As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weather forecast for tonight [Risk of Rain]

2»

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    On-kill effects apply to everyone like the Wisp in a bottle and Ceremonial Dagger, but when one person climbs up in levels due to damage items they do become the one carrying the group

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    We should get together for a PA mega run comprimised purely of Enforcers.

Hold the line.

That would be something, synchronized shield bash and stun nades.

Don't think you can pick the same character?

me and some other forums guys had a nice 4 player game going the other night.

I like dis game.

Too bad co-op breaks the achievements.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    You can pick the same character, have done it before with PA people and with another friend. Double Miner is interesting.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    We should get together for a PA mega run comprimised purely of Enforcers.

Hold the line.

That would be something, synchronized shield bash and stun nades.

Don't think you can pick the same character?

You definitely can! There doesn't appear to be a limit to it.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I've managed to unlock all of the characters now.

This game is Diablo on crack; you need to find items, and you need them now, or you die horribly. The murderclock is a pretty brilliant mechanic.

Monsoon is definitely more fun than normal just because of how frantic it gets. The enemies don't seem much worse except for the new minibosses, just more plentiful and you need to know the levels damn well.

Play multiplayer if you can. The characters you unlock by discovery don't work for the non-hosts but most other unlocks do.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    Monsoon is definitely more fun than normal just because of how frantic it gets. The enemies don't seem much worse except for the new minibosses, just more plentiful and you need to know the levels damn well.

I'm pretty sure blighted enemies don't even appear below Monsoon, and a hell of a lot more special little guys definitely appear

The kickstarter for this project promised mutators, like twice as many enemies with 30% less health, or only one enemy type for a stage, or when your health goes below a certain threshold your items get scrambled with different items. Looking forward to the crazy runs some of these things can provide.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah the blighted guys are what I consider new minibosses. They're not that bad really.

Mutators would be sexy.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I've been checking this game out for the last few days. It's pretty cool, but I have some issues with the power curve and the pacing.

Enemy health scales up so much faster than damage that eventually every fight just devolves into you kiting a pack back and forth for three straight minutes waiting for something to die. It's made even worse by the fact that the default Commando has awful damage output. By stage 3 his piercing shot is the only attack ever worth using again for the rest of the game. The Miner and Acrid do easily double or triple his damage. Of the classes I've unlocked so far, those two feel like the only ones who are equipped to actually play the game as it's designed (although the Huntress and Mercenary are supposedly good as well). Between the Commando, Enforcer, Bandit, Sniper, there are a ton of moves which are just not even hypothetically useful for the situations you're going to be in 99% of the time. Oh, so I can reset my cooldowns by finishing off an enemy with Light's Out? Well how the hell am I supposed to know which one of the 30 enemies that are packed into a three-tile radius are going to be hit by it, huh?

I also don't really like how you have to explore the level to find the teleporter. It's a complete waste of time to fight the enemies before triggering the boss, and without fighting the enemies you can't open any of the chests you find, so you spend two minutes running through an empty level doing nothing, do the boss wave, and then spend two minutes running through an empty level opening the chests before backtracking to the portal and leaving. What's the point? You might as well start the player at the teleporter and extend the invasion by 45 seconds or something.

It'll be interesting to see what the mutators turn out to be.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'd be with you on balance concerns but you really should be killing enemies on the way through a level. Powerups are essential to not get murdered.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Enemies can spawn so infrequently during the exploration phase that it's usually a waste of time to stand around by a chest waiting from them (the last level being a possible exception). Once in a while you'll randomly get a pack of weak-ish enemies big enough to be worth your time, but usually they're too sparse to matter. Killing a single enemy in the exploration phase takes about the same amount of time as killing 20 enemies in the survival phase for a lot of classes, after all. The boss wave itself will often give you enough money to get most of the items anyway.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    About half the classes are solo-viable and able to consistently do an endgame run without requiring lucky drops at the right times.
    The other half are designed for online play with a group, and do well in the situations you encounter there.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I beat monsoon solo for the second time. This time I used the sniper. I had a few decent items, but nothing that I thought was required for a sniper clear (no goat hoof, no reduce cooldown items, no meteor). It was crazy intense the whole time though.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I beat monsoon solo for the second time. This time I used the sniper. I had a few decent items, but nothing that I thought was required for a sniper clear (no goat hoof, no reduce cooldown items, no meteor). It was crazy intense the whole time though.

The sniper

Are you Jesus?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm having a hard time not playing the Engineer because good lord this class does not take any one's shit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My brother demoed the Huntress for me last time we played and now I need that class. Super powerful IMO.

Unfortunately I had startup issues out of the blue for some reason yesterday, and when I got it ironed out the sound wasn't working. :\

• Options
    I don't have her yet. I keep hearing she's pretty much top tier though. I need to get the Merc as well to round out my PokeRains.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Huntress is top tier because she can use all her skills while moving and they do decent damage/aoe. Some people swear by the Merc but I prefer the Miner I dunno.

• Options
    I tried the Miner but just kept getting blown up fast. Is there a trick to that class I'm not getting?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I greatly prefer the Merc to the Miner.

The dashstun is pretty amazing.

The trick to the miner seems to be abusing your ludicrous number of invulnerability frames.

Oats on
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I tried the Miner but just kept getting blown up fast. Is there a trick to that class I'm not getting?

The Miner is such a boss.

