As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In need of a new Wireless Headset, my Logitech G930 died.

übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me find some choices to replace my G930. Unfortunately there have been models with spotty build quality, and mine aonly died after a year. Well, technically it still works, but the charging capability is shot so it has to be wired all the time, and even then if you don't hook it up in the right order the transmitter will reset every 8 seconds or so. I even bought a spare battery when I got it, and when the battery started taking less of a charge I swapped it out only to find it didn't work any better. It's a shame, they haven't made a newer model since around 2010, I don't want to run the risk of getting another lemon.

So, I'd like a wireless headset with at least 5.1 capability (7.1 preferred since that seems to be the standard) that can connect through USB (I only have the realtek audio on my motherboard that does have optical, but it tends to make something like A50's overkill since it can't match a dedicated card). I'd really like something that I can purchase spare battery packs for as well, just so I can use them for as long as possible. It took a little over a year for me to kill the pack in the G930 using it as my main audio source for at least 8 hours a day every day.

So far the one I like the most is the Steelseries H Wireless.....but that's $300. Ouch.
A50's are around that price as well but don't let you use USB since they rely on an external soundcard.
Skullcandy has the same problem.

I've looked at Razer, Asus, Coolermaster, Corsair, Creative, Turtlebeach.......too many brands and too many conflicting reviews the cheaper the cans become. So I figured you guys have practical experience with a wide range hardware and can help narrow down the field.

Those $300 Steelseries are awfully nice.......and my birthday is in a month.......nah I really shouldn't. Very expensive and I couldn't find any info on purchasing more battery packs when I kill the 2 that come with it in about 2 years. If I had multiple consoles it would be great, I just have my PC and a TV that I could hook up to it. Very tempting though.

camo_sig.png
übergeek on

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Your 930s should still be under warranty. It might be worth looking into getting them replaced that way. I've had a hard time finding reliably good wireless headsets too, and if you like the 930s aside from the charging issue, you might just be better off getting them fixed.

Also, it's worth noting that in the future, don't buy replacement batteries until you need one; their shelf life degrades even if they're not being used, so the spare you have being just as old as the one that's dying means it's going to be dying too.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    LD50 wrote: »
    Your 930s should still be under warranty. It might be worth looking into getting them replaced that way. I've had a hard time finding reliably good wireless headsets too, and if you like the 930s aside from the charging issue, you might just be better off getting them fixed.

Also, it's worth noting that in the future, don't buy replacement batteries until you need one; their shelf life degrades even if they're not being used, so the spare you have being just as old as the one that's dying means it's going to be dying too.

Over at the Logitech forums, you can get them replaced most of the time, but some people are on their 3rd set of replacements. It's just a defect that becomes worse over time. There's an issue with flimsy connectors (which I don't have or using the cable wouldn't work at all) and an issue with some wiring and a chip going screwy. I got mine on sale so I'm not out too much money.

The battery pack in the one I got last year was from 2010, so there's no guarantee I'd get a unit from the last year or so that might have had the issues fixed.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    Hmm, I expected more than one person to have wireless headphones. No one else?

camo_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I have these.

I am extremely satisfied with them, but I'm not really an audiophile like some are. Supposedly the 7.1 surround software is released and works but I haven't had the time/energy/drive to really test it.

But like I said, overall, I'm very happy with every bit of these. My amazon review is up there and has 10 out 10 helpful rating even haha!

davidsdurions on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Your link got eaten by the forums.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, fixed.

edited June 2014
    I have these.

I am extremely satisfied with them, but I'm not really an audiophile like some are. Supposedly the 7.1 surround software is released and works but I haven't had the time/energy/drive to really test it.

But like I said, overall, I'm very happy with every bit of these. My amazon review is up there and has 10 out 10 helpful rating even haha!

Thanks, I'll give it a read today or tomorrow.

EDIT Just read it, thanks for the input, it's helpful. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    Well..... I just contacted Steelseries to find out how to buy spare batteries for the Wireless H...because I just found out I had a way to get one for $100. However, they have told me they do not sell spare batteries. =\ So I'm stuck still looking for something.

camo_sig.png
    I guess I'm talking to myself, but I did some digging. The Creative 3D Omegas look nice, but the build quality appears to be a bit lax. The Z300's are better in build quality, but the sound doesn't match up to the G930's that I have that are mostly dead. I kinda wish I knew how long those 20 hour packs in the Steelseries H would last. If each pack gave me 2 years I'd probably suck it up and just buy them. Otherwise my option is buying another G930 which will commit suicide in a year.

camo_sig.png
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    My guess why you aren't getting responses is because most of us here don't use expensive wireless headsets, primarily because wireless audio is currently much worse than wired audio.

This won't improve until the bluetooth bandwidth and codex standards improve significantly (the bandwidth needs to double or triple in order to support FLAC). And even if bluetooth gets on the ball, headsets will need more power than they currently offer, in order to get quality audio. An example of the latter, some of us here are already using headphone amps, pumping out a half a watt to a full watt. If you pumped out that much power to a wireless headset, either the batteries required would be huge, or the usable time of the headset would be horrendous.

Thus, our expensive headphones are all of the wired variety. And we just use whatever for bluetooth headphones, and just deal with the suckatude for the convenience.

iTNdmYl.png