As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins: Grand Hunt at PAX Prime 2014 Complete! Winners selected!

MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in PAX West
pfua6k4y0bio.png
Icessassins ALS Charity Weekend
We are running a special event in the store to benefit The ALS Association. For every kit sold from August 21st until PAX Prime 2014 ends we will donate the entire proceeds to The ALS Association for ALS research. You'll be able to view the current donation progress on the website which will be updated regularly.

So here's the nitty gritty. Everything I receive for payment for the kits this weekend will be going to The ALS Association, not just the "profit". This is literally the best deal I can think to give anyone who may be interested in playing the game and wants their money going to a good cause.

Assassins: Grand Hunt at PAX Prime 2014
You walk into a massive space filled with people; bright lights and loud sounds grab your attention. Your eyes narrow as you scan the crowd, searching for your prey. Your mission will not be complete until your target lies at your feet but your goals span far beyond your next kill.

Assassins: Grand Hunt is a community social game inspired by the Assassin's Creed series and played during PAX Prime 2014 in Seattle, WA, August 29-September 1.

Assassins: Grand Hunt makes use of Assassin's Creed images and content with the express permission of Ubisoft.

Wait, what?
Just like past community assassins games (Assassins and Assassins Ball) I will be organizing, producing and running this game. Ubisoft has graciously allowed me to use their imagery and game content and in addition will be promoting the game and providing prizes to give to the top-rated players. There may also be other ways to win Assassin's Creed related prizes and swag.

Instead of a kickstarter kits will be sold directly through a square marketplace store. For the time being I won't be linking the store from the forums but you'll be able to find it through the website (http://www.phenixone.com).

What is Assassins: Grand Hunt?
You are an assassin with a mission to find specific players and assassinate them, gaining prestige for yourself and your allied faction. After you confirm a kill on your target you will receive a new mission and the process starts over.

The Assassin have many tools at their disposal.
Your Kit and Tools
Assassins are only as good as their tools and in the Grand Hunt it's no different. Each assassin kit comes with a large 3" player button that has a number of elements on it to identify players as an assassin.
  • Identifying Symbol - Each button is printed with a brightly colored shape on it that acts as an identifier for that player.
  • A unique QR Code and 5-letter code used for registering your badge and other game-related activities.
  • Below the symbol will be an emblem signifying that players allied faction (You'll pick your faction when you order your kit(s)).
kit_mock-up_724_543-6f24eeacf0493d1532cf2bd74544c8ca.png

The button has both a standard pin-back and a clothing magnet attachment to ensure that it stays on. The button should be worn on your left arm facing out or on the upper left side of your chest.

Kill Confirm
In addition to the player button each assassin kit comes with a Kill Confirm card that will be used so other players can confirm they have attacked the correct target. This card has a prominent QR Code printed on it as well as an alphanumeric backup code.
assassins_grand_hunt_forum_kill_confirm_640_421.png

Website
The game website http://www.phenixone.com will be your primary tool for Assassins: Grand Hunt information, registering your kit and receiving missions. Here you will also be able to view your prestige and ranking compared to other players overall and in your allied faction. The site has been rebuilt to work on mobile devices for use during the game.

A note on Missions to previous Assassins and Assassins Ball players
In the previous Assassins and Assassins Ball games physical mission cards were provided to the player. For this and future games missions will instead be provided through the games website.

How to play
Once you've received your kit you will need to go to the game website and register your player button (You will need to create an account that requires a valid email address prior to this step).

Missions
Shortly before the game starts you will receive an email that your first mission is available. This mission will be displayed on the website on a Current Mission page. Each mission will identify a a primary and secondary set of of symbol to look for on other assassin players as well as the preferred faction for the target. The specified faction on a mission is always optional but matching it to you target will earn you more prestige.

While you will never receive a mission requiring you to target your own faction you are free to do so if a players symbol matches the one on your mission. Once a mission has been assigned, you will notice that a timer starts to countdown on the website. After a few hours time the timer will reach zero and if you have not found your target you may request a new mission.

