As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Videos and Animations with One Long Continuous Zoom

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all. I'm trying to find references for videos that use one long continuous dolly shot, or feature one prominently. Some good examples are

I'd hugely appreciate any suggestions. Thanks guys!

Flay on

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    just search for dolly counterzoom and you'll see a bunch of examples.
    One of the most classic is

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the help, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. It should be a bit clearer now that I've linked the examples in the OP.

Flay on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The opening of the movie Contact may be what you're looking for, and I thought I remembered The West Wing being known for that sort of thing but I've never watched it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I can't remember any specifically like those examples off the top of my head, but I know of some really long layered tracking shots videos?

I think they're both Michael Gondry videos, actually?

FAKEDIT: I just checked and yeah, they're both him. He's done a LOT of my favourite music videos, actually...

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    The other thing is that many shots that people think are dolly shots are actually steadicam.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone! Those will be a big help today.

Altough on't let me stop anyone who has more suggestions.

• LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Children of Men has some very impressive continuous shots

Brad R. Torgersen says:

Librarian,

Go read what I said about not arguing with third graders.
    tynicDonovan Puppyfucker
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The opening to Touch of Evil the Orson welles movie

techncially a crane shot