As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Design a World - IC World Building

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    I think the shadow creatures are supposed to be on 6 legs.

I could be wrong.

If the shadow creatures were my creatures...then...one walks on 12 hands, one walks on 5 pincer like legs (think like...shorter spider legs ending in really sharp points) and one hobbles along on one foot...

I dont think that is a nose so much as a blood red eye :shock:
    They were my creatures. :D Although I'm still nailing down the design. I need to make the thrid set of limbs more prominent, so it gives more indication of their 6 limbed heritage.

Ah oh yes! Your guys. Sorry, with how fast this thread was moving at some points, everything has run together mentally for me.

Is that thing that looks like a wing without the skin their third limb set? Because, I think thats a pretty cool idea. If you made it a little larger, like you were thinking, and situated the joint so it looked as though it could lash out over the creatures shoulder and stab someone, I think you would have a pretty intimidating/functional looking limb.

Not sure if you want that limbs function to be combative in nature though :D

Inquisitor on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Injecting some life in this thread. If we do make the move to a seperate threads, I'll cut and paste this post. If I'm stomping on any toes, let me know.

Above him was a verdant field, covered in a field of flowers. They covered the spectrum of colors, (he wasn't satisifed with just one uniform color), and yielded a pollen with a certain desirable attribute. In the center of the field, stood a single, lone tree. Not a leaf graced it's dead branches.

Below him, the cerulean sky was clear and stretched on for infinity.

Sha'mus, the Lord of Sleep and Dreams, sat in thought. His earthly realm, directly connected to the very plane where all dreams were born, constantly shifted around him. The sky beneath him quickly filled with dark clouds, the rain rising upward to strike the field above.

The gifts of the gods were still being given, his own long since placed upon the sleeping races. He could sense their burgedoning dreams, a step above the dreams created by the beasts that walked, swam, and flew the Scale.

The Corfas, he felt strongest. They were nearest to Awakening, and according to his brother Gods, would be first to build. Sha'mus had reflected the Scale's nature; raw, primal, and concerned only with his survival. But in the Corfas, he saw potential.

He crept upon their dreams, flexing his considerable strength of power. His brothers were more concerned with Salt, and the curses that constantly left his stone-encrusted lips. Quietly, he began to shape their dreams.

The Corfas would one day wake. Perhaps it would be days, or centuries. But they would awake to the world, with the instinct to build, create, and to survive. The Gods had given them gifts. To a select few, Sha'mus gave faith; faith directed to himself. In these chosen, he shared a vision; the Gods had created the scale, had created the creatures that walked it, and created the Corfas themselves. In time, one would rise to claim the race as their own, to guide in the future.But all of this, the Scale itself, and all life within it, including the Gods, were all the dream of Sha'mus, The Sleeping God.

The Corfas would rise, and among them, these Chosen would spread a legend. The legend would become a religion, one of many among the Corfas. But to a sect of Corfas, all were subservient to Sha'mus.

Shamus on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Idealogical differences, religious war ahoy!
    If Rose doesn't turn up within a day or so, I'll go ahead and declare his creatures awake so we can carry on.

Aroused Bull on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Would anyone who's been keeping up completely mind updating the wiki entries for the races to cover the gifts of each?

Salt's spite and hatred should be listed as a gift not a curse. :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    Would anyone who's been keeping up completely mind updating the wiki entries for the races to cover the gifts of each?

Well, for the Riisaan, since they are going to be my major focus soon... I compiled what I think is a comprehensive list of the god's gifts to them...

If I missed one or got one wrong, please let me know, as I will soon update the wiki with this info:

From Karlimat: The gift of exhiliration

From Ustanomiko: The gift to be able to read the stars, and the desire to explore and map their surroundings.

From Zil: The gift for the desire of Law and Order.

From Rank: The gift of the ability to see chaos and imbalanace. Along with the desire to build cities and great houses of worship.

From Cosmic: The gift of being an eloquent people with a language of great beauty and with a great number of words.

From Scooter: The gift of speed (dovetails nicely with the gift of exhiliration in my opinion)

From Seebor: The gift of venemous spines on their palms.

And from Anonymous: The gift of appreciating life.

