As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game Grumps: Now with MORE WOLFJOB

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
Mod Edit: JonTron has become a source of derails lately, so discussion about him or his show is banned.

You can still link and discuss older Game Grumps episodes featuring Jon, but that's it. THIS INCLUDES MUSING ON WHY JON LEFT GAME GRUMPS. If you wish to discuss JonTron's independent stuff, then go to the general YouTube thread.

YTIUsZU.png

Game Grumps? What the fuck is that?

In a nutshell: two guys playing video games together and doing funny commentary on it.
It is one of the most popular channels on Youtube, with about 1,6 million subscribers at the moment.

They reliably upload 3 videos every day, each one being about 10 minutes long - two Game Grumps videos, one Steam Train video.

Wait, there are two channels now? THIS IS GETTING TOO COMPLICATED, I'M OUT

No wait!

The "main" Game Grumps channel is, well, Game Grumps.

AII4u4V.png

Game Grumps is Arin and Danny playing console games together - expect mostly old Nintendo games here.
They usually have a couple ongoing longer series, where they (try to) complete games, interspersed with "one-offs" which are mostly terrible games they give up on after 10 minutes.

45n056s.png

As the name suggests, Game Grumps VS is them playing games against each other.

V1xYZwV.jpg

Steam Train came to be when Danny and Ross joined Game Grumps. It's basically the same concept as Game Grumps, only it's Ross and a guest (i.e. Danny and/or Arin) playing PC games.

dMxhGIJ.png

Steam Rolled is basically Game Grumps VS with 4-players. Arin, Ross and Barry will usually be joined by either Danny or Suzy for this.

But wait, there's more!

zU7Rh6Z.jpg

Table Flip is a show hosted by Barry and Suzy where they play board games with other Youtubers. Sometimes the other Grumps join them, sometimes it's people like ProJared or Markiplier. There's usually a new episode every couple of weeks. The episodes are published first on Polaris, but after a while are uploaded to the Game Grumps channel as well.

d9nzg9r.jpg

Star Bomb is a band comprised of Arin, Danny and Brian (of Ninja Sex Party). They released their first album last year, which you can buy here, among other places. It's a comedy / parody band making songs about video games and dicks.

It's great.

Watch their animated music videos here!

Wait..Arin? Barry? Suzy? Who the hell are those people anyway?

The following wonderful people contribute to Game Grumps in one way or another:

KJ18SLK.jpg

Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson is the co-founder and head honcho of Game Grumps who appears in the vast majority of videos. You might know him from his "Awesome" series, his "Sequelitis" videos or even his appearance on terrible reality TV show "The Tester".
His most awe-inducing power, however, is his ability to gain or lose any number of chins at will. One moment he might look like a regular, one-chinned guy but then BAM!, twelve chins out of nowhere. They say with great chin comes great responsibility and Arin has accepted that. Maintaining those chins, however, takes up a lot of his concentration so he's usually pretty terrible at playing games.

lsHdcsA.jpg?1

Leigh Daniel "Danny Y. Sexbang"(the Y stands for "you", so that you'll be fully enveloped by him) Avidan is the Not-So-Grump to Arin's Grump. You might know him from his awesome band Ninja Sex Party.
It is said that if you stand in front of a mirror and say "Danny Sexbang" three times, he will be summoned and offer you a bag of Skittles.
Or, more likely, he will immediately make love to you and while you're having a post-sex cigarette he will ransack your house to see if you've got any Skittles.
Motherfucker loves Skittles.

tUhORWA.jpg

Ross "RubberRoss" O'Donovan is some dude who fancies himself an "Australian" or whatever. Unable even to complete the simplest of games, his goal usually becomes making sure that if he can't win, everyone else at least will have a miserable time.
All together now: "God damn it, Ross."

DOEp7gt.jpg

Barry "Barry" Kramer is the editor of Game Grumps and your new god. Bask in his radiance for he is our savior.
Probably the only one at Game Grumps who's actually any good at playing games, he's mostly a background figure, occasionally chiming in on an episode with a funny edit. As mentioned, he hosts Table Flip together with..

NLveIbx.png

..Suzy "Mortem3r" "Goose" Berhow, who is Arin's wife and the voice of reason on this crazy ride. She has been on a couple Steam Rolled episodes but mostly stays off-camera. She has her own channel here which is centered on make-up and fashion.

EE7CuZi.jpg

Mycaruba

HR70CG1.jpg

Kikunae Ikeda

wJO9MSr.jpg

Buttlet, the Hero of Selfies Wind

cTubVDn.jpg

Boat

"You've got boat blood in you, kid!"

dxlBCnZ.jpg

P0GFpmi.jpg

xdA2RmP.png

OBYrL4B.jpg

Jon "Jontron" Jafari is the former Not-So-Grump and founding member of Game Grumps. He left the channel in June 2013 to focus more on other projects and to move in with his girlfriend in New York. You should check out his channel JonTronShow, it's great!

