As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No Topic Reply Notifications?

RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
I'm not getting any topic reply notifications any more, despite watching several threads. Is it anything to do with the fact that I'm using a Hotmail address? Posts aren't heading into the Bulk Mail folder, so it isn't that...

Any ideas? It just started happening; I never even altered my account settings.

Rohaq on

• Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    I don't think Hotmail would do that, because whenever I accidently clicked "Watch Topic" I'd always get replies to mine.

Obbi on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2004
    This would be a perfect example of reducing server overhead -- removing the 'Watch This Topic' function.

I've always thought it was funny that people had to get email reminders about which thread they posted in. Each time someone responds, the server has to send out an email. With the userbase and vast amount of threads, the server has to be sending out hundreds of emails per hour. Disabling this should reduce some overhead. Unless, of course, very few people use it, in which case it should be eliminated anyway.

;)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I experienced something like this a few weeks ago. Many responses were posted with no emails sent. After I clicked on 'stop watching topic', I got like 30 emails all at once.

the wook on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Its something Ive thought about removing a lot, but I could not do it without giving people some other form of notification \ syndication. Looking at some logs, it appears that a few of the mail servers died. It will be up eventually :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    What about the 'Personal Sticky' option that someone brought up earlier? I think that's a good idea and would be much less strain on the server.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I think the egosearch at the Forum Index takes care of it all.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Personal Sticky was Ramius' idea. I have the idea sketched out on paper and the pseudo code written all I need to do now is write the little bugger :P

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Personal Sticky was Ramius' idea. I have the idea sketched out on paper and the pseudo code written all I need to do now is write the little bugger :P

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ramius' idea. I'm 99% sure a newcomer to the forums suggested it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ramius' idea. I'm 99% sure a newcomer to the forums suggested it.

Yeah, a newcomer did suggest it, but Ramius had the idea a while ago.

But I'm only 80% sure on that one.

I never understood how people could translate their sure-ity into percentages.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Obbi wrote:

Yeah, a newcomer did suggest it, but Ramius had the idea a while ago.

But I'm only 80% sure on that one.

I never understood how people could translate their sure-ity into percentages.

I'm 83% sure you have to be at least 71% certain of at least 92% accuracy.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2004
    i think i created it, and people just stole my thoughts.
    i wouldn't suggest such a thing myself

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Hmm, I wouldn't mind a kind of 'subscribed thread' page; a big list of the topics I'm watching, or perhaps also one email sent every 24 hours to tell you what topic activity there's been, with a list of links to the newest posts in the topics we've subscribed to; it'd be a lot less strenuous on the bandwidth and email servers.

Hmm, would it be possible to make an RSS feed of topic reply notifications? Would this take more or less bandwidth? I'd certainly be interested.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    An RSS feed is something I have looked into for a long time :wink: I just need to muse over it some more.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Still no joy with the topic reply notifications. Could ya whip the email server admins a little harder? ;)

An RSS feed would seriously interest me, as well as posibly a few others, especially if it could be integrated into the PA Notification Tool RSS program.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    RSS is RSS :P

The change would be on your end. Just adding another stream. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    RSS is RSS :P

The change would be on your end. Just adding another stream. :wink:
    PAINT supports multiple RSS feeds?

Excellent! :D

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Just an update:
    Still no notifications :(

Rohaq on
  • Options
    GnuGnu Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Yeah, it's a bit of a drag. The forums fill up so quickly, and as someone who tends to not post more than a few times a week, it's a bit of a pain trying to keep up with what I posted where. I wouldn't mind an RSS feed or forum feature that tracked it for me in lieu of email notifications if load becomes an issue. In the meantime, it's a big hassle trying to keep track of topics that were replied to, even through checking my profile.

Gnu on
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2004
    It's probably your hotmail settings.

edit: Although it might've been disabled because of a technical problem. I can't remember now.

denihilist on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    It's a technical issue Deni. I don't know if it's disabled on the board, but I suspect it's just that the SMTP server is down again.

Alpha's probably already bitched at homelan about it.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    It's a technical issue Deni. I don't know if it's disabled on the board, but I suspect it's just that the SMTP server is down again.

Alpha's probably already bitched at homelan about it.

The SMTP server being down would explain manual activations being up.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I disabled user registration and Ill send HomeLAN another email.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    test

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    test

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Hmmm. I switched some settings, again trying to consolidate all of our connections to one server. We will see how it goes.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Thanks for reactivating me, for ome reason, my brain didn't kick in to think that I couldn't get the reactivation email if I changed my email addy ;)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    bugbreadbugbread Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I'm not getting them either, FYI. I personally think the personal sticky idea (like SWG forums have/had, in case anyone has used them) is the least processor intensive, most efficient way. I don't use my email notification to tell me when a reply has been posted as much as which threads I'm keeping an eye on. A personal sticky would take care of that mightily well, and be nice both to SA's mail servers and my own mail server :D

bugbread on
    Thanks a lot, homophobic backwards selfish idiotic warmongering busybody bible-thumping asshole hicks of America.
  • Options
    GnuGnu Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I second that. Actually, at this point, I'm not too picky, because the egosearch is getting to be a pain to manage.

Gnu on
  • Options
    boddahboddah Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    it's happenedinininggin too meee ALLL TTEIHEIH TIMmeEE ALPHA

ITT SUXXXX

boddah on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Yeah I made a yahoo account trying to solve this problem but no dice.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    The mail server is down. There is nothing I can do.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004

set it to the one you use for your isp, with your username and password. then test it.

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    BesigedB wrote:
    set it to the one you use for your isp, with your username and password. then test it.
    I like my ISP. Routing all of penny-arcade's mail traffic through my ISP's mail server using my username and password is a fast way to get demoted to 56k :wink: There are things I could do, but I refuse to as this is something HomeLAN need to fix.

EDIT : For security reasons, I will not be running mail to an off site server. It just makes sense to keep everything local.

Älphämönkëy on