As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wifi Speed Woes

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
So, this is puzzling me a little bit and I'm wondering if any of you can point out what dumb thing I'm not thinking of.

I have a 100megabit internet connection. My router is an 802.11n dual-band 2.4ghz/5ghz Airport Extreme. In my house are 2 MacBook Pros connected via their 802.11ac built-in wifi, 1 Mac Mini connected via gigabit ethernet, and my desktop PC connected via a new Netgear A6200 wifi USB adapter (802.11ac).

Now, obviously all the wifi devices are connecting at 802.11n speeds because that's what my router is.

The MacBooks both, without fail, pull down right around the 100megabits/sec. Both on speedtest.net (95 - 110megabits/sec) and via big downloads (11 - 13 megabytes/sec on Steam). Always. Like, seriously, it's amazing how consistent Comcast is.

BUT, my desktop PC (Windows 8), in the SAME spot that the MacBook pulls down 100megabits/sec (which is about 20 feet from the router), will only get like 30megabits/sec. Speedtest.net is between 28 and 30, like clockwork. Steam downloads are almost always right at 3.5megabytes per second. Also like clockwork. Everything is almost exactly 30% of the speed of the MacBooks.

For reference, the Mac Mini also maxes out the internet connection via ethernet. 100megabits/sec, always, forever, etc.

So, what the hell is up with my Windows machine? Why is it lagging so far behind all my other machines? Am I missing some weird setting in Windows or something?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Weird, mine is doing the exact same thing with both wi-fi and wireless since the last Windows Update.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Are you using a USB 2.0 slot or lower? The theoretical max of USB 2 is 480 mbit/sec. In practice, though, it will probably hit you around 30-40 mbit/sec which would put you right in line with what you're noticing.

The other computers probably aren't using USB, and that would be the thing to eliminate to test if it's a PC/Hardware/Software issue. Try it with a wire and see if it speeds up.

Also front slots are notoriously worse performing in general, though, back slots can sometimes run into interference because they're behind desks and next to walls.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I am using USB 2.0. Unfortunately I can't run Ethernet. It's only 20 feet directly, but that runs through a wall and closet. It would be closer to 60+ feet of very obvious Ethernet cable placement to avoid drilling a hole, which I can't do in this apartment.

I actually tried front and rear USB ports and got the same results all around. Maybe I should return this dongle and pick up a USB 3.0 one instead.

• Options
    It probably won't help if it's USB 2 on the PC itself. I've never really had great luck with USB wifi though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    It probably won't help if it's USB 2 on the PC itself. I've never really had great luck with USB wifi though.

No, my PC has USB 3.0, but the wifi adapter I bought is only USB 2.0.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Too bad they won't let you put in a couple of wall plates and run a patch cable in between them and just leave it in place when you leave.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Well, I guess it was a USB2.0 issue. I just exchanged this wifi dongle for a USB3.0 one and immediately scored 115Mbps down on speedtest.net.

Why you so shitty, USB2.0?

minor incident on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well at least you could return the old one :)

• Options
    I'm just left wondering why anyone is making 802.11ac adapters that aren't USB3.0, mainly.

This seems kind of stupid.

• Options
    That's the thing, most people will just buy it because they see "wifi adapter" and assume that's what they need.