As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Chaos sphere all the things.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Awwww damn it. First stage of Tower of Fate:
    Fished up a music score. Had no idea that could even happen. I've been skipping fishing spots for the entire second half of the game. Now I have to go back...

Unrelated: something about this game really makes me want to play Mega Man 4. (Not 2, not 3, not 5, but 4.)

That ending warmed the cockles of my cold black heart.

Daww..

10/10. Would dig again.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

*whispers into the wind*

butt mode

*vanishes into the nether*
    Start a new game file, enter that as your name. ENJOY.

Apparently there are a TON of different codes people have been finding:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gbtQSPqvzV8oWqQJEQH12-5_PAGAAKx_zc1MXxXbcDI/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    How are there codes with unknown effect, you'd think the way you tell if a code is real is by if it had an effect in the first place?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    REPLAY VALUE MULTIPLIED!
    TNFCGUGO: "Ducktales" mode, start with 99999 gold, can pogo off the ground, enemies do quadruple damage

I must play this.

BlueBlue wrote: »
    How are there codes with unknown effect, you'd think the way you tell if a code is real is by if it had an effect in the first place?

If you enter a code, the game tells you it's detecting a cheat code, and lets you know that that file won't acrue any achievements.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    ~Mystery solved~

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Ugh, how is it that Tinker Knight gave me a minimal amount of trouble before, but repeatedly kicked my ass in the Boss Rush?

Also, Dynamo Armour is the best. The double-bounce- to-Charge-Slash was my best friend in the Boss Rush. Polar Knight was a total joke with that.

edzepp on
    I was kind of sad Tinker Knight was a legitimate boss battle.

I like the idea of there being one guy thats just the equivalent of Lonestar holding his hand on Dark Helmet's face while he flails helplessly.

Man, Ducktales Mode is tough. Yeah, the ground pogo is all sorts of powerful, but quad damage is a real pain in the shovel.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Daww..

10/10. Would dig again.

Shovel Knight saves lives.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014
    So what is up with the hall of champions? nevermind!
    I get you have to kill the ghosts with the light orbs, but the upper left room isn't turning light when I kill the three ghosts in it. I've jumped all around the place trying to get a fourth ghost to spawn, evening in the adjacent hidden room with the music sheet, and nothing

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Try hitting tangible things

I ate an engineer
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Enchantress down. That first stage was actually pretty tough with all the random falling. I must have gone from 49 deaths to like sixty-something just to get through that.

That was a fun little game.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited July 2014
    I find that once I get into a groove of messing stuff up, I can never seem to get out of it. Like, I just end up repeating the same mistake over and over. Much gold has been wasted on me doing the exact same wrong thing every single time.

edzepp on
    Yeah. Like a full quarter of my total deaths in this game is from trying to beat Propeller ManKnight's stage while half aslees and always making the same mistake.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So what is up with the hall of champions? nevermind!
    I get you have to kill the ghosts with the light orbs, but the upper left room isn't turning light when I kill the three ghosts in it. I've jumped all around the place trying to get a fourth ghost to spawn, evening in the adjacent hidden room with the music sheet, and nothing

I forget where he is, but there is another ghost in that room that is really well hidden. I believe you need to be standing in the right spot for him to spawn.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Wow, the ending actually caused me to tear up. Looking back, the whole thing is a really concise, compelling love story.

The dream sequences really do well at setting the tone of Shovel Knight's quest, and how desperately he wants to fix what happened at the Tower.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    finished the game in 4 hours and 48 minutes with 99 deaths

my kind of game

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The dream sequences really do well at setting the tone of Shovel Knight's quest, and how desperately he wants to fix what happened at the Tower.

End-game spoilers, like for serious:
    When the Enchantress reverts to Shield Knight and starts falling, it's just muscle memory at that point.

... and suddenly I'm forced to wonder. What if you don't catch her? The idea never occurred to me.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just dropping by to say I got this on my 3DS and love it! Not only because the game is straight awesome, but the StreetPass feature is surprisingly fun and innovative. Even better, I finally have a way to spend my 300 excess coins! MONEY BABY!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Kupi wrote: »

When the Enchantress reverts to Shield Knight and starts falling, it's just muscle memory at that point.

... and suddenly I'm forced to wonder. What if you don't catch her? The idea never occurred to me.

I wondered every time since the first. But I never had the heart to check. There are some things that can't be done even for science.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I wondered every time since the first. But I never had the heart to check. There are some things that can't be done even for science.
    As far as the dream, it was the first thing I tried on NG+. Nothing happens.

I'm also really tempted and curious if you don't do the real one. My gut says you probably die and restart.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This game is just amazing.
    I'm pretty bad at platforming, and this was supposed to be a game I'd hate. But the gameplay is just the perfect balance between challenge and fun. I'm beyond amazed.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

As far as the dream, it was the first thing I tried on NG+. Nothing happens.

I'm also really tempted and curious if you don't do the real one. My gut says you probably die and restart.

Actually, somebody on GAF failed at it on purpose. She just says "You came for me" in stead of "you caught me".

I'm not sure if that's a good idea for preventing frustration, or an unfortunate break from a cool story element.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Spectre Knight's boss battle with the flickering lights was straight up bullshit.

BUY A DANG TORCH

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    The fuck do I look like? Torch Knight?

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Specter Knight might be one of the more boring boss fights in the game but holy shit was his stage awesome.

That music. So good.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That music. So good.

Can be applied to every stage.

btw if you like the music in Shovel Knight, check out other music from Jake Kaufman aka virt

Best stage music is either Strike the Earth or Flowers of Antimony.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

Yes.

YES.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »

Yes.

YES.

I think he's more akin to Beer Knight.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Daww..

10/10. Would dig again.

I watched a live-stream LP of the game and thought the same thing; I might have to pick this up, but first I want a computer that isn't a laptop with a crappy key-board.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited July 2014
    Despite the higher difficulty, I think I'm getting through the New Game+ faster. Must be all that new equipment. And the fact that I'm running on 100 magic with Phase Locket. Yeah, that thing is ridiculous.

I'm also looking into all the extra content I didn't do. So that means Troupple King, fishing, new equipment, the Hall of Champions (which is a whole level in and of itself), and Mr. Hat, who was a bit easy. I do find it odd that Mr. Hat appeared in the end credits my first time even though I never met him. Then again, that was my only clue that he was even in there.

Also, using the mobile gear to one-hit kill Tinker Knight's first form is hilarious, AND saves me a few hits going into round 2.

I'll probably sit on the game after I get New Game+ done and play through again once Gender Flip mode is released. Not gonna bother with getting all the achievements. I'm too much of a spaz to get the no-damage and the 1 hour 30 ones.

edzepp on
    You can one hit kill him with that?

Interesting, I'm guessing thats a reference to using Metal Man's own weapon against himself.

Yeah, I found that out from someone else. Only the first form though. You have to fight the mech for realsies.

edited July 2014
    I'm going to be super sad if Shovel Knight doesn't get a dog (dragon?) sidekick named Spade in the next game.

Dr. Chaos on