Assassinating Players
Despite the subject matter Assassins: Grand Hunt is not a physical game. Be respectful when approaching a target to inform them you have just killed them. While you are encouraged to be creative please do not:
  • Use prop weapons
  • Do things that could be considered threatening (Physical contact, proximity)
  • Above all don’t ruin someones fun

Confirming assassinations
To confirm your kill enter the code on that players Kill Confirm card on the website. Feel free to snap a picture of it for entering later in the event that you cannot access the website (You will need to confirm the kill before you will be given a new mission, however). You will only be able to assassinate players once.

Earning prestige
Prestige are points awarded for each confirmed assassination to the player. Points are also award to the assassins allied faction (except if the player and target are in the same faction). The amount of prestige awarded is determined by how closely you match your target to your mission.

Being assassinated
Struck down in your prime? Lucky for you, you were trained pretty well and your faction simply can't have you dying on the job. Unlike previous assassin games being assassinated is not the end of the line. When another player approaches you to be assassinated be cordial and allow them to see you Kill Confirm card but do not let them take it. Once they have scanned or taken a pic of it they will return it and be on their merry way. You may then continue with your mission, just be more careful ok?

Choose your allies. Find your purpose. Join the Grand Hunt.
Factions
Factions are powerful organizations whose goals affect the future of our world. As a player in the Grand Hunt you will ally with powerful and famous assassins or groups throughout history; you will have to choose a side from among the options below:
  • Assassin's Creed I (Altair)
  • Assassin's Creed II (Ezio)
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Brotherhood of Assassins)
  • Assassin's Creed III (Aveline & Connor)
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag (Edward)
  • Assassin's Creed Unity (Arno)
  • Templars (Elise & Templar)
  • Abstergo
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue (Shay)

What's next?
Don't see something covered here or uncertain about something? Got a suggestion or constructive criticism? Think this is awesome? Let me know below! I'm very excited about this years game and I hope you are too! If you're posting a question for me, please place @MarsChelios in your post so I can be alerted and respond promptly.

Here's some ways I'm connecting with people:
  • Assassins: Grand Hunt on Twitter. Don't forget the #PAXassin hashtag.
  • Assassins: Grand Hunt on Google+
  • Assassins: Grand Hunt on Facebook.

FAQ
  • Q: Will there be Second Life kits?
    A: No, Second Life kits are no longer needed or sold. Players are able to play for the length of the convention, all you need is a kit and access to the internet to play.

MarsChelios on

• Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    Ah, I have been awaiting this. Time to go tell all my friends... so I can kill them.

• banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    Looks like fun, just signed up...

pax
    clt
  • giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    this sounds cool. How many people usually play during pax?

• rsylvesterrsylvester Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    @MrJe11yman : "Not if I kill you first......... twice"

rsylvester on
  • CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    So this sounds really interesting, but does leave me a tad confused as to the "descriptive verbal exchange". I'm really wondering how descriptive this is. Can somebody who's done this before provide an example. The last thing I want to do is spent 4 minutes in monologue to a target and officially be the creepy guy playing the game.

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Cennedi wrote: »
    So this sounds really interesting, but does leave me a tad confused as to the "descriptive verbal exchange". I'm really wondering how descriptive this is. Can somebody who's done this before provide an example. The last thing I want to do is spent 4 minutes in monologue to a target and officially be the creepy guy playing the game.

Pretty much "I'm assassinating you" is what I have gotten in the past. ;)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    On the website I'm not seeing where to order the materials. I'd love to join, but I must be missing something.

• MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    giantry wrote: »
    this sounds cool. How many people usually play during pax?
    It's usually around 100-130 players on average, but it can scale much higher. Word of mouth is the primary way we get new players so please tell any friends that are attending. I'm going to be working on doing more promotion this year as well.
    Cennedi wrote: »

Pretty much "I'm assassinating you" is what I have gotten in the past. ;)
    This. Feel free to be creative but it's not supposed to take very long to assassinate someone.
    On the website I'm not seeing where to order the materials. I'd love to join, but I must be missing something.
    Right now things are just gearing up but once the kickstarter goes live in a few weeks you'll be able to order a kit. :)

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I've seen it, but never played it before, but I am super interested! I don't suppose there's a "First timer" FAQ listing, or a tips page or anything? I'd really like to join in!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • zepallicazepallica Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    This sounds so cool!

