As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Audiosurf 2 Early Access] - A new free level daily!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
I can't believe I never played the original.
06.jpg
http://audiosurf2.com/
Ride your music.

Use your own music to create your own experience on a roller-coaster-like track.

The shape, the speed, and the mood of each ride is determined by the song you choose.

The game has a couple of amazing features that will make you want to play it at least once every day. The Song of the Day is a major one. I don't know how the devs worked out the licensing, but each day, one free song is made available for playing on in all game modes, and all those game modes have their own leaderboard where you can play for score globally or race the "score ghosts" of those with scores similar to yours. Sometimes, but not often, the Song of the Day is a stinker like Linkin Park or Nine Inch Nails, but this is rare.

This was yesterday's song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYA8dM8tzM
It turns out to be an incredibly difficult song because of the shift rhythm. The speed of the track is bound by rhythm, so this song's stage shifts in speed every second.

I took the liberty of loading this and it turns into a song of incredibly low difficulty.
This song's track was consistently fast, with lots of points on a straight line, because of the persistent rapid drumming. The consistent pace also meant the game had no waves. The track jiggles to the lead guitar.

The game mods and skins are expansive, and growing seemingly every week:
Mono and Mono Turbo: A modern version of the original "Classic Mode." Touch orbs for points, avoid spikes for penalties. A Classic Mode is available too. I cannot tell them apart mechanically at this time.
Wakeboard: A new mode where you are an avatar on a wakeboard. You jump and do stunts in the air for points, as well as collect orbs. Excellent for wavy songs.
Audioshump: Still under development, you control a ship that has to avoid obstacles. You can't shoot (yet).
Audiosprint: A parkour game where you must jump and slide to avoid obstacles.
Pusher: Like Mono, except the orbs are color coded, and as you collect them, you must make Bejeweled esque patterns to score points.

Discuss phat beats and the manner of which you ride them!!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey, we have an Audiosurf thread now! I haven't played all that much Audiosurf 2 since it's been in early access, but I played so much of the first game.

Minus the Bear's Menos el Oso is probably the most fun I've had with it. I think it's the percussiveness of the guitars and the sharpness of the drums that makes it translate well. The track bounces so much that it gets pretty hard to keep track of what's coming up.
    Poison the Well's You Come Before You and The Tropic Rot were also super fun to wakeboard, because they have such hard tonal shifts. So much air.
    Mars Volta also tends to make fun tracks that are complete nonsense due to the erratic rhythmic and tempo changes. I can't remember if I remembered to run Opeth's Still Life through the game. I have a feeling that would be a fun album. That or Blackwater Park.

• Options
    I forgot to add that while really hardcore Death Metal and Black Metal doesn't work well with Audiosurf 2, Iron Maiden worked out swimmingly.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I've found I love playing nu-metal and dubstep songs in the game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ugh, why are they shitting up the Song of the Day with Linkin Park and Evanescence....

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Because some people like them! Can't have a song a day and then only cater for one group's music tastes. Hopefully in an Audiosurf thread we're not going to descend into insulting someone else because they like different music to you.

Edit: Also, I liked the concept of the first game, and I liked importing music and seeing the tracks it created but I don't think I ever really understood what exactly you're meant to be doing. It might be me being stupid, but each ship seemed to have a completely different objective and I'm not sure I was ever really doing the right thing. Is there a simple guide out there anywhere for the first or second games?

TPSou on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    Because some people like them! Can't have a song a day and then only cater for one group's music tastes. Hopefully in an Audiosurf thread we're not going to descend into insulting someone else because they like different music to you.

Edit: Also, I liked the concept of the first game, and I liked importing music and seeing the tracks it created but I don't think I ever really understood what exactly you're meant to be doing. It might be me being stupid, but each ship seemed to have a completely different objective and I'm not sure I was ever really doing the right thing. Is there a simple guide out there anywhere for the first or second games?

Each ship WAS different, they were each different play styles. The main objective is to get the highest score you can per track of course, but how you did so was different. I don't feel like explaining all of the game modes, but there was always an in-game explanation for everything in both games. In the second game, for example, just hover your mouse over each mode and it'll give you a short explanation.

JtgVX0H.png