As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tailored resumes & LinkedIn/Indeed

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
I've always tailored my resume for each position I apply to. For example, I will focus my resume on skills specifically listed in the job post.

However, LinkedIn/Indeed make my 'generic' resume available to the companies I apply for.

Does anybody have a good strategy for reconciling this?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Frame your generic resume in terms broad and open-ended enough that it would be clear you were just emphasizing exactly what they were looking for in the tailored resume?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Frame your generic resume in terms broad and open-ended enough that it would be clear you were just emphasizing exactly what they were looking for in the tailored resume?

That's what I'm thinking. I just don't want it to come across as bullshitty?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Anytime I've applied for a job directly through LinkedIn there has been an option to upload a resume with your profile. My profile will just flat out list everything, well everything that I would want any potential employer to know, but then I would upload my tailored resume with my application.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It's what I've done. Sort of a general overview on Linkedin, where I go into specific achievements on my resume. Mine's not perfect but if you PM me i'll shoot you the link to each.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Anytime I've applied for a job directly through LinkedIn there has been an option to upload a resume with your profile. My profile will just flat out list everything, well everything that I would want any potential employer to know, but then I would upload my tailored resume with my application.

I think I like this approach. I'll make my LinkedIn profile obscenely long and expansive and send a focused version with the application.