So why should I watch this?

Because it's fun! It's important to note that Game Grumps is not a channel you should visit if you want to watch speedruns or walkthroughs of video games. These guys are comedians / entertainers first and gamers second. Being consistently funny for 10 minutes with no awkward silences and playing competently at the same time is tough. They're trying their best but it can be pretty frustrating occasionally. Usually, however, it's worth it to watch them aimlessly stumble around. Just give it a shot and watch a couple of episodes to see if you like it.

Sonic 06: This way lies madness.
Drakkhen: The epic journey of Willard, Bill, Langley and Big Bill to the 7-Eleven.
Dennis the Menace: GET OUTTA HERE
Mega Man 2: Includes many delightful Danny stories
Goof Troop
Gundam Battle Assault 2: Oh hey, Big Zam.
Mickey Mousecapade: Jeez, game designers, get it together!
Wheel of Fortune: Lose a turn
Night Trap: Watch out behind you!
Mario Party 8: Watch it. Do it. Don't chew it.
Shadow the Hedgehog: KILL THE PRESIDENT
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2: I GOTTA MAKE A FRIEND

Game Grumps Animated

IT'S A PUMBLOON
Sad Hoshi
Eat Your Peas
Game Grumps The Movie
Mayor Luigi
Ash Man
You Don't Know Jon
Racist Bassist
Sexy Widdle Baby
Bye Grandma!
Brock Tomb
GIRLS
Liquid Game Grumps

Also:

ZjYOFHG.gif

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Sterica on

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoCM21thm0

I'm just assuming they died a million times in the King's Quest 6 Labyrinth and couldn't get a usable clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7f_nCKfFw

If you enjoy watching Arin suck at Zelda games, here's two hours worth.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    meanwhile, 720 noscope weedlord gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKeQRWHXbA

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Glad to see the Cliffs of Logic in KQ6 still gets that reaction nowadays.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Glad to see the Cliffs of Logic in KQ6 still gets that reaction nowadays.

I think part of the problem is similar to the game speed issue in Space Quest. Alex's little balance check only occurred like once a minute back in the day, but the high clock speed of modern machines might make it hard to actually progress there.

I always loved and hated the copy protection back in the day. They were great because they got you to look at the manual and supplemental materials, but at the same time kind of took you out of the game. I think the worst was probably Zork Zero, where you couldn't beat the Jester at Double Fanucci if you didn't read the Encyclopedia Frobozzica Entry on Babe Flathead you couldn't know that three undertrumps after a discarded trebled fromp would overrule the unrejuvenated slamboozle.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You know I don't speak spanish

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I'm going to be highly disappointed if neither Dan nor Arin make a "trying to catch me riding durdee" joke on Heart of Darkness.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, cool, this thread popped up.

Last one got locked literally as I hit post on a reply.

Soo... um...

I always make this mistake.

I mentioned how much I love games like Metal Storm and Metal Marines, which prompted someone awesome to post the intro to Metal Marines.

... Well.. here's the thing. I never actually played Metal Marines, and I always get it mixed up with another game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnwkHRzRPA

I used to play this all the time with my childhood friend, late into the deep hours of the night. He'd get so pissed and ban me from certain vehicles, and vice versa.

This is pretty representative of how things went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bXjWSGN8QM

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT! I caught up to the current grumps, so I decide to watch some Continue? Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD83bCqsnS8

Someone send this game to the Grumps! Like.... RIGHT FUCKING YESTERDAY!

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Firebird wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT! I caught up to the current grumps, so I decide to watch some Continue? Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD83bCqsnS8

Someone send this game to the Grumps! Like.... RIGHT FUCKING YESTERDAY!

Yeah I've played this a bunch, it's great. The big guy was my favorite, but they're playing them all wrong! Game is deceptively deep, they need to spam throws with the big guy and utilize the jump kicks with the girl. She can bounce all over the place!

The big ninja can beat infinite weaker enemies by just holding the forward key and throwing their puny frames into the ground.

Vic_Hazard on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh hey, new thread.

Also, Goof Troop remains unanimously the best series. I am enjoying heart of darkness though.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hPU0S6ihmA&feature=youtu.be&a

Poor Arin. Still, it being a 2D game he performs better than I would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbZeX1mFCM

So we're going to have ourselves a "laugh at silly simulators" series? Well fine with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRnG2aRJvMU

Dying deaths.