Your best skill is easily the jump explosion. Essentially the only time you are using crush is using a running jump and crushing in the air while still moving. Your two charges are basically use the moment they are up: charge in, then charge immediately back out.

That's how I use him. He's a bit of a ping pong ball that way. Explosions and swift movement all over the place.

I would love to hear how people are using the merc; still haven't finished rainstorm solo with him.

• Options
    What I did with the merc was dash, first skill, second skill, dash, first skill, second skill, dash, first skill, second skill, fourth skill. Don't remember their names but that's his general combo and it does give him a lot of invincibility frames but I'm still not that big a fan of him.

• Options
    What I did with the merc was dash, first skill, second skill, dash, first skill, second skill, dash, first skill, second skill, fourth skill. Don't remember their names but that's his general combo and it does give him a lot of invincibility frames but I'm still not that big a fan of him.

People are throwing in the stationary slash in this mess? That seems like suicide, but I'll give it a try.

• Options
    you'd think so but his second skill doesn't have invincibility frames either and it gives just enough time to keep his invincibility frame skills at a near constant up time.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

The Miner is such a boss.

Your best skill is easily the jump explosion. Essentially the only time you are using crush is using a running jump and crushing in the air while still moving. Your two charges are basically use the moment they are up: charge in, then charge immediately back out.

That's how I use him. He's a bit of a ping pong ball that way. Explosions and swift movement all over the place.

I would love to hear how people are using the merc; still haven't finished rainstorm solo with him.

Ah, ok. I was trying to play him a little too DMCish and mixed it up too much. I'll try that route out and see how it goes.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    you'd think so but his second skill doesn't have invincibility frames either and it gives just enough time to keep his invincibility frame skills at a near constant up time.

Exactly, this is the key with both the Miner and Merc. You need to spread out the use of your invincible skills so there is always one on short cooldown if you really need it. Personally, I like the Merc better. There is more room to combo your skills. Like @SkutSkut said, you can mix in normal attacks in the middle of dash against most enemies. Some enemies are fast enough that you can't do this, but you still can mix in the spin attack, or delay your dashes to spread them out a bit. Depending on the situation, you can also dash into a group, back, then use the third to dash away and create more room. If you get attack speed, you can start mixing in a regular attack with your jump + spin. Take this advice with a grain of salt though, I only have two solo Merc wins (regular and monsoon) and both times I had cooldown reduction items. Once you get one or two of those, you are pretty much invincible 90% of the time.

• Options
    I understand the concerns about the power curve as I shared them, but after playing a while a general pattern emerged of rushing to the teleporter while defeating whatever spawns along the way, buying whatever nearby chests are within reach after the enemy/boss rush are dealt with and getting out of the stage in less than 5 minutes. Until you reach the temple stage, you can actually stay there for a while and get pretty powerful grinding on the enemies there. Something about the experience scaling there makes you grow much faster than the other stages, where the crashed ship final stage tends to dump on the enemy HP and miniboss spawns

Commando is king of on-hit procs. Any attack that has a chance of going on hit is a huge bonus for how many shots he makes.

Enforcer was really weird before but is much better now. Stand next to a large clump of enemies corralled together with your grenade and unload on them with boosted firerate. Stuns and knockback work well with him due to unlimited pierce within his range and boosted firerate. On-hit procs are less reliable but much more devastating.

Bandit is weird and I agree Lights Out is not well designed for what game this is. His main attack though? Incredibly good you just want to mash that as much as possible

Sniper is weird and also doesn't play well with how this game is designed for solo play. But he holds a secret: You know how skills are % of an unknown damage value? Sniper has the highest one in the game. All items are more powerful through him, and all drones are boosted.

HAN-D is a better Enforcer, An unstoppable truck of pain

I still don't get the Mercenary, but apparently he becomes a superhero by the end with instant cooldowns allowing for unlimited flight.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Sniper is weird and also doesn't play well with how this game is designed for solo play. But he holds a secret: You know how skills are % of an unknown damage value? Sniper has the highest one in the game. All items are more powerful through him, and all drones are boosted.

Not only is that damage value the best, but it scales better than the other classes too. You should also note that most on hit items do damage based on the attack that procced them. The sniper won't proc them as often, but when he does, they will hit like trucks. The sniper also shares the same boosted movement speed as the melee classes. It's not much, but still helps.

Sniper Tips:
    1. You absolutely have to learn to jump + perfect reload... and I'm talking about getting the reload on the first pass. Once you learn this, you can actually do good damage as you move around the map. Basically, shoot an enemy, jump away + reload, turn and shoot again.
    2. Backflip + Steady aim is your basic combo. Never steady aim without a perfect reload. It helps to know the enemy attack patterns/speed, so you can get the most out of steady aim (even better if you know you can tank a hit or two before shooting). While you charge steady aim, you can send your spotter drone out. You can also steady aim as you fall (great on the water level), and use it on a jump pad.
    3. Know the maps. This is more important on the Sniper than any other character. If you get a large group on a small ledge and you don't have a use item to clear it, you are pretty screwed. You really need to know where these areas are and how to avoid spawning enemies on them during the survive timer.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    Got this game in the Steam summer sale. Playing co-op is nice, but getting enough items is a challenge

I haven't unlocked most characters, but the Bandit & Engineer are really fun

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite is the Huntress, though she's probably considered easy mode for a reason...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.