As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 07

• HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DJBreslin wrote:
    Well, let me ask this: What are the dates?

I'm assuming it's Aug 24-26, but is there any chance it's Aug 31 - Sep 2?

It's always the last weekend of Aug.

Highfire on
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Unless something goes horribly wrong between now and '08 there will be.

And if it's still according to plan, there will be TWO in '08...

Those plans are not to be discussed.

Those plans have been on the internet for two years, I think I can discuss them.

It's not like I know more than that. And if I did, I wouldn't say any than what's already been said.

If the East Coast PAX actually happens in 08, you can bet on me being there.

If not, then my wife and I are considering PAX 08 as our next appearance. Hopefully her mom won't be in the hospital next time. That kind of ruined our enjoyment of the whole weekend.

Pkmoutl on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Highfire wrote:
    DJBreslin wrote:

Right, but 2007 will be the first time in PAX history that the last weekend in August is partial, hence my question. I'm betting it'll be the last full weekend in August, as you imply, but I'm just asking for confirmation.

DJBreslin on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    DJBreslin wrote:
    Highfire wrote:
    DJBreslin wrote:

Right, but 2007 will be the first time in PAX history that the last weekend in August is partial, hence my question. I'm betting it'll be the last full weekend in August, as you imply, but I'm just asking for confirmation.

I would assume it's the 24th-26th, as it's always been on or right next to the 25th the previous years.

And I wouldn't call the 31st to the 2nd as the 'last weekend' of August, really. I mean...it's only got one day from August and that'd be the Friday...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Unless something goes horribly wrong between now and '08 there will be.

And if it's still according to plan, there will be TWO in '08...

Those plans are not to be discussed.

Those plans have been on the internet for two years, I think I can discuss them.

It's not like I know more than that. And if I did, I wouldn't say any than what's already been said.

I know you dont know more than that :P

Also that *IDEA* has been on the internet, just from an interview with khoo. Im pretty sure everyone will be concentrating on 2007 after childsplay.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Samyel wrote:
    I'm coming, and I'm dragging everyone one I can with me. Lord knows we need to increase the age 25-40 demographic.

This also adds people, for the Western Canada Supertrip I've been suckered into organizing.

b0wser on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    b0wser wrote:
    Samyel wrote:
    I'm coming, and I'm dragging everyone one I can with me. Lord knows we need to increase the age 25-40 demographic.

This also adds people, for the Western Canada Supertrip I've been suckered into organizing.

That, good sir, could be a very cool thing. I might be living on Vancouver Island by then (or god forbid, Calgary) but I'm sure there'd be at least a car load or three of people coming down from the interior.

At the very least, there were three of us Kamloopsians at PAX this year.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Samyel wrote:
    That, good sir, could be a very cool thing. I might be living on Vancouver Island by then (or god forbid, Calgary) but I'm sure there'd be at least a car load or three of people coming down from the interior.

At the very least, there were three of us Kamloopsians at PAX this year.
    I know of a ton of people from Vancouver Island who do, or want to come to PAX. Filling up your car won't be an issue.

Waz on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    Somebody (b0wser) needs to start the West Canadian Supertrip 2007 thread and have it stickied

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2006
    So it would run from what... Prince George and all point south? To hit everything along the way, it might take two or three days. I know PG is about eight hours out of Kamloops, and Kamloops is about five hours from Vancouver. Add in all the stops along the way, plus getting across the border and into Seattle--probably a nice three day trip. Or a really, really, shitty 24-hour marathon drive.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited September 2006
    Samyel wrote:
    So it would run from what... Prince George and all point south? To hit everything along the way, it might take two or three days. I know PG is about eight hours out of Kamloops, and Kamloops is about five hours from Vancouver. Add in all the stops along the way, plus getting across the border and into Seattle--probably a nice three day trip. Or a really, really, shitty 24-hour marathon drive.

It really depends on how it's scheduled. It can be one, the other or something more relaxed but not quite three days. We travelled 2500 miles in about 55 hours to get to PAX for the CCST.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ZartanZartan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    and then my car traveled that in under 39 hours on the way home

Zartan on
    edited September 2006
    Well, with drivers trading shifts, you could get from Kamloops to Seattle in about 10 hours, I think. However, you'd certainly be picking people up in Vancouver, which would tack on a couple hours. That place takes traffic pretty seriously.

And god knows how long it would take to cross the border in August. That's high tourist season.

How did the other cross-country trips do it? Did drivers trade off to go all day, or did they take a lot of breaks along the trip?

Samyel on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It won't be that hard, if we use two crossings. Some can use Peace Arch, and some can use Sumas-- with both meeting up in Bellingham for the final hours of the trip into the city as one mass caravan.

b0wser on
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Forget Peace Arch, use the Pacific Truck Crossing.. the lines are always shorter, and even if it's a long line, you can duck into the duty free and buy a chocolate bar, and you automatically get to cut to within 10 minutes of the border =).

Mo1son on
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't decide between whether I'm glad that i live so close to PAX, or that I'm sad that I don't get to go on awesome road trips. Maybe it's a little of both.

Even though I live on the East side (of Lake Washington, HAH), I'm thinking about getting a hotel room within walking/shuttle distance with a few friends so we can sleep a couple hours without having to drive home. Anyone else local doing that?

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    wenchkilla wrote:
    I can't decide between whether I'm glad that i live so close to PAX, or that I'm sad that I don't get to go on awesome road trips. Maybe it's a little of both.

