As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Persuade Big Bang Theory to visit Pax Prime (in an episode) project

The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
I've had this idea knocking around for quite awhile: Wouldn't it be cool if The Big Bang Theory visited Pax Prime in an episode? I know it's probably not likely this year of course. But it could still happen someday! And why not? We're one of the biggest cons in the West Coast! We've got lots to offer, and a beautiful city full of attractions of its own! So how could we go about persuading them? Well, first off, why not make a list of reasons the characters of the show would have to go?

Please state the character's name along with likely reasons they might use to persuade their fellows to go.

For example:

Sheldon- He assumes Pax Prime is Will Wheaton's "home turf" and wants to have a "final showdown" or a "faceoff" with him. He also thinks his friends would surely wish to go and "defend his honor".

Sheldon- There is a place called The Old Spaghetti Factory where you sit at a table inside an old Caboose. It's over by the Waterfront, and they could go for dinner there.

Gaming since 1986.
Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
"S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....

• brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    PAX is hard enough to get tickets to as it is, do you really want to advertise it on a huge international tv show?

I fear that this would drastically increase demand for tickets with people wanting to go simply because they saw it on the show without knowing anything about PAX or gaming.

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    Maybe it would, but in all honesty, do you think people don't know about Pax already? They could even mention several other Paxen as alternatives, and have Sheldon overrule them in favor of the "turf war with Will Wheaton".

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    I am at the Spaghetti Factory right now, hehe...

pax
    clt
  • XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    From the production standpoint of the show it'd be an utter nightmare with sound and crowd control. One of the reasons shows like these make up their own con and shoot in those. It would be an awesome if it did happen at PAX thou!

• emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    Please do not do this. Plenty of over-demand for PAX as-is. Also, too much hubbub inside PAX without adding a television crew to it and the random gawking that goes with.

• The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Xarthan wrote: »
    From the production standpoint of the show it'd be an utter nightmare with sound and crowd control. One of the reasons shows like these make up their own con and shoot in those. It would be an awesome if it did happen at PAX thou!
    My idea was for them to have the cast do certain parts of the episode on Thursday/Thursday night without telling anyone they were around. Then, they could have people dress up in hilarious cosplay and pretend to be them in disguise, while being followed around discreetly by a light camera crew. They could have the real actors do voice-overs too. Then, after they're done actually doing any filming, they announce that they are around, with some items from the show up on the Child's Play auction, and maybe do a panel or two with some time for autographs. The "showdown" could easily be done in one of the smaller rooms near the escalators at the main entrance area. They could have better security that way too.

On Thursday, we usually see the banners, ect up and waiting for the next day. It's not unusual for people to come in at that time, and the cast might be able to get away with coming there early by arguing in favor of taking in the sights, or Sheldon wanting to "catch Will unawares".

I'd also like to point out that if they made a light camera crew for the actual event days, they could easily blend in, and with nigh-recognizable disguises, you could shove anyone that fits the body-type into them too. If you don't know it's "them" you likely wouldn't know just from looking at say....a Chocobo cosplayer. And considering they could rent some nice cosplay if they wanted, they could also have a Spartan cosplay.

The Word of Bird on
    Gaming since 1986.
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of TBBT and I would love love love to see them attend a Pax, but I think if they were to do a show have it tie in with the new Wil Wheaton Project...they could do a bait and switch panel, have Wil Wheaton come out and have TBBT cast do quick cameos. Done and done.

• CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    I think another problem with this (just playing devils advocate) is that one of the big things about television production is that everybody knows what will be coming next and lots of actions will set up the main characters to make a joke or two. However if they were to make it actually -at- PAX, it would be impossible to create those set ups naturally. It would be like a terrible episode of candid camera meets a worse episode of whose line is it anyway. It might get some chuckles, but I think it would end up as not that much of a gem while simultaneously hiking up demand for tickets.

On the good side however it would probably get the PAX name out to a lot of other companies that might have been leery of promoting at PAX before. But now that it has national recognition through TBBT, it would create greater advertising revenue. (Or at least this is what I theorize. I don't know. I'm not an economics buff.)

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    It's also worth considering that The Big Bang Theory, while popular, also has a reputation for being a nerd minstrel show. Personally I do not want them anywhere near PAX.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It's also worth considering that The Big Bang Theory, while popular, also has a reputation for being a nerd minstrel show. Personally I do not want them anywhere near PAX.
    Aww....but then you could make potential jokes about them being eaten and how happy that would make everyone. And is it just me, or does the image of Sheldon in hose give anyone else a few laughs? Though I bet the best song we could get out of him is "Soft Kitty"...;D So you wouldn't even want them involved in a possible Pax Prank outside of the show?

Gaming since 1986.
  • SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Ugh. No. Just no. The reason PAX is still leaps and bounds better than ComicCon is because Hollywood royalty does not come to PAX. And I am not using the word royalty as a compliment.

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
    SanDogWeps wrote: »
    Ugh. No. Just no. The reason PAX is still leaps and bounds better than ComicCon is because Hollywood royalty does not come to PAX. And I am not using the word royalty as a compliment.
    True. I still want to see Vin Diesel (a TRUE GAMER!) visit Pax one of these days to hit the Dnd tables. Would be sweet to play an adventure with him...

Gaming since 1986.