As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My 24 hrs comic. Large Dump!

XaviXavi Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
You guys might not be familiar with it, but the 24 Hour Comics Event is a challenge done across the world on a particular day. As you can imagine the whole idea is to draw a 24 page comic book in .. 24 hours. Al by yourself obviously. The local Comic Book shop will usually host the event and provide tables and food (if theyre cool)

For me, I had heard of this a long time ago but never thought myself capable of doing it. This year, a group of us from work figured wed try our luck, at least its more entertaining if youre gonna do it with friends, you know? The challenge started at 10 am on Saturday and ended today at 10 am, Sunday. I averaged about 45 minutes a page and holy shit am I tired. My hand and neck are completely numb, the longest breaks I took were 15 or so minutes and I barely ate.

But, I got done!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Xavi on

• Options
    VezVez Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    pretty damn good, I think. Suprised the quality didn't go right to the shitter in the wee hours. I like Sabin's expression when he's tossing the apple. The cross-hatching for the backgrounds was neat, and I especially like the frame where he's wrapping his hand.

Vez on
    Untitled-1-1.png
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow dude, just...wow. I could put those together if I had 24 days.

From a writer's standpoint, I'm assuming this is a pre-fab story you had kickin around in your head and this is the culminatation to a greater goal? Or was this also off the top of your head?

What about storyboards? Thought up ahead of time or play as you go?

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That was the best dump ever. I bet you feel 40 pounds lighter, and can fit in your old pants. The guy in in the third page, Sabin, his hand in his pocket doesn't look right, and also does he has four fingers cause that panel where he is holding the apple, a finger is missing, it might be obscured by the perspective, I don't know, but if something is obscured by the perspective, it doesn't matter if its drawn correctly, it still looks wierd.

I love the seen where the troll is falling from the sky and hits the ground a big BOOM kind of way, reminds me of Ninja Scroll the first episode. It looks awsome how the smoke is rushing off his face. The only real problem I can see is how you show action, or movment, some scenes its spot on, others I understand what happend it just doesn't looke like it has happend, one is where Sabin gets punced in the face, good, but you show right at contact. It would be nice to see him fly back a little, or if you still want that contact, show it at a different angle of his face.

But really dude. FUCKING AWSOME!

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm with Celestial...wow, great stuff. I definitely think my hands would have died around the tenth page or so.

If I absolutely had to critique something, it would have been the shot where the troll's foot is coming down on the main character's face. It just seems a little flat and out of place among so many other dynamic shots. Just my two cents on that, you'd be lucky to get that kind of work out of me in a week!

Edman on
  • Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Xavi wrote:

In the second panel . . . the little sign that says "DEATH!" Those little touches make me happy.

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    King_CobraKing_Cobra Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Impressive... MOST Impressive.

King_Cobra on
  • Options
    VezVez Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just wanted to add that there are a lot of great beats, and the pacing of the comic (for when you take into consideration that it is a 24 hour comic) is nearly unbelievably good.

Vez on
    Untitled-1-1.png
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm with the others. There's little drawing glitches all over (I'm sure you catch them, looking back) but for a project done in 24 hours? Not bad at all.

multimoog on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well there's certaintly something to be said for output/ production rate- that's admirable. Lord knows I allow scripts and preproduction work to sit for years before I actually slowly and painfully produce final product.

For having cranked it out so fast your story telling and layouts are very nice even when some tiny problems with the characters looks pop up. I think you could afford to add some backgrounds to the more sparse minimalist panels since the thing is over and done with but I certaintly hope to see more and good luck carrying on.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow, thats a lot of replies :d , lessee

Vez >>> thanks a lot! I was trying to be judicious and not work on pages in a sequence. First I did page 1, then jumped to page 12, then page 24. That way it made sure that I wouldnt get bored AND that the quality would be consistent

Celestial >>> I started thinking about the story a couple of hours before the event. The main two characters though, Ive drawn them before a bunch of times. By the time I started I knew what the beginning middle and end were, but the rest I just made up as I went

Pious >>> yep, youre right its too bad I had to ignore flaws like that in order to keep on an hourly schedle. Thanks for noticing though :) I also wasnt too happy with the punch secne, it lacked dynamics

edmangoodrich >>> again, I agree. I put that shot like that to give some comedic relief within the action, so im getting positive and negative comments because of it. Thanks for the input!

Mr. Inkswitch >>> those little touches make the insanity go away some :D

King Cobra >>> thanks!

multimoog >>> yeah, I think the guiys hair and jaw changes, on average, every 3 panels

Antibodies >>> well im not gonna touch these pages anymore per se, just to keep the integrity of the project BUT I am ging to redo this story with all the details I want to add (ie: BACKGROUNDS) Very glad to hear you liked it!

Again, thanks all for the great input!

Xavi on