• ottergalottergal Registered User regular
    I've played the last couple of years and it's been a blast... the only question I have is really around going all digital for the campaigns. Internet access is sketchy at best sometimes - did you notice any issues with game flow at East? (or is this new for Prime?)

For those on the fence - this is a ton of fun.

• CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    This sounds really interesting, I'm actually going to Prime for the first time and have a large group of friends going. Will definitely mention this and see if can't get one or two of em interested.

• Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    As someone who's played before this is super fun and I can't wait to play again!

Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I've seen it, but never played it before, but I am super interested! I don't suppose there's a "First timer" FAQ listing, or a tips page or anything? I'd really like to join in!
    Not at the moment but I'll start one in the OP! The rules can be found here. Check those out and let me know any questions you have and I'll add them and others to the list. :)
    ottergal wrote: »
    I've played the last couple of years and it's been a blast... the only question I have is really around going all digital for the campaigns. Internet access is sketchy at best sometimes - did you notice any issues with game flow at East? (or is this new for Prime?)
    The new design and digital missions were rolled out at East. I didn't receive any complaints about data connectivity and my own experience was quite good accessing the website from my phone (4G iPhone 5).
    For those on the fence - this is a ton of fun.
    This sounds really interesting, I'm actually going to Prime for the first time and have a large group of friends going. Will definitely mention this and see if can't get one or two of em interested.
    As someone who's played before this is super fun and I can't wait to play again!
    Thanks guys!

• ottergalottergal Registered User regular
    Thanks, Mars! Already have people who watched us play last year ask how they get in on the fun. Just waiting on the Kickstarter to sign up!

Very cool, it sounds like a great game, Looking forward to playing!

HLRpxno.png
    @adias.angel‌ Thanks! That would have been very very awkward.

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Varsity Dead, class of 2012 here! If you guys are on the fence, just take the plunge! I've never had so much fun being paranoid for 3 days straight. And I didn't register a single kill either!

PimDtoK.png
  • ginsusamuraiginsusamurai Registered User regular
    I'm still interested in being a "bonus target" some how, on at least one day. Will it be possible with the new app to send out a second mission target? And I can hint locations on twitter as "intell"

• Joebeest86Joebeest86 Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    Really want to play this game. When will the kickstarter begin?

Joebeest86 on
    Thanks, Mars! Already have people who watched us play last year ask how they get in on the fun. Just waiting on the Kickstarter to sign up!
    Joebeest86 wrote: »
    Really want to play this game. When will the kickstarter begin?
    jukkakhan wrote: »
    Varsity Dead, class of 2012 here! If you guys are on the fence, just take the plunge! I've never had so much fun being paranoid for 3 days straight. And I didn't register a single kill either!
    Thanks guys! Information about the kickstarter or sign-ups should hopefully be coming in the next week or two.
    I'm still interested in being a "bonus target" some how, on at least one day. Will it be possible with the new app to send out a second mission target? And I can hint locations on twitter as "intell"
    These are some ideas I've been thinking about for a while (additional targets and missions) and it's the primary reason for the move to virtual missions. One of the ideas for additional targets would be that at certain scheduled times a VIP target that anyone could assassinate would appear that would be worth more than normal players.

At the moment I don't think players would be able to be a VIP but that is something I'd like to see in the future. I'd really like to add new roles for players and extend the type of actions players are able to perform (ex. Currently the only role is Assassin with it's only action being Assassinate).

I would like to second the idea of maybe doing a different role other then assassin if it ever becomes available. I can't guarantee I'll be able to keep up with finding people to assassinate but wouldn't mind maybe helping others acquire kill/points.

I would like to second the idea of maybe doing a different role other then assassin if it ever becomes available. I can't guarantee I'll be able to keep up with finding people to assassinate but wouldn't mind maybe helping others acquire kill/points.
    Thanks @Cosmopolitan! Let me know if you have any ideas for that kind of role!

