As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Still

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Still

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Petey512Petey512 Registered User new member
    :( Poor Seventeen.

I check these first thing in the morning before work. Now I'm gonna be depressed all day. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Well, I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

• Options
    iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    Well this does confirm that kids are sent to camp and not kidnapped? And dang, how dare Seventeen be happy and cheerful! What a horrible thing to put up with /end sarcasm.

• Options
    ObsidiasObsidias Registered User new member
    Seventeen was not in a good environment but now she has friends that play with her and people that care for her. I hope Seventeen realizes how lucky she is to have been sent to camp.

• Options
    currypcurryp Registered User regular
    Gloomy, kind of "lord of the flies" like...

• Options
    HUNRoninHUNRonin Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

HUNRonin on
  • Options
    commonpersoncommonperson Registered User regular
    Ummm wow... that is heavy. I've been following this comic for a while (silently) and have to say your control of the craft and story is masterful. Building to this point, this really is a kinfe to the gut. Thanks for your tremendous work.

• Options
    Zorlock DarksoulZorlock Darksoul Registered User regular
    I think I see where this is going…

More importantly, I think I see the cat! Maybe. It's hard to tell.

• Options
    PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    You know, for Seventeen, I think Camp Weedonwantcha is a step up. I mean, it looks like she is happier than in Hillbilly Moonshine hell.

• Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Question is can Malachi find the cat...

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Please Katie, stop with the feels my heart can't take it much more :p.

Seriously though, another great comic, Seventeen's arc is coming along very well.

Also, the kittie is pretty hard to track down but as with all the best kitties once you've seen it, you'll wonder how it took you so long.

• Options
    MadJackMadJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    omg. This is really close to setting up the idea that all the kids are dead.

MadJack on
    forumsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeitgeistHeistZeitgeistHeist Registered User regular
    Been a lurker here since the beginning, and I just wanted to pop out for a second to say that this comic is among my favorite stops along Internet Street, and I often save it for last. Like a good dessert. Or something.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us, Katie. It's good stuff.

• Options
    DanreivDanreiv Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    So, booze making hillbillies kids ? And here I was, thinking she was hiding in some sort of heavy milk container last comic...

Wonder what the parents look like, if they have any...

Danreiv on
  • Options
    dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    So I assume the older kids in the flashback were making a plan to leave the camp, and left 17 behind...

• Options
    brianlikestacosbrianlikestacos Registered User new member
    "Still", as in "distillery". Nice.

• Options
    DontDont Registered User regular
    @Dejavu: That's an interpretation, beside the obvious "bad parents" one. Makes you wonder...

• Options
    XMinusOneXMinusOne Registered User regular
    I'm hearin' banjo music.

Awww, a Peeping Tom kitteh.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    We see Seventeen peeking at her parents planning to abandon her, but not into her heart as she remembers. That's a special kind of storytelling. Please, do go on.

• Options
    edblesedbles Registered User new member
    I believe these are older siblings. She refers to the blond female in the white dress as Polly in the first scene of the flashback.

• Options
    mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    this is like the time i
    took peyote and
    lived with the tree people that worshiped the sky. they didn't like me. the grass was refreshing though

mushy on
  • Options
    flamesonfireflamesonfire Registered User new member
    So here's a crazy thought: assuming these are Seventeen's siblings, what if the reason her name is Seventeen is because she's the seventeenth kid and they just called her Seventeen instead of her real name and so she thinks her name is Seventeen.

• Options
    MartynMartyn Registered User regular
    Anybody else notice that the barrel she's in has jars stacked on top of it? She's been in there a long time.

I wonder where the parents are in this extended family (this isn't the camp). Or if there are any at all other than the oldest siblings.

• Options
    generaputinholegeneraputinhole Registered User regular
    FLAMESONFIRE / 3:00PM
    So here's a crazy thought: assuming these are Seventeen's siblings, what if the reason her name is Seventeen is because she's the seventeenth kid and they just called her Seventeen instead of her real name and so she thinks her name is Seventeen.

so, sort of like the Peanuts character named 5? http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/555_95472

• Options
    DanreivDanreiv Registered User new member
    Oh and the pannel 2. That poor girl is terrified of being happy.

Ms Rice are you Nyarlathotep ?

• Options
    ondonasandondonasand Registered User regular
    Seventeen's older brother is working on a moonshine still. This is some dark stuff.

• Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Martyn wrote: »
    Anybody else notice that the barrel she's in has jars stacked on top of it? She's been in there a long time.

Nope. Seventeen just squeezed in through the bunghole.

• Options
    Shark.FighterShark.Fighter Registered User regular
    the only thing i don't get is.. in panel 3, why is the older brother trying to strangle a rock/wagging a rock while staring at it intently?

• Options
    ltjhpx17ltjhpx17 Registered User new member
    Well, guess we know why she's called Seventeen now.

• Options
    SkaftholuSkaftholu Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    Man this is getting better by the day. Can't wait for the next one.

Skaftholu on
  • Options
    KiipoKiipo Registered User new member
    Anyone else think this camp is the Afterlife for kids? That REALLY adds a dark element to this flashback scene. Like Seventeen was unwittingly eavesdropping on a plot to murder her.

• Options
    ZiggyZ123ZiggyZ123 Registered User new member
    Panel 1... Polly's got the shakes and yesterday's comic has kids smoking... THEY'RE ALL STRUNG OUT! GRUMPY AND HUNGOVER AND JONESING HENCE THEY DON'T LIKE SEVENTEEN WHO IS HEALTHY WITH THE SUN SHINING OUT HER REAR!

• Options
    @ziggyz123

Now you mention it... They do all look a bit like Skag heads... Not sure where this arc is going, but I don't think it's going to end happily.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    @ziggyz123

Now you mention it... They do all look a bit like Skag heads... Not sure where this arc is going, but I don't think it's going to end happily.

I think adorable Seventeen ending up anywhere but with those people is a happy ending. Hopefully her realizing that and that she has friends who actually care about her in Malachi and Brian is how the arc ends. Katie has been hitting us in the feels lately, but hopefully she doesn't George RR Martin us. "Oh you really care about this character? Too bad..."

• Options
    edited June 2014
    @lostninja True this arc will ultimatly end with Seventreen going to Camp, where she meets Brian and Malachi, so that's a good thing...

It's HOW she ends up there that I think is going to be the not too happy part.

Talyn Rahl on
  • Options
    vonKaiservonKaiser Registered User new member
    Now the hog feed makes sense. Buying a bunch of that won't raise as many eyebrows with the law as opposed t buying straight corn

• Options
    Dennis DriscollDennis Driscoll Registered User regular
    heavy

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    I am not sure why people are jumping to the idea that she gets killed; I'm pretty sure that most murderers don't claim that their victims will be 'better' dead than alive when those victims are happy, cheerful, children! I think this is the origin story of how she ends up at the camp; maybe it is located geographically close to where these feral moonshine brewing children live.

• Options
    piter50piter50 Registered User regular
    Kitty is looking out

• Options
    piter50piter50 Registered User regular
    Kitty is looking out