As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest Next] Details revealed. Press embargo ended. Beta registration open.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Ice caves!!

http://imgur.com/a/4eDEq#29

You can get LOST in these bad boys. Love it.

Ok time to try this game out again, that is damned gorgeous.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm gonna let it patch tonight. Definitely time to check out how Landmark is getting on.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Wish I could find a damn cave.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Stragint wrote: »

The one in my picture is a short walk from my claim. They are not too hard to find if you go to the right zoom level on the map.

Edit: make sure you *tilt* the map as you look. That way you can see depth.

All the caves entrances I've seen so far have been holes in the ground that just kind of kept going.

Kylindra on
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Got a seven day closed beta invite. It's a fun little pet project, I've just been running around looking at claims and trying to upgrade my equipment. Since I only have 7 days and won't be focusing on this too much, do you alpha folks just recommend I stick to equipment upgrading and exploration?

It sounds like additional invites are a thing, and potentially an easy thing at that. I just don't want to go hog wilde at this junction and not get a sequential additional patch to keep my claim alive. Figure I try to gather and upgrade my tools as much as possible, do a lot of exploration, and if I get another invite I can hopefully build and play at day one to my heart's content. Assuming there are no wipes to worry about, that is.

So far I have up to the Iron Pick, the first upgraded axe, grappling hook, ore detector, and the first three accessories created (speed boost, harvest damage boost and the rare find increaser). I'm a little OCD so my first preoccupation is just travelling thru the different isles until I have the picks and axe and sickle and whatever other tools I need to pick anything anywhere. I just hate running across a rare find and not being able to harvest it, pet peeve in any game! :)

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Have to say, one of my favorite things so far is cave spelunking. There's nothing quite so cool as running through a cave and seeing an ore vein on the ceiling. Then it becomes a clever game of Dig Dug to carve up through the wall and get to the ore without accidentally picking through your support floor!

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Or crafting yourself a grappling hook and becoming Spider-Miner. Many an ore vein I have harvested haning by one hand from the ceiling.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

Easy way to find them is on your map turn on claimable land. Caves are not claimable so you will see small patches of unclaimable land that clearly are not part of peoples claims. Just walk over to one hit your metal detector and you should spot some sub surface minerals pulverizer down to them and you should break through into the cave complex. I tend to find this easier than finding the actual physical surface entrance to the caves as some of those can be hard to spot.

I made a second claim about 200 yards south from my first claim. My first claim is an almost island (the land bridge connecting it to the mainland is about 5 feet wide and a foot above sea level) in the far south east of the map. This puts my second claim underwater deep enough that surfacing without time to decompress would result in a serious case of the bends. This is on Serenety:Lagoon if anyone wants to see it.

Building underwater has advantages and disadvantages. The good parts are clear terrain to build on, no unsightly veiws of other peoples incomplete builds, and the extreme ease of placing objects/templates/builds when you can essentially 'fly' to all angles of your claim.

The bad parts are the lighting can suck and it's buggy down there. The paint tool will half the time paint not jsut what you want altered, but the water around it as well, leaving you with an unintended block. Also the constant playback of 'Under da sea' in your head can get annoying.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    So would you say that, on balance, it's better down where it's wetter? I quite like the idea of building on a coastal claim next.

Can you hollow out underwater builds yet?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    If you mean remove the water and have air pockets, no, not yet. If you start building underwater, no matter what you do, it's going to be underwater, there is no way to get air down there.

edited June 2014
    So, I don't know if you guys have used the Gallery feature much, but it occurred to me that the ability to teleport to any claim from there was a great way to get a shortcut to the Ocean so I could check out swimming and stuff, which I hadn't done yet. So I opened up the Marketplace, went to the Gallery tab, and searched for "Ocean." I picked the top rated claim, paid my teleport shard....and OH MAN.

This place is awesome!

r3iXreO.jpg

It's a whole seaside resort. There's the bar, private rooms (with ocean view!), and even a gift shop:

1o8cy2Z.png

Landmark Tourism! I love it. :)

Kylindra on
    So, according to the blueprint we're getting guilds added to Landmark in a few weeks.

