As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castrate All Nazis: This Time in Afrika [Sniper Elite V3]

1234568»

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So, should I get Sniper Elite V2 or V3?

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    As someone who never played V2, and I am enjoying 3 immensely and would highly recommend it. My understanding is that it has the same core-sniping mechanic as V2, but 3 has less linear level design, and an improved stealth systems.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    As someone who never played V2, and I am enjoying 3 immensely and would highly recommend it. My understanding is that it has the same core-sniping mechanic as V2, but 3 has less linear level design, and an improved stealth systems.

To be 100% honest, neither of those are big gamechangers.

You come to Sniper Elite for xray nazi shooting. From the QL, SE3 looks improved on that front.

SEv2 is in no way a bad buy, but if you have the money for one or the other, I'd say 3, though I haven't played it yet.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Sniper V3 has some of the worst AI ever. I enjoy the game, but the AI is so utterly stupid it's nearly made me stop playing on more than one occasion. A truck runs over a mine I put on road through a camp full of soldiers and nobody bats an eye. However, I take two steps in "normal" stance from a farther distance away behind cover and suddenly every local solider is WHAT WAS THAT? Get spotted and just run away and hide for a minute then the AI goes back to what it was doing like nothing happened, even if they can clearly see the piles of bodies you left behind.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The AI is definitely inconsistent in 3.

Hop down from 3 feet and everyone on your radar will turn to look at you. Collapse a cave on a 60mm cannon and the dude with the pazerfaust in front is completely oblivious.

The first example works fairly well for reinforcing the idea that you're alone behind enemy lines trying to sneak around for that perfect shot. It's been fun to play cat and mouse with the enemies and lead them into ambushes.

To answer the v2 or 3 question, the new game starts out better and keeps improving. The levels are a bit more open. There's more to see and collect. Sneaking has been improved. Graphics are better. 505 Games managed to make a game set in African deserts not feel like the stereotypical brown shooters from yesteryear.

It's been awhile since I played v2, but it was a fun game. The missions were a little more repetitive, which hasn't happened in 3, yet.

Both games have great sniping action. Both are also plenty rough around the edges, which is more than acceptable from a small dev team.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I'm having a lot more fun in multi than I thought I would. It doesn't seem to be very active though, so I'm going to play the shit out of it while I can. Part of the problem is the small community is split with so many options. There is a huge difference between no bullet drop, drop with aim assist, no assist, etc. Even turning on secondary weapons becomes a big deal (SMG, rockets, etc).

When you get a good game, it's amazing. Marking targets is a huge help to your team, enough so you could be a dedicated spotter. I love how it gets you to move after two kills for extra points. It *is* a sniping game, so you are expected to camp, but it feels great to get on a kill streak where you relocate every few kills.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Beat the campaign on max difficulty. Story was pretty blah, retarded AI persisted throughout the game. Some of the levels are very visually impressive, especially the final one. A bit disappointed in lack of sniper rifles (only four) and it takes multiple playthroughs to unlock the attachments for them. I did have fun with the game and put 24 hours into it, so don't feel like it was a waste of money. Game really needs a shooting range practice mode.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Got my first taste of coop last night. In single player missions can take 2+ hours, sneaking through the level tagging people with binoculars and trying to get everybody taken down under sound masking without being spotted.

In co-op however, we went through the level like possessed devils. We cared not how much noise we made, nor how many times we were spotted. standing in the open and just firing as waves of troops and approach made it feel like a completely different game. 20 minutes later and the level was complete.

Khade97 on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Question: any one know if all the DLC for this game will come to the PS4? Cause I'm thinking about picking it up, but after seeing all the content that got released just on PC for V2 I'm kinda bummed out.

All my googling came up with is that "Save Churchill" is coming to PS4 and 4 of the 5 DLC's on PC are on PS4.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Also will be on XB1 and PC--at least according to Wikipedia.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I feel like they're kind of doing these in the wrong order.