Even though I live on the East side (of Lake Washington, HAH), I'm thinking about getting a hotel room within walking/shuttle distance with a few friends so we can sleep a couple hours without having to drive home. Anyone else local doing that?

I stayed with my friends in the Paragon Hotel last year and in the Doubletree the year before last, even though I lived in Kirkland.

It's far too convienient.

Legacy on
  • JBob08JBob08 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I unfortunately don't have enough time while I'm at work to read every post so if I'm asking this question and it has already been answered I appologize in advance.

Is PAX going to be in the same location next year or are they moving it to a larger venue? We love it, don't get me wrong but the overcrowding is becoming overwhelming. Especially after you travel all the way from Florida to go.

JBob08 on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    JBob08 wrote:
    I unfortunately don't have enough time while I'm at work to read every post so if I'm asking this question and it has already been answered I appologize in advance.

Is PAX going to be in the same location next year or are they moving it to a larger venue? We love it, don't get me wrong but the overcrowding is becoming overwhelming. Especially after you travel all the way from Florida to go.

It is being moved to the Washington State Convention Center. I think they mentioned that several times actually at PAX 06.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The Geek wrote:
    JBob08 wrote:

It is being moved to the Washington State Convention Center. I think they mentioned that several times actually at PAX 06.

Which is actually in Seattle, where it straddles I-5, which doesn't fuck up traffic ever.

faits on
    faits.png
    edited October 2006
    faits wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    JBob08 wrote:

Which is actually in Seattle, where it straddles I-5, which doesn't fuck up traffic ever.

What...?

Legacy on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    faits wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    JBob08 wrote:

What...?

The convention center is on top of I5...

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2006
    BigRed wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    faits wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    JBob08 wrote:

What...?

Yes...but I5...doesn't fuck up traffic ever?

Bullllllllllllllllshit.

Legacy on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    faits wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    JBob08 wrote:

What...?

Yes...but I5...doesn't fuck up traffic ever?

Bullllllllllllllllshit.

Sarcasm :wink:

A lot of things fuck up traffic on I-5, one of them is the bottleneck at the convention center.

faits on
    faits.png
    edited October 2006
    Note to self: Plot CCST Arrival for mid-day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hit the big 2-1 a month before pax 05

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited October 2006
    dyaballikl wrote:
    hit the big 2-1 a month before pax 05

Do you mean 07?

Legacy on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    My 21st birthday is exactly ONE WEEK after PAX. D=

It's a good thing the legal age in B.C. is 19 ;)

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Trillian wrote:

It's a good thing the legal age in B.C. is 19 ;)

Really? My 21ist B-day is on first so we need to get some partying going WITH CAKE! Guess we can celebrate you being old enough to buy liquor in the U.S.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Haha you youngins. Always with the things you can't legally have. I can drink. I can smoke (all sorts of things). I can dance....wait...

And the age hasn't stopped you in other years, why let it hold you back now?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can do all that stuff in Canada, where I live. It's silly that I won't be able to drink in the states for another two years.

Silly.

Waz on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm 21 about 5 months before PAX 07. The only thing that I was bummed about was not being able to go to the parties at 06. Otherwise I had a blast.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Trillian wrote:

Yes, because every hotel party was carding people at the door. ;)

Doc on
    edited October 2006
    I was just pulling people out of the business center... or taking them to the business center.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Recruit wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    I'm going. PAX will be a week before my 21st birthday. Woo.

Nice, my 21st is 3 months prior to the PAX-travaganza. So I'll be able to legally indulge in alcohol based shenanigans.

Go May babies!

PAX will start on the day of my 21st birthday.

In 2009.

Assuming that the scheduling stays the same.

Aydr on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sadly, I will not be able to make it to PAX 2007. I've been to all three PAXs so far and am terribly disappointed not to be there for the first year in the new venue.

On a more positive note, I will be the best man in my younger brother's wedding on the Saturday of PAX weekend. In Boston. Just about as far away as possible. Dammit, I'm being negative again...

:|

DJBreslin on
    edited October 2006
    DJBreslin wrote:
    Sadly, I will not be able to make it to PAX 2007. I've been to all three PAXs so far and am terribly disappointed not to be there for the first year in the new venue.

On a more positive note, I will be the best man in my younger brother's wedding on the Saturday of PAX weekend. In Boston. Just about as far away as possible. Dammit, I'm being negative again...

Clearly they need to move the wedding. Or you need to hire a stand-in. Don't worry... once the drinking starts, no one will notice it's not you.

Samyel on
  • BSR StashBSR Stash Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DJBreslin wrote:

Tell them that they're not ment for each other, or to rethink this really big decision. That should stall them for a good 6 months :)

BSR Stash on
    edited October 2006
    DJBreslin wrote:

Fake your own death. When you get back from PAX and they discover you're still alive, just play it off like you had no idea somebody faked your death.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You'd better believe I'm goin' to PAX '07. I'll be taggin' with the CCST again, hopefully with my car in perfect working condition - or as close to it as I can get.

And this time I'll actually bring a camera. And perhaps my Sabin costume. . .get in with the cosplay crowd. Oh, and not bring my computer. For the entirety of PAX, I probably used it a grand total of fourty-five minutes at the most. And carting it from the Hilton to the Meydenbauer wasn't one of those enjoyable experiences I'd like to reinact.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
This discussion has been closed.