I don't know if closed beta guilds will carry over to open beta, but I plan to go ahead and start a guild anyway as soon as it's possible. Open beta is probably going to be starting sometime around the end of the summer (total guess, based on blueprint and stuff they've said before). When that happens, I think it'll be time to split Landmark into a separate thread here, since it's no longer Everquest Next Landmark, just Landmark, and it doesn't really make sense to have them in the same thread any more. And by Open Beta there should be enough Game in the game to get more people interested.

So, any suggestions for a guild name? I have some (terrible) ideas:

Burled Wood Builders
    Voxelmancy Heroes
    Life-Sized Replicators
    Dark Voxelmancers
    Claimjumpers
    Voxel Tourism Board
    Building Tools

....I hope someone has a better idea. ;)

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Could always fallback on typical PA guild names, stuff revolving around Arcadia, Cardboard Tubes, Clawshrimps, etc.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Let's Get Kraken
    The Copper Cutters
    The Penny Arcane
    Flagged for Misconduct
    Flagging Rights
    Places of Interest

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
    By the way, in case you guys don't read the Landmark forums much, they officially request feedback via this reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/landmark/comments/29orkt/a_props_list_for_landmark_and_the_workshop/

The subject is what props we want to see going forward, and a list of some that are already on the table. The devs are watching that thread so go add your ideas and upvote the good ones already there!

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I had fun on day one of my new closed Beta access - it's lovely looking, and I'm now really looking forward to EQ Next.

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide ?

It turns out I have no creative talent at all, and need help making a starter home.

So far I've upgraded my tools to tier 2, found some caves, and have quite a bit of materials, but I'm not sure what to do next...

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    By the way, in case you guys don't read the Landmark forums much, they officially request feedback via this reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/landmark/comments/29orkt/a_props_list_for_landmark_and_the_workshop/

The subject is what props we want to see going forward, and a list of some that are already on the table. The devs are watching that thread so go add your ideas and upvote the good ones already there!

Landmark has a lot of potential

The sad thing is I've spent 8 hours trying to get it to work to experience that potential, and only about 40 minutes of actually walking around in the world, and that was on batches of 2 minutes here, 10 minutes there.

Buttcleft on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I haven't played much lately. Before they added caves and water I didn't have much trouble running the game but now the lag is unbearable.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited July 2014
    I haven't played much lately. Before they added caves and water I didn't have much trouble running the game but now the lag is unbearable.

Yeah, went I went to the forums it seems that even people with supercomputer power were lucky to get 10fps at times.

Not to mention unpredictable freezes, lockups, crashes to desktop, or locking up the whole system requiring a hard reset.

I really want to like it but holy god I can not fathom the mouth foaming rage I'd be blinded by if I had bought into the beta right now.

Yeah, It seems to be a true beta and not one of those forever beta but we're totally launched and functional but y'know beta so you cant bitch at us betas.

Buttcleft on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Woo, invite get! Let's try this baby out.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Just got in this morning. Rolled on Rebellion. Ended up on a tundra world. Chose a nice bleak small crag out in the middle of the ocean to the south.

Looking forward to when this is slightly more stable. Despite all the bugs, I like what I see.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Yeah, went I went to the forums it seems that even people with supercomputer power were lucky to get 10fps at times.

Not to mention unpredictable freezes, lockups, crashes to desktop, or locking up the whole system requiring a hard reset.

I really want to like it but holy god I can not fathom the mouth foaming rage I'd be blinded by if I had bought into the beta right now.

Yeah, It seems to be a true beta and not one of those forever beta but we're totally launched and functional but y'know beta so you cant bitch at us betas.

That's weird, as I was getting 40-50fps, and my setup is a few years old.

Maybe a driver/card issue ?

For those having massive lag, try turning your graphics options down somewhat. It defaults to high settings, unlike most games.

edited July 2014
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That's weird, as I was getting 40-50fps, and my setup is a few years old.

Maybe a driver/card issue ?

