As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Olly Olly Oxen Free

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Olly Olly Oxen Free

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    Katie, this immediately brought to mind the Interactive Fiction game 'Ollie Ollie Oxen Free', in which the protagonist helps children navigate a crisis situation following a bombing.

Not sure if you're interested in IF at all, but it's a beautiful little story, and I thought I'd share.

Thank you!
    http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ugca99t2yhtat452

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Oh, so that's why Seventeen ended up in the camp.

• Options
    VersenVersen Registered User new member
    Just created an account (marathon-ed this comic in about an hour or two, love it)

But yeah. As its been pointed out, that is (was) a moonshine still. Very troubling. Glad she seems ok though.

• Options
    currypcurryp Registered User regular
    Ok, I guess it's now : "direction The Camp !"

• Options
    markutismarkutis Registered User new member
    I feel a Garfield and Nermal situation coming on. Seventeen's siblings are going to put her in a box, write "TO: Abu Dhabi" er, "Camp Weedonwantcha" and off she'll go!

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    ahh... the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back; she didn't cause the incident, but her proximity allowed the consequences to be associated to her.
    ... but it is nice to see that Polly at least tried to protect 17, instead of herself.

And for your viewing pleasure: the north end of a southbound kitteh <3

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    So she was Seventeen before she even came to camp. Interesting. The backstory is deeper than we can fathom. Unless it comes out in her memories as they root her out.

• Options
    DasilodaviDasilodavi Registered User regular
    My speculation is that she's the seventeenth child in a large family, apparently one that makes moonshine. Kind of like Cletus' family from The Simpsons.

• Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Easy kitty gets an early running start from the explosion

• Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Isn't speculating that she is from a large family that makes moonshine at this point like speculating that the sky is blue? Did I miss some other possible explanation for the last couple comics that I am not catching up to?

• Options
    MrNumbersMrNumbers Registered User regular
    "I just know I'm going to be blamed for this, but in my defense... Tag! You're it!"

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    How do you think these people learn of the camp?

I am going to continue to speculate the camp is out of time and space. Possibly the kids do not physically age at camp and in fact the kids might