As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can we have MathJax rendering?

http://www.mathjax.org/

It's how StackExchange and a bunch of other places render TeX mathematics formulas.

At least over in D&D there are times (like our current [Science!] thread) when it would be really really great to be able to show a properly formed equations and not try to make it work with regular characters.

MathJax is entirely clientside, so the only thing needed is to let the forums load it and set a configuration parameter for the types of text it should recognize.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Yes that, make that happen.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Looks open source to me, that's a no. This will only happen if it's something Icy finds personally interesting. It appears nowhere on my priorities list.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    Looks open source to me, that's a no. This will only happen if it's something Icy finds personally interesting. It appears nowhere on my priorities list.

MathJax itself is managed by a company and is what's used by StackExchange and the like for math rendering.

EDIT: huh, just realized I'm repeating myself. Confused why open source == no?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Maybe licensing issues? It uses one of the permissive licenses though

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think he means the existing vanilla plug in for it is someone's pet project, not an official vanilla thing.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I get what Tube means, but it's still a weird statement considering Vanilla itself is FOSS (and using a non-permissive GPL license at that).

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Its not weird if you think about the implications of offering open source unsupported plugins to our paying customers.

If we offer a plugin on our hosted platform, we are promising that it will/should work. If it stops working we're on the hook not the author. If it stops being maintained we have to start maintaining it. Not to mention the fact that we have to ensure that the code is safe for our servers (and our customers' data, by extension).

So its not even nearly as simple as just "well Vanilla is FOSS so wtf?"

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    We carefully decide what community plugins to make available on our hosted platform, and when we DO bring one over, we usually rewrite some or all of it to ensure that it is scalable and up to our coding standards.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I saw that.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    You saw nothing

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Alright, you saw something.

$$(
    \left [ - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V \right ] \Psi
    = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi
    )$$

The syntax has 2 methods: inline and block

Inline

This is when you want some sweet math symbols mixed in with regular text in a sentence.
    Start your sentence, then use "$(" and ")$" to wrap your mathematical whimsy.

Block

Use this format when you want to write a whole bundle of math and you don't to sprinkle it with regular text.
    Start with "$$(", then go to the next line and start your TeX code. When you're done, put a closing ")$$" on its own line at the end.

IcyLiquid on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    just wondering...
    $$(
    \left [ - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V \right ] \Psi
    = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi
    )$$

edit: cool it didn't get parsed!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    $( - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m})$

Wooo!!!! Thank you Icy!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    How awesome is Icy? $( \infty )$ awesome

(Can we get preview support?)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wait at least two hours after getting something neat before you ask for more stuff.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Wait at least two hours after getting something neat before you ask for more stuff.

Can I have a pony?

Not @Pony , but just a regular pony?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Can I have a pony?

Not @Pony , but just a regular pony?

e69a4287e1814d55dbe720b3d35251e354d5a0a5be7e4130229d0f8bf0419f7d.jpg

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thank you, Icy!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TeX is so beautiful.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Icy you are too cool!

Maybe even 3 cool?

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    this is pretty fantastic, thank you so much!

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yay, TeX support!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm studying some mathy stuff at the moment and remembered that we had MathJax support.

Turns out now there's some styling issue, all expressions (as seen in this thread) seem to get a vertical black bar to the right of them.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not seeing anything?

• Options
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Strange, I'm using Chrome.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    maybe you're not using the very very newest (since it was caused by a change in rounding behavior)? I dunno

all I can say is I do see it

End on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Ah, it's a Chrome issue then.

edit: or maybe not. I dunno. But switching to SVG rendering fixed it.
    However, the problem does not occur when using MathJax v2.6-beta.1 (neither HTML-CSS nor CommonHTML) so if it was a bug on our end, it's been fixed along the way.

Echo on