As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2014 Cosplay thread

AaronCAaronC Enforcer - LieutenantPortland OregonRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in PAX Australia
Hello all, looking forward to seeing you in Melb!

Feel free to post your pictures, comments and everything cosplay related in this thread, below is the costume weapons policy and how to have a good time.

PAX ATTENDEE COSTUME WEAPON POLICY
The official policy is as follows:

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm
This rule has been rescinded by PAX for PAX Prime, East and South, however, a realistic looking gun violates Australian law in the State of Victoria, so sorry guys, just don't bring it.
That said, the standard for what looks like a firearm has been relaxed, so toy guns are fine, it will not get you in trouble with PAX, but if you bring a replica it will not be allowed. PAX takes absolutely no responsibility for you getting in trouble with the police on the way to PAX or if they see you later and think your prop is too real looking. Even if it's ok with PAX that doesn't mean it's ok with the Australian Police.

An example of replica guns that wouldn't be allowed: Not allowed

- It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

- Bats are allowed as long as you don't go around hitting people with em. "Bats are ok. Don't be a dick with them."

Please note that, Little Sister syringes that are made of wood are not allowed because you can accidentally poke someone, especially in the Expo hall. If the syringe part is made of rubber instead it would be totally acceptable.

PEACE BONDING AT CON FOR COSTUME WEAPONS
NOTE: This peace bonding information is from PAX Australia 2014.

There will be a Weapons Check booth next to the Info Desk. It will be staffed by enforcers from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will be directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. If an attendee's weapon is approved they will receive a zip tie. Please note that zip ties will be placed on the prop in an area of your choice. It must remain secure but it can be in an area that can be covered for photos.

If you bring something in that's not allowed or not approved you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return.

AaronC on

• WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    Hey, Are many people thinking of dressing up? This will be my first convention and I've put together my first cosplay as Misty and am keen to see how many others are thinking about dressing up. I've been told it's not as common at PAX as it is at other types of conventions.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    WallStar wrote: »
    Hey, Are many people thinking of dressing up? This will be my first convention and I've put together my first cosplay as Misty and am keen to see how many others are thinking about dressing up. I've been told it's not as common at PAX as it is at other types of conventions.

Nope, if anything I saw more cosplay at PAX Aus than I see at most other conventions. There isn't a focus on it, no competitions, but it's still very common to see cosplayers around. It mostly leans more towards video game cosplay than the usual anime or 1001 Naruto cosplayers.

• WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    CuZZa wrote: »
    WallStar wrote: »

Nope, if anything I saw more cosplay at PAX Aus than I see at most other conventions. There isn't a focus on it, no competitions, but it's still very common to see cosplayers around. It mostly leans more towards video game cosplay than the usual anime or 1001 Naruto cosplayers.

Awesome, good to know! Eep - can't wait! Maybe I'll see out a FF outfit too for another day then :smiley:

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    If the community wanted to run a contest or have their own event they could. It's totally up to you. At Prime and East the people on the forum have organized their own meetups.

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PAXAusCosplay/

Is the group you want to be part of :)

• roknagorroknagor Registered User new member
    Hey man so are metal weapons banned if they're not sharp enough to stab/cut someone? I have swords I want to bring but the edges are dulled and not really able to hurt anyone

edited June 2014
    Real swords are not allowed, a metal weapon that isn't sharp should be ok, however I'm not saying it will be 100 percent ok, it will have to be checked.

Something like a fencing foil without a sharp tip would be ok. A metal baseball bat is fine.

AaronC on
  • roknagorroknagor Registered User new member
    yea its 3 katana shaped swords with the tip/ sharp edges flat so hopefully!

I would probably err on the side of caution there. If it's metal and shaped like a sword then most people would say it's a sword. Sharp or not. Especially as if it is pointed the wrong way when someone walks into the end of it. If your outfit requires a sword, go with something in soft plastic or wood that you can paint silver or cover in foil.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    CuZZa wrote: »
    There isn't a focus on it, no competitions, but it's still very common to see cosplayers around.

While there are no official PAX costume competitions, as @aaronc said there could be community ones. In addition many times I have seen or heard of game companies hosting\organizing competitions based on their games or characters. So pay attention to your favorite game companies twitter.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I will most likely bring the Samson costume, although probably not the Winter-King mask since I fear the antlers getting damaged.