No clue, forums filled with people who have a swath of different cards having the same issue it seems.

For me, I found I can get 30min-1 hour of stability if I do the following.
    • Restart my computer fresh.
    • start the launcher.
    • use it to open the install folder and delete the Cache folder.
    • Validate files
    • Restart computer again
    • Restart launcher.
    • Launch game.
    • sacrifice a goat on an altar of bone and moss.

Having to do this every time I want to play is hugely annoying, and I was full ready to drop 20 bucks on the founders thing when I got the invite. At least it lets me save that cash for h1z1.

Buttcleft on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Played for a few hours, only stopped due to power outage. Entered onto Serenity, staked my claim next to the beach. Turned out to be on a slanted hill but I think I can work around it.

Questions!

1. How do I harvest plants like Cotton? I only see a Silver Sickle craftable, do I need to hit Tier 3 to work fabrics?
    2. Does Stone ever appear in deeper concentrations? Sure, there's plenty where I am but it's always one hit thick.
    3. On that note, what the hell do I do with 30k+ Dirt?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    3. On that note, what the hell do I do with 30k+ Dirt?

You could try building with it as Stucco and then Painting over it with appropriate Stone textures to blend it against the beach/hill. Worked for me, at least.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2014
    ...Is that seriously a thing that works? I could've saved so much stone that way.

EDIT: Never mind, painting still consumes the materials, it just switches one for the other in your inventory.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    1. How do I harvest plants like Cotton? I only see a Silver Sickle craftable, do I need to hit Tier 3 to work fabrics?
    2. Does Stone ever appear in deeper concentrations? Sure, there's plenty where I am but it's always one hit thick.

You can only harvest plants with the Silver Sickle, so, yea. Tier 3 is when you can use the alchemy station.

As far as the stone goes, I faintly remember there being pure veins of stone but I could be wrong. You usually get it from mining ores and gems as well so it's not restricted to just one tier of islands.

If you're on a beach, try looking around for outcroppings of stone nearby, like mountains and stuff. Normally I jsut go harvest ores and gems and end up with a lot of stone.

As for 30k dirt, eventually you'll be able to make a sifter, which is a machine that will consume dirt/sand/stone and give you ores and gems in return.

Hooray I got a Landmark beta invite in the mail! Oh, 7 days of access starting now? Well isn't that grand! I'm out of the country for another week! :|

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    Hooray I got a Landmark beta invite in the mail! Oh, 7 days of access starting now? Well isn't that grand! I'm out of the country for another week! :|

It starts when you cash it in, I believe. So don't put the code in until you're ready!

edited July 2014
    Talith wrote: »

It starts when you cash it in, I believe. So don't put the code in until you're ready!

Nope, starts when they send you the mail.

Talith heres hoping you have a more stable experience than I did, it was so unplayable for me that I've uninstalled it with over half my beta time remaining.

Buttcleft on
    Voxel water, you guys!

Updated my screenshot album with a shot of my new bathroom: http://imgur.com/a/4eDEq#26

The water is still static for now. Of course, that means you can do excessively silly things with it, so it's actually kind of fun. Already seen someone make a Stargate.

Isn't the intent to have both static and dynamic/physics water?

Wonder if Landmark will get the weather systems that are in development for the forgelight engine.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited July 2014
    For anyone interested, SOE's having a giveaway for some rare items, from now to next Friday.

TolerantZero on
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Isn't the intent to have both static and dynamic/physics water?

Wonder if Landmark will get the weather systems that are in development for the forgelight engine.

I'd imagine that that's a given. Landmark is one step removed from EQ Next, and I imagine that the whole reason weather is going to be added to Forgelight is because of EQ Next(and possibly H1Z1). So they'll throw in the weather systems into Landmark for engine testing for Next.

Yup... back from vacation just in time for the beta window to close in my face. :<

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    If you're on Steam, all the Landmark packs are 66% off for the next 48 hours (45 at this point).

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    I must be a goddamn idiot cause I just bought the cheapest steam pack for 7 bucks, despite not even being able to run the goddamn game last time I was in it.