As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a new graphics card

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
Making a new PC, but I made a mistake and bought a 620 watt PSU. Everything else is top of the line.

The graphics card I wanted to use requires a 750 watt PSU.

Are there any cards as powerful with a PSU requirement under 620w?

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moving this to the Tech Tavern.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    In the Q&A tab on the linked page people are saying they are running it fine with 650 watt psu. I'd go so far as saying a good quality 500 watt psu would do the job assuming no other crazy power hungry things going on.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I just did some research. Nvidia are the ones with low watt usage cards, and Ati sucks power like crazy.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    You might have that backwards? I am running two r9 290xs on crossfire mode on a 760 and things work just fine. I don't think NVifia cards are huge power hogs though either. People generally buy too much power supply. The advantage I suppose is that even as your PSU agree it will 've able to supply adequate power to the mobo

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Graphics card power supply requirements are horseshit.

For instance, that card can draw at absolute physical maximum, 300 watts in total.

A gold-rated or higher 450 watt PSU should drive it easily. 550 watts if you have a real beastly processor like a socket 2011 6 core.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Graphics card power supply requirements are horseshit.

For instance, that card can draw at absolute physical maximum, 300 watts in total.

A gold-rated or higher 450 watt PSU should drive it easily. 550 watts if you have a real beastly processor like a socket 2011 6 core.

What card? The r9? You are correct, but I have two of them.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to be using an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core.

This is my power supply.

This is the graphics card I want to use.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    At 125w, that CPU is definitely a power hog, but you won't have any problems at all pairing it with that graphics card on that PSU.