Inquisitor on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Idealogical differences, religious war ahoy!
    If Rose doesn't turn up within a day or so, I'll go ahead and declare his creatures awake so we can carry on.
    I'm inclined to awake them myself, but I was waiting for all the gods to have a say... doesn't seem like some of them are going to show, though...

Brothers! It is Time! The Awakened must rise to take their appointed places amidst the World we have Created! The three shall awaken in their places at the very moment the next period of light begins!

The Dragonkind will however remain in their hidden places to guard the treasures entrusted to them and await the full blossoming of the others before making their presence known. In anticipation of that time, I have placed a deep ancestral knowledge in the minds of the Awakened, that they will each know the Dragonkind when they meet...

Everyone wakes up at dawn tomorrow (Scale time). Dragons stay away from the other three until they have established themselves. Everyone will recognise the Dragonkind for what they are though the memory will be subconcious until then (it might turn up in the art&writings of the Awakened before then though...)

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:

Well, for the Riisaan, since they are going to be my major focus soon... I compiled what I think is a comprehensive list of the god's gifts to them...

If I missed one or got one wrong, please let me know, as I will soon update the wiki with this info:

From Ustanomiko: The gift to be able to read the stars, and the desire to explore and map their surroundings.

From Rank: The gift of the ability to see chaos and imbalanace. Along with the desire to build cities and great houses of worship.

From Cosmic: The gift of being an eloquent people with a language of great beauty and with a great number of words.

From Scooter: The gift of speed (dovetails nicely with the gift of exhiliration in my opinion)

Also, I gave them the "gift" of being watched over by the Clerics of Order, which are basically big centaur-shaped golems animated by the will of the God of Order. They are sort of the protectors of the flock, if you will.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2006
    The Corfas will be the first to reach civilisation, they are competitive, they are both inclined to both law-making and crafting of items, they are in wonder of the stars and name constellations, they are prone to spite and hatred and warfare but every generation a individual charismatic enough to unite them is born (but does not necessarily achieve this aim), they have innate knowledge of bush fruits, they speak a language of few words each of which carries much meaning, they have excellent balance and are good at finding rocky footholds, they spit acid, they have great fortitude and every generation their firstborn are attacked by the Children of the Earth, pending some as yet undetermined limitation. They live in the highlands and mountains.

The Riisaan live in the plains, they desire order and laws and to build great cities and temples, they are watched over by the Clerics, they enjoy exhiliration, they appreciate life to the fullest, they can see chaos and imbalance, they can naturally read the stars and desire to explore and map their surroundings, they are eloquent, they have venemous spines located near their palms and they are very fast.

The Endruus live in the forests and trees, they have wonder of the world around them, they have innate skill in crafting and single-minded determination when doing so, they speak a tongue that no other race may learn, they can hear the music of the winds and stay in harmony with it, they have empathy with Scooter's Swiftpads, they have knowledge of the root of plagues and a desire to cure them, they are sensitive to spirits.

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2006
    Now how are we going to transition into the Mortal stuff?

Because I'm looking forward to the First Disciple of Salt.

INeedNoSalt on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd really like to play a Riisaan Elder of some kind, discerning information about their world and telling stories or some such. How are you guys going to go about doing that?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Upon Soup hearing Lord Rose's proclimation, he remembered that he had not given the other two races any gifts. Remembering the Riisaan first, he decided to give his gifts to them.

To them, he hurriedly gave Plains foods. They would cover a vast expanse of land, giving them abundant food. However, Soup worried that they would not have remembered how to feed their plants.

Soup on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [Guys, is it too late for me to take the egg of the fish and be the god of the forests?]

Projeck on
    edited October 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    [Guys, is it too late for me to take the egg of the fish and be the god of the forests?]

We are the egg(s) of the Fish. The Divine Caviar.

There's nothing left of the fish to take; you're pretty much left with begging a domain away from one of the other gods (or coming from somewhere other than the fish.)

Altnerately, take up a role within the mortal civilizations.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Within the hearts of the Corfas, a stirring arose. Deep within the the realm of the divine, something coalesced.

Salvation, God of the Corfas, had been born.

More when I'm not studying my ass off.

Salvation122 on
    edited October 2006
    Can I, take the fishes fesces?

Projeck on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:

Also, I gave them the "gift" of being watched over by the Clerics of Order, which are basically big centaur-shaped golems animated by the will of the God of Order. They are sort of the protectors of the flock, if you will.