• ZbenzZbenz Registered User new member
    Hoping to bring something along to the party, not too sure quite what yet.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to Enforce, but I'm also planning a Wind Waker Ganon cosplay if I can manage to get it sorted in time

steam_sig.png
  • TehkellaTehkella Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I am really torn over what to do for cosplay this year. I have my original Tomb Raider costume that I didn't get around to wearing last year due to a) freezing conditions and b) cosplay fatigue (having worn two different costumes on the first two days). The main concern I have with the TR one is the guns - they are blue but I'm not sure if they will be okay in line with the weapons policy.

I am also keen on cosplaying as grown-up Aurora from Child of Light, but ehhh so many props and fiddly bits! Same with Princess Hilda from A Link Between Worlds, which I'd also love to do.

Tehkella on
  • f4ctionf4ction Melbourne, AURegistered User new member
    I am curious with regards to the weapons rule when stuff like this was ok at PAX last year (not picking on this person, just an example pic I took) I am curious if this will be ok

• princesskittyprincesskitty Registered User regular
    Guys I plan on cosplaying asuna from sword art online, im scared ill be out of place in case theres like noone doing anime cosplays
    Like yeah its coming to vita in aus soon and it was on vita in Japan already but. .. ekk
    I just need reassurance that I will be accepted
    Its my 2rd big con- first being gold coast nova this year

Thanks

• f4ctionf4ction Melbourne, AURegistered User new member
    princesskitty, don't stress! I have at least three friends going in anime gear!

Princesskitty, you won't be on your own - do it :)

• MeiMemiMeiMemi WA, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Princesskitty don't worry not only will you NOT be on your own, you wont be the only one cosplaying from Sword art online, I plan to Cosplay as Sinon & I talked my team mate into going as Kirito(GGO Version)

@Thread would guns like the below image be okay? NOTE: the silver/gray parts will be painted black
    ergzbisw9p86.jpg

MeiMemi on
    Gun.jpg 119.1K
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    MeiMemi wrote: »
    @Thread would guns like the below image be okay? NOTE: the silver/gray parts will be painted black
    AaronC wrote: »
    - It looks like a real firearm
    This rule has been rescinded by PAX for PAX Prime, East and South, however, a realistic looking gun violates Australian law in the State of Victoria, so sorry guys, just don't bring it.
    That said, the standard for what looks like a firearm has been relaxed, so toy guns are fine, it will not get you in trouble with PAX, but if you bring a replica it will not be allowed. PAX takes absolutely no responsibility for you getting in trouble with the police on the way to PAX or if they see you later and think your prop is too real looking. Even if it's ok with PAX that doesn't mean it's ok with the Australian Police.

MeiMemi, up to you if it is worth the risk and how important it is to your cosplay.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    That said, the standard for what looks like a firearm has been relaxed, so toy guns are fine, it will not get you in trouble with PAX, but if you bring a replica it will not be allowed.
    Seeing as the Hand gun i want has a closed Barrel & Locked trigger it should be classed as a Toy, right?
    As for importants it is very but now you have made me scared for my Sniper rifle ;-; I'll ask about my sniper once I have accually made it.

Does PAX have a Prop size restriction?

That said, the standard for what looks like a firearm has been relaxed, so toy guns are fine, it will not get you in trouble with PAX, but if you bring a replica it will not be allowed.
    Seeing as the Hand gun i want has a closed Barrel & Locked trigger it should be classed as a Toy, right?
    As for importants it is very but now you have made me scared for my Sniper rifle ;-; I'll ask about my sniper once I have accually made it.
    It is all very grey area legally. There is a bunch of information here from the Victorian Police about what constitutes a replica, an imitation or a toy. The only legal firearms are toys. Imitation requires a Prohibited Weapon Approval to carry. The main distinguishing point between all of those is "Can the weapon be mistaken for a real weapon by a reasonable person?" Note this also includes ones that are purchased as toys and modified to look more realistic and weapons you have made yourself. As noted on the page, if you have questions on this, seek independent legal advice. As mentioned in the OP, PAX takes no responsibility for issues you may have with law enforcement in regards to cosplay weapons. Also as always any weapons must be submitted to weapons check tagged as OK by the security team.
    While there is no stated restriction, it is mostly asked that you follow the standrd rules of PAX when it comes to these things. If you have a huge prop and you are causing issues with it (eg, swinging a giant hammer around in a crowded hall) then you may have issues with the security team. However we have had people at last year's PAX Aus with huge props (eg a Chell cosplayer with a gigantic inflatable companion cube the same size as her) who were quite popular and understood where and when it was inappropriate to have such a large prop. So in short, as long as it obeys all other rules and you use your brain, it will probably be ok.

I may ping @AaronC to confirm this.

@
    @Princesskitty don't worry not only will you NOT be on your own, you wont be the only one cosplaying from Sword art online, I plan to[/img][/spoiler]

Ohhhh we should meet up for photos then!!
    And thank god cause I lovr cosplay and stuff but I freak out about it at times. Cause im no where near as talented as the friends I have that cosplay...

PAX does not have a prop restriction however, if you're prop is interfering with other attendee's ability to move or becomes a safety hazard then you will be asked to remove it.

If you look at the PAX Aus website you will see the weapons rules. Airsoft guns are not allowed. PAX itself does not ban realistic looking toy weapons, however PAX will not provide advice on what is legal in Victoria. It is up to the individual cosplayer to make that determination. As I've said before (thanks for the qoute Beker), you won't get in trouble with PAX, but a realistic looking toy gun may get you in trouble with the Victoria Police.

Okay good, everything is OKAY!

@Pincesskitty: sounds good, we haven't yet decided what day we will be cosplaying SAO, I'll PM you once I know.

Awesome! !

• BuzzPuppyBuzzPuppy Registered User regular
    PrincessKitty, MeiMemi, to give you an idea of what may happen (Deadpool costume for a charity event, riding on public transport, NSW police)... just keep your cosplay props under wraps when in public :smiley:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/deadpool-arrested-on-sydney-train-police-alerted-to-superhero-armed-with-guns-grenades-and-ninja-swords/story-fni0cx12-1227001404525?nk=6d8a3ca6aa615c89bd0903d4058be4d2

Oh yeah I know that much, I have a scabbard for the sword so it will props just stay in that all day unless photos are wanted!
    But thanks

My guns are similar to the ones posted here but they are bright blue. I'd like them to be silver/black, but I figured they would look too real then, so I'll stick with my blue ones.

• MontablacMontablac Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I know that much, I have a scabbard for the sword so it will props just stay in that all day unless photos are wanted!
    But thanks

careful, even if they're in a scabbard, people might still mistake them for the real thing. to be on the safe side i'd keep them in a bag till you get to pax, and store them away again on the way home

@BuzzPuppy haha thanks for that. Iv been going to cons long enough to know any type of weapon related object is not okay outside the event grounds. I was just confussed due to last years rules, Now that i know toys are okay with PAX im good.

Mmm ok
    I have carried a real I sword around before, pros of being a cadet, and found that once scabed and slung people tend to ignore it
    Its when its waving around or obvious that you get in trouble

• deadliciousdeadlicious Registered User new member
    So I just saw this thread and it has me worried. I plan as cosplaying as Link and carrying a Master Sword in a scabbard. It is metal but I don't think it could pierce/stab someone. Chances are it would stay on my back in the scabbard for the whole day only drawn for photos etc.

Anyone know how strict PAX is on the weapons checks/ever refused entry?

Thanks

Metal swords are not allowed.

They will not be allowed. We have sent people home to drop of their prop before.

• El Barto 227El Barto 227 Registered User regular
    I'm cosplaying (yay!), with two different costumes (L4D Hunter and Slenderman). Don't need weapons, but what is a good fake blood that won't leave a big mess?

• NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    I'm planning to go as Chell :D

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I'm cosplaying (yay!), with two different costumes (L4D Hunter and Slenderman). Don't need weapons, but what is a good fake blood that won't leave a big mess?

Just on the slenderman topic, there was an issue at another con with someone dressed up as slenderman taking the whole creepy stalking, touching randoms on shoulders e and standing behind people to the extreme, and it blew up into a massive issue. Just remember to take that into account when you are wearing your outfit ;)

• El Barto 227El Barto 227 Registered User regular

Just on the slenderman topic, there was an issue at another con with someone dressed up as slenderman taking the whole creepy stalking, touching randoms on shoulders e and standing behind people to the extreme, and it blew up into a massive issue. Just remember to take that into account when you are wearing your outfit ;)
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep that in mind

• KeevaKeeva Registered User new member
    Will I need to take this through the weapons check? It's not a weapon, but it's pointy-lookin' and I thought it might get us pulled up? It's all foam, though. We have no actual weapons (ran out of time, sadfase).

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am going to guess "yes"