I'll definitely keep it in mind =)

Thanks @Cosmopolitan! Let me know if you have any ideas for that kind of role!

I think one kind of role could be as a "Arms Dealer". What you could do is you wear a different symbol or something, place it in the same place as the others, but instead of being assassinated you give bonuses to the next kill they do. The way you could do it is if the assassin meets up with you, you scan their code or put it into the website and it applies a multiplier to one of their kills.

Another role would be as a "Contact". If you find one of these people, they can give you a code to acquire an extra target so you have to hunt 2 people at one time. However the code only works once per person.

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    ok, this looks like a ton of fun. keeping my eyes peeled for the kickstarter :)

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I cannot WAIT! I've played every year so far, it's so much fun.

I also like the idea of the "Arms Dealer" who could give you a bonus to your next kill. =)

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    Cannot wait for this kickstarter to go live. This is my first PAXPrime and this sounds like an awesome game to play.

Thanks to everyone for waiting so patiently. I'm extremely excited to announce Assassins: Grand Hunt for this years game. For more information please check the updated OP or the website (http://www.phenixone.com) and let me know any questions you may have.

There will be plenty more info about the game coming in the next few days and weeks but for those who are ready to grab a kit you can do so through the website.

• Colonel ClinkColonel Clink Registered User regular
    Awesome! Just purchased, cannot wait!

• rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    Oh gosh, I'm super stoked for this. Now to decide what faction to join!

• MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I have joined the ranks. Super excited, been a long time since I've played a game of Assassins.

• IroquoisIroquois Registered User regular
    This game interested me a lot last year and I'm excited to try it out this year.

3DS Friend code: 2449-5995-8538
    Cool! Got a kit, this should be fun, first time I've ever played!

HLRpxno.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @MarsChelios‌ Love the AC theme. If we order now when should we expect the kits to ship? Or for the procrastinator in my what's the last day to order so they ship in time? :p

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    edited July 2014
    Awesome! Just purchased, cannot wait!
    rahnawyn wrote: »
    Oh gosh, I'm super stoked for this. Now to decide what faction to join!
    I have joined the ranks. Super excited, been a long time since I've played a game of Assassins.
    Iroquois wrote: »
    This game interested me a lot last year and I'm excited to try it out this year.
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Cool! Got a kit, this should be fun, first time I've ever played!
    Awesome! Thanks a lot guys!
    @MarsChelios‌ Love the AC theme. If we order now when should we expect the kits to ship? Or for the procrastinator in my what's the last day to order so they ship in time? :p
    Thanks! Kits should ship out in a about a week. I'm still getting some materials ordered and will let you guys know when the start going out.

If you are sure you're going to play I would order as soon as you can. Because I'm not doing a Kicsktarter this time and have no idea how many players there will be from the promotion I'm ordering materials in batches as needed/anticipated. This means that it's possible I could run out of kits and not be able to order more due to time constraints.

MarsChelios on
  • King_of_DewKing_of_Dew Registered User regular
    Real Estate would be fun to add.

Different booths could volunteer to be Real Estate and have a code to scan, which would give "cash" to spend at the Arms Dealer.

• linxcatlinxcat Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I feel like the factions are going to be imbalanced... is the bell curve going to settle things out?

• linxcatlinxcat Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also, is there a way to get my Kit in Canada? The order form is quite obviously limited to US orders

edited July 2014
    linxcat wrote: »
    I feel like the factions are going to be imbalanced... is the bell curve going to settle things out?
    Are you talking about the factions? If so, they are each limited to a specific number. While I may add more kits in as a whole if demand is high each faction would increase by the same amount.
    linxcat wrote: »
    Also, is there a way to get my Kit in Canada? The order form is quite obviously limited to US orders
    So this is a bit embarrassing but I was not aware until now that Square only sold to US customers. I will look around for alternatives either for selling overall or to non-US players and let you know once something has been set up. Thank you for asking about this! :)

MarsChelios on