I gave everybody the capacity for diplomacy.

And Sombrero damnit!

As for the proposed change to Mortal Affairs. I suggest that Red Berry Blue changes the title of the thread and the first post to reflect the change to the mortal world, and make some kind of huge, badass summary post, or at least link to the wiki. This mid-post should use lots of big letters, and maybe eye-catching color. Some cheezy 90s internet gifs if you are down with that.

Anthrax! Please. on
    edited October 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    Can I, take the fishes fesces?

It's been made pretty clear that there's nothing left of the fish. >>

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    Ok well, I'll take nothing.

And with that, Helu, the God of all Forest was born, from which the great seed of the Mankiattus tree derived, whom bore the great tree race of the Manku.

Projeck on
  • robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey! They're awake!

I think Faceless Hope is moving out of being an active agent and into being some force that supports those in need. So those mortals that need help/succor should call unto me/Hope (PM) so I can respond and see them through the darktimes.

I think this is really fun. I even broke out my Aria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria:_Canticle_of_the_Monomyth) books from Back In The Day. I'm looking forward to the next round once we all have got a feel for things!

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    And with that, Helu, the God of all Forest was born, from which the great seed of the Mankiattus tree derived, whom bore the great tree race of the Manku.
    Dude, AEther already took the nothing that was left! You can't take it again. And you really can't have my forests by doing so either. Did you even think of finding out who to ask first?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2006
    All the major domains have been taken: why not just find a preexisting god, and ask them for a piece of their domain? Most people here will be happy to oblige you. Alternatively, you can wait and play a mortal or semi-mortal. Or you can become the Endruus' patron god - the Endruus are a forest race, so that would be close to your original pick (although we're not really sure what the patron gods do yet).
    At this point we're really trying to transisition to building the mortal civilisations - the physical world is mostly built already, so a lot of the deities are out of a job. How are we going to do this? Will we all take up mortal heroes, and outlay their exploits in biblical fashion, each responding to the other where necessary? Will the gods continue to affect the world other than through their followers and creatures - we could abandon them completely and only invoke them in third person in the stories of the heroes. Or, we could create a new thread and play mortals in that one while keeping this one open for divine actions. We could not play mortals at all, but have the gods choose who will become great. What shall we do?

Aroused Bull on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm thinking Scooter may choose a champion each generation from each race (except maybe the Corfas, they ain't sexy enough) to be the fastest of their race. It won't be in the random style of the gifts, he'll wander around hanging out in bars (maybe doing tricks for his drinks :wink: ) and when he meets someone he likes, boom, Champion.

Scooter on
    edited October 2006
    I personally feel that they god's should still play an active roll in the world during the beginnings of the races awakening. But, as time progressing their influence should wane, coming out more and more rarely untill they become more like religion today. Only with more tangible results for clerics etc. And maybe for the most extreme of things a god may intervene. But it should be an amazing occurence that will be talked about for ages.

My ideas for the patron deities, myself included, would be a creature of the race that is semi-divine. All of the gods gifts would be exemplified in this particular creature, and the will of the gods for the race would be his will. Of course, he would have some personality of his own. But, being semi-divine, I can see them being the obvious choice for being the races first leader. It will be the patron deities job to transfer their knowledge and gifts to the populace. Though their lives may be a little longer due to their semi-divine nature, they will die, either through war or old age. And then other leaders will crop up and factions will form etc...

Basically, I see the patron deities as a way to kick start our races into a level of cultural and social development that is fun so we all aren't stuck with a race grunting at eachother and trying to figure out how to build a spear before everyone else.

Inquisitor on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Project37 wrote:
    Dude, AEther already took the nothing that was left! You can't take it again. And you really can't have my forests by doing so either. Did you even think of finding out who to ask first?

Reading the opening post and the wiki history would have helped, too...
    But he can reasonably ask for a minor domain to lord over (which I guess would make him a Demigod, if we've established that definition as children of the Great Fish not bearing a creation pice of the fish).

Anyhows, I agree with the sentiment that the transition from godly creation to mortal activities should be gradual, with gods still granting minor knowledge and artifacts onto their favored populace, while alternatively (or at the same time) playing out the mortal side of events. Mainly just keep adding new history, culture, and characters to these early stages and fleshing the race out as something more than a bit description.

For example, I'm thinking of starting my addition to the Corfas eventually by creating a religious order, the Taloric Monastery. It'd be a whole group of major, minor and non-characters dedicated to astrology and meditation, at the same time I'd provide the race some interraction with Utsan's Angels through the order. For the Riisaans I'll stick with a heroic character and use him to think up some influential developments to make to the race's innovations or factions.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited October 2006
    Hah, I have seemed to have messed up once again, hmm. sorry about that, I read the OP and skimmed the wiki, just didn't see anything on forests.
    Now that I think about it, I wouldn't have much time for this considering school and the such, so I probally shouldn't particapate anyway.

Projeck on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You know, someone should really play a Riisaan or an Endruus in my future game. Chronicle them from both sides, past and future.

Also, would it be possible for me to take a minor demigod of the Riisaan or Endruus? Be like a small patron god who walks the land with the races to influence them, in one small form like War or such? Or to develop a certain faction of them? I am kinda confused how you guys are going to play the mortals...

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited October 2006
    You know, as much as I might sound like a dick for it, there are three races and like a bazillion gods. I don't really like the idea of patron deities for the races at all.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    We need to figure out how to play mortal history before we can know what to do with the patron gods. As Inquisitor said, they could be literal demigods, in the Greek sense - mortal heroes with knowledge granted to them by the gods. In that way they'd be temporary, to allow other heroes etc to rise up after them, and they wouldn't override the existing gods at all (as Salt says, we have a high god/mortal ratio anyway).
    Talon: If we end up having patron gods in whatever sense, the Endruus still don't have one.

Aroused Bull on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In my mind, wouldn't it make sense that as the ages past, the starting races would evolve? Maybe from the Corfas, two new races would branch off, displaying traits that are desirable to that race's survival. Meanwhile the Corfas could still be kickin', or could be an extinct race, lost to time and what-not.

Agree with Salt. I dislike the idea of patron gods of the three races. Perhaps the race could favor one over the other, but I rather leave it so no one single being, no matter how powerful, can claim the races.

Shamus on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And Sombrero damnit!

What'd I do?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And Sombrero damnit!

What'd I do?

A few pages back, asked you for a deal. I was only disappointed by your tardiness. <3 u Sombrero

Anthrax! Please. on
    edited October 2006
    Man, this isn't moving. :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, is this going to be an actual game with its own mechanics, or will it just use mechanics from other games? Or will it just be a role-playing game?

Soup on
    edited October 2006
    Man, this isn't moving. :(

I don't really know what I should be doing at this point.

Scooter on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Makath, a newly emerged diety from the deepest part of the Divine Caviar, begins asking each god for a small piece of their power, to create a place where all spheres intermix, and from which anyone with the proper training could take energies from this place and bend them to his or her will.

(Hey, no one ever said that this was closed. :P)

MechMantis on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey, I'd really like to get in on this. Mebbe I can be a child of the earth? Hm? Mebbe a (blank)? I really don't know if I'd enjoy being a demi-god or what for the simple idea that we already have such a large pantheon.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    edited October 2006
    Yea, I think at this point we're looking for mortal champions and demigods, not new full gods.

I'm not sure what Makath does, either...we have a magic god.

Scooter on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    *Flips coin*
    Ok, I am the Demi-god of...
    *Flips again*
    Sleep. So, Sham'us can I be you demi-god baby? Can I take the nightmare or fear? Something fun to screw around with like that?

EDIT: Looking back on that post maybe I should do something with fate heh. We'll see who answers first!

EDIT2: Wait, is the god of Fate here anymore?

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Makath thinks:

Magic==pure, raw energy.

Pure, raw energy+death=necromancy.

His idea=/=necromancy.

His idea==For lack of a better word, geomancy, that is, control of elements.

(Fear my fuzzy math skills! [The current god of magic is also the god of death+greed.])

MechMantis on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Um, yeah, we *definitely* need to move to the early mortal phase. RBB or someone needs to go ahead and blow the horn of awakening and just make the damn announcement already, before the thread completely grinds to a halt. Several contributors have made suggestions on transitioning and creating characters, and this whole time there really hasn't been any discontent with it (except for singular 'racial patron deities', but even that has been argued against, myself included).

Already we're standing still and getting our toes stepped on by new people trying to get in on the old stage of the project.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif