As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a Microwave

see317see317 Registered User regular
I got home from work to find my microwave running on it's own, nothing on the timer and not turning the table, just has the light on and humming like it does when it's in use. I unplugged it while I tried to track down the owners manual (no luck on a print copy), I tried to plug it back in and it made some ugly grinding noises at me so it's staying unplugged for now until I get a replacement. And that's where you come in H/A

The one I have now is a GE SpaceMaker XL1800
Quick guide
Manual

Haven't been able to turn up any concrete info on what could be causing this noise, but given the microwave is nearly 13 years old and is no longer made by GE, I think it's high time for a replacement.
Price wise, I'm hoping to keep it under $250 or so for an over the range model (don't have counter space for a microwave), nearby retailers include a Sears Outlet, a Conn's, a BestBuy the usual smattering of WalMarts, Targets Home Depots and the like, though ordering through Amazon is an option (though not one I'm anxious about when it comes to home appliances).

So, suggestions? Advice? Lend me you experience, H/A hivemind.

• ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned, there's not a lot of difference in microwaves, beyond the special buttons (add one minute, cook popcorn automatically, etc.) So, if there's one of those features that interests you, keep it in mind while you're looking. At $250, it looks like you've got plenty of options. Beyond that, since you're talking about an over-the-range model, you should measure your current microwave to make sure you get one that will fit in its place. Pay attention to the height of the microwave, because you don't want the new one to be significantly closer to the stovetop than the old one. There are building codes about the minimum distance in a lot of areas, but if you get a microwave that doesn't sit closer to the stovetop than the old one, you should be fine.

They're not too hard to install, but make sure that you set up the venting on the new microwave properly. Most of them have a fan that can be set up to vent in one of several different ways. Just set it up to vent like the old one.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you'll get a great microwave for 250.

basically just get a GE again... they're good.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    FYI, while they're not -too- difficult to install, you will want a second person to help as it's really tough to get it lined up with both the attachment clips on the bottom and the vent hole atop with just one set of eyes.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I paid for the OTR install after installing one myself. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    FYI, while they're not -too- difficult to install, you will want a second person to help as it's really tough to get it lined up with both the attachment clips on the bottom and the vent hole atop with just one set of eyes.
    Yeah, I've asked my parents to come over on Saturday to lend a hand with installing it.

Just wanted to ask here if there were any specific brands to avoid (TBH, I was kind of hoping for some microwave related horror stories), but I'll go shopping on Friday, see what's available.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nah man, microwaves are microwaves, there's really no way to fuck them up, AFAIK.

Pick the one you like the most because you're gonna have to look at it every day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    all you can do is pay for build quality

and if you're spending 200+ on a microwave, you're already in the top tier of build quality

again, GE... or any other major appliance maker

If you want another way to think about it, if they make a snazzy $3000 refrigerator, there's a good chance they are good at making microwaves too

so just look at the floor models of other appliances, see who is making them well, and then buy their microwave, because the manufacturing techniques are all similar

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    When I first moved out I bought the cheapest damn microwave I could as I wanted to save money.

It's still chugging along 6 years later.

Personally if it broke, there would be a good chance I'd try and spend that much again.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I would personally recommend getting one with a high wattage. Anything over 1000 is good. I think ours is 1200. The higher the wattage, the faster it's going to cook/defrost things.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Replacement microwave purchased and successfully installed (another GE). Paid parents for their assistance with lunch.
    Only minimal feelings of "Brave Little Toaster" guilt for throwing out the broken one.

Should be good to close the thread. Thanks for the input.