Absalon on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Today in Game Grumps, Ross and Arin have no idea what animals look like.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The Grumps are at RTX this weekend: http://rtxevent.com/home.php

They've got a panel in about 7 hours and I think Twitch is livestreaming it. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it live, but hopefully they'll upload the recording pretty soon.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Today on Game Grumps, Arin & Danny seek the answer to a question we already know the answer to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZiozYcCpXU

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Does Ross not know how to read button prompts?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It is killing me to listen to the grumps try to identify these animals.

Like, Ross, buddy, tigers and lions are pretty easy to tell apart.

Ross grew up in a place where everything non-human (and a number of humans) didn't need to be distinguished at all - they are all equally inclined to cause a terrible death.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Ross grew up in a place where everything non-human (and a number of humans) didn't need to be distinguished at all - they are all equally inclined to cause a terrible death.

Especially the drop bears. Vicious little fuckers.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    metal warriors was awesome as well. metal marines was more of a sim/rts...

y'know... because of how fucking weird the flora and fauna is over in Australia, I'll give Ross a pass in trying to ID animals on this side of the globe.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I know this has probably been said before too, but if you've ever played a game while having a nonstop, unrelated conversation, you know that it's generally hard as fuck.
    the super best friends ruined me for this explanation

I just wanted to say that watching Pat not just beat, but legitimately speedrun RE2 - and beat his own best time - while still being hilarious did totally ruin this excuse.

uyvfOQy.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I know this has probably been said before too, but if you've ever played a game while having a nonstop, unrelated conversation, you know that it's generally hard as fuck.
    the super best friends ruined me for this explanation

I just wanted to say that watching Pat not just beat, but legitimately speedrun RE2 - and beat his own best time - while still being hilarious did totally ruin this excuse.

If he speed runs it, he's played the hell out of it and knows it like the back of his hand. Seriously, apples and oranges here.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    Yeah, you can see something similar if you go back and watch Arin run through Megaman X.

He doesn't even have to think that much about the game as he's playing, he knows it so well. He can just spew bullshit while tearing the game apart.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Jesus. And PETA gets on Mario for animal cruelty? That Cabella's game probably saw the native populations of 5 different species plummet in those 10 minutes.

Also it proves that if you are in the middle of a reload, just have an animal attack you and you'll be able to shoot it no problem!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AndrewViveirosAndrewViveiros Registered User regular
    Does this Cabela's game mean we won't be getting anymore King's Quest VI? I really love watching Danny play Sierra games.

Does this Cabela's game mean we won't be getting anymore King's Quest VI? I really love watching Danny play Sierra games.

The Labyrinth section can wreck you if you aren't prepared.

There's more copy protection in there, and it's really easy to use the wrong item at the wrong time and ruin your chances later. It's also probably pretty hard to make it funny.

I expect it to come back, bu not for a while.

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Today on Game Grumps, Arin & Danny seek the answer to a question we already know the answer to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZiozYcCpXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusGIl3v044

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Yeah, you can see something similar if you go back and watch Arin run through Megaman X.

He doesn't even have to think that much about the game as he's playing, he knows it so well. He can just spew bullshit while tearing the game apart.

Except he's talked many times about how great Super Metroid is, how comparing new Castlevania games to it is an insult, how many times he's played it and how much he loves it...

And then he's never beaten it, was pretty bad at it, and wasn't very funny while failing over and over at it.

(Also he never even finished MMX, so I'm guessing he wasn't confident in his performance in the last half of it, either on the talking or gaming side.)

uyvfOQy.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    metal warriors was awesome as well. metal marines was more of a sim/rts...

y'know... because of how fucking weird the flora and fauna is over in Australia, I'll give Ross a pass in trying to ID animals on this side of the globe.

Lions and Tigers aren't native to the US, yet any child could handle it. It's pretty sad for real.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    is no one else going to comment that ross doesn't even notice that he has the option to continue from a checkpoint instead of the level

liEt3nH.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Athenor wrote: »
    Jesus. And PETA gets on Mario for animal cruelty? That Cabella's game probably saw the native populations of 5 different species plummet in those 10 minutes.
    Well, Mario is popular and Cabella is some weird niche title that I guess is supported by hunters and bored people waiting on someone at Walmart.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Two Best Friends being capable of being funny and genuinely competent at the majority of games they play does not somehow mean that doing that is not difficult or trying for most other people. C'mon.

Greps and Rooster Teeth play Cards Against Humanity:

Part 1

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8HVY9U_9aQ

The Humbling of Avidan and Hanson: chapter 2

Is that really what primary school education in the US is like? Mostly useless trivia?

This discussion has been closed.