because he's basically Ultron's whipping boy and not worthy anymore.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    n2fmeVz.png

The fact that first quote even exists makes me sad. Just even that someone is looking at DC comics and going "YES THIS IS WHAT I WANT" , brb vomitting in my mouth

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Original Sin has felt pretty phoned-in so far. I'm really disappointed. I barely even consider Age of Ultron an event, but this has been worse so far. Fear Itself used to be the standard for events that really failed to meet my expectations, but I think Original Sin might get that medal if the second half doesn't improve dramatically.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    She Hulk is so good, but now Silver Surfer is also so good that I am beside myself with glee

(the new art in Punisher is not so great though :< )

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Original Sin has felt pretty phoned-in so far. I'm really disappointed. I barely even consider Age of Ultron an event, but this has been worse so far. Fear Itself used to be the standard for events that really failed to meet my expectations, but I think Original Sin might get that medal if the second half doesn't improve dramatically.

I think you are crazy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Age of Ultron was barely an event anyway. It was more of an ending to Bendis Avengers run a few years too late.

edited June 2014
    Yeah, it felt like they were publishing it just because they had been building it up for so long and didn't want to sit on Hitch artwork.

Edit: I'm kind of expecting this year to be similar as well, with Axis being a much better event that ties more heavily into the line and the author's own stories, just like Infinity was last year.

HadjiQuest on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

Anyone remember Day of Judgment? An entire DC crossover just to move Hal Jordan from "dead" to "semi-dead." Original Sin feels like that. Things are happening, but so far it feels like it's just a way to get old Nick Fury back on the board.
    Probably as the new Watcher.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Anyone remember Day of Judgment? An entire DC crossover just to move Hal Jordan from "dead" to "semi-dead." Original Sin feels like that. Things are happening, but so far it feels like it's just a way to get old Nick Fury back on the board.

I don't really get this argument. It sounds like you guys are mad because its not some huge world changing thing? I really like OS as a change of pace. here's a big story that spans the MCU but is a very personal story. One man died and the closest thing he has to friends are looking for answers.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited June 2014

I don't really get this argument. It sounds like you guys are mad because its not some huge world changing thing? I really like OS as a change of pace. here's a big story that spans the MCU but is a very personal story. One man died and the closest thing he has to friend are looking for answers.

I'm not mad. Just "eh". It is a thing that is happening. It could've happened in an Avengers book. Hell, the current happenings of Avengers, New Avengers, and Uncanny Avengers seem to have more oomph to them.

Automaticzen on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The current happening of Avengers are happening because of Original Sin.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Yeah, but Hickman didn't even acknowledge that, and they even gave cap a hook in Original Sins 3 when Fury asked him what he remembered.

Instead Hickman had Cap remember it from a dream, and the only actual mention of original sins was from Brevoort on the title page.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The dream is from the truth bomb. Hickman, Brevoort and the book recaps themselves acknowledge it

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2014
    The current happening of Avengers are happening because of Original Sin.

And? Marvel Now sprang out of AvX. I wouldn't call that series a watershed moment just because it lead into something else. Original Sin itself hinges on event that happened in Battle Scars. Does that make Battle Scars great?

Again:
    I'm not mad. Just "eh". It is a thing that is happening. It could've happened in an Avengers book. Hell, the current happenings of Avengers, New Avengers, and Uncanny Avengers seem to have more oomph to them.

Original Sin is just "good", not "great" for me, at a time when books surrounding it are doing much better.

Automaticzen on