As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The 100] Criminal Teens, No Parents, Mutant Deer. Smells like the CW.

2»

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    They really seem to be flip flopping a lot with the Bellamy character, they spent the last two episodes showing him being an actual leader (getting everyone to start building fortifications to protect them from the grounders, trying to keep the murder on the down low to prevent what they ended up trying to do to Murphy from happening, and even being really cool to the one little girl both before and after the incident), and now this episode he is straight back to how he was in the first couple of episodes looking out for himself and damning a whole bunch of people in the process.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Bellamy is a dick but I remain half on his side. This whole situation is the bed the station council made, and I don't see a problem with forcing them to lie in it.

It doesn't help that Clarke is getting annoying.

I do like that we avoided the obvious teen drama this week though.

But I want Bellamy to just keep on course until Clarke is forced to actually confront the fact that being such a bleeding heart is not tenable.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Ok so I was yelling at this episode the whole time.
    Don't they have enough drop ships to get people off the Ark? Instead of murdering 300+ people, why not send them down? Its sure death vs. maybe this group will make it. I wanted to kill that asshole who destroyed the radio too. Little sister can't fall in love but you can sleep with all the whores you want to. Someone shank him already, even I would have a hard time following a prick like him.
    To the first, they plan to go back to Earth eventually, so any dropships they have are likely being held back for that. They only sent the 100 down early because they needed to try and accelerate their plans due to the environmental systems failing. The drop ships they have are a non-renewable resource.
    It'd really suck if 30, 40 years in the future when they decide Earth is finally safe enough, but 300+ people have to stay here because grandpa decided to try and colonize early. Lot harder to get volunteers then, I'd imagine.

As to the radio thing, yeah, dick move. But dude's been a dick since before they landed, so it wasn't particularly surprising.

Well, I guess the dropship question has been cleared up.
    Of course, now you have to wonder how the people who built the ark planned on killing off all but 800 people (even with a negative population growth from each couple only being allowed a single kid, they'd still be way overbooked for groundside tickets). Or maybe they just planned to grow new dropships over the course of the next century and hope nobody ever heard of the whole "entropy" thing.

edited May 2014
    Ok so I was yelling at this episode the whole time.
    Don't they have enough drop ships to get people off the Ark? Instead of murdering 300+ people, why not send them down? Its sure death vs. maybe this group will make it. I wanted to kill that asshole who destroyed the radio too. Little sister can't fall in love but you can sleep with all the whores you want to. Someone shank him already, even I would have a hard time following a prick like him.
    To the first, they plan to go back to Earth eventually, so any dropships they have are likely being held back for that. They only sent the 100 down early because they needed to try and accelerate their plans due to the environmental systems failing. The drop ships they have are a non-renewable resource.
    It'd really suck if 30, 40 years in the future when they decide Earth is finally safe enough, but 300+ people have to stay here because grandpa decided to try and colonize early. Lot harder to get volunteers then, I'd imagine.

As to the radio thing, yeah, dick move. But dude's been a dick since before they landed, so it wasn't particularly surprising.

Well, I guess the dropship question has been cleared up.
    Of course, now you have to wonder how the people who built the ark planned on killing off all but 800 people (even with a negative population growth from each couple only being allowed a single kid, they'd still be way overbooked for groundside tickets). Or maybe they just planned to grow new dropships over the course of the next century and hope nobody ever heard of the whole "entropy" thing.

My guess is that
    the population ballooned before they even started to consider it. Remember that the Ark wasn't as much built as it was cobbled together from the space stations that different countries had in orbit at the time, with the population being their crew. No one was sent up as some "let's save the best humanity has to offer" sort of thing. For the first few years before they could run tests or see how the earth was recovering, they probably didn't realize that ever returning to the ground was even an option.

As for this episode, I really like this partners in leadership dynamic between Belamy and Clarke, it seemed stronger, or at least more prevalent this episode in small things like
    how Belamy would order his guys to do something like keep everyone out of the room, but the second she showed up or said something contradictory to Belamy, they would hesitate, but then do whatever she told them to do.
    As long as they can stop waffling on Belamy's character growth I would really like to see that partnership moving forward.

In regards to the grounder
    its nice to see the CW doing what it always does and making the guy that likes in a freaking cave ridiculously good looking with washboard abs after you take away his mask and cut his shirt off (which I'm sure was just done to make torturing him easier ;) )

LostNinja on
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Just finished the finale. Overall, that was a decent first season for a CW show, but it most definitely was a CW show. Still, it was pretty enjoyable throughout and I'll likely tune in for next season, which is apparently going to start up this fall.

I found this article if anyone is interested in some previews of season 2 stuff, it's got some interesting bits.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    The mountainmen twist was pretty great, but I hope the show doesn't veer too far from the teen lord of the flies dynamic just yet, I think there's a lot of good storytelling left that they can do with that.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm just surprised that no one on earth tried to contact the Ark at any point. Looks like the Mountain Men are pretty well off with power and shit. Hopefully they answer that next season. I've enjoyed this show, surprisingly, but it's nothing like Agents of Shield or Sleepy Hollow.

I'm just surprised that no one on earth tried to contact the Ark at any point. Looks like the Mountain Men are pretty well off with power and shit. Hopefully they answer that next season. I've enjoyed this show, surprisingly, but it's nothing like Agents of Shield or Sleepy Hollow.

To be fair, AoS was pretty mediocre until it got a boost from the Captain America 2 plotline.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Could be handwaved as The Ark not listening. I mean, they just saw the entire planet nuke itself back to the stone age. It's time to turn off the radio so you don't live the rest of your life with nightmares caused by listening to people begging for help that you can't provide while they're slowly dying of radiation poisoning/starvation/cannibalistic mutants. After that, no real reason to continue trying to contact a dead Earth, not when those radio components could be put to use elsewhere.

Also, it's possible that nobody on Earth knows The Ark is there. From the celebration recitation (before it was bombed) it seemed that joining all the space stations into one happened after the war and without any input from the respective governments of the Arks components. Anyone around with tech to see that would likely have to be in their underground bunkers so as not to die from fallout.

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    So this season has been decent so far, good enough at least to keep me watching. That said, this most recent episode had several moments that really annoyed me.
    The whole rope bit was frustrating, both because of how much they overplayed it before it happened, and just of how dumb of a situation it was to begin with. If they were seconds away from the point when they would be pulling the pair of people up, why was the rope still just tied off and not being held by anyone in preparation? Plus the show screwed up with that scene by showing the people up top after the fall with the neon pink rope still tied off on the stump in the background.

The end of the episode bothered me, both in the annoying bossy guard's nonsense with shooting the balloon antenna, and then with Anya getting killed. I mean, I get it, this isn't a happy story, but I feel like they've been going a bit overboard with the twists of misfortune. They can be shocking and good storytelling devices when appropriate, but when you can be right more often than not by simply guessing the worst possible outcome in any situation, things might have gone a bit too far.

Oh, and I can't see whatshisface as anyone other than Arlo Givens, so it makes all of his scenes particularly interesting/entertaining in a completely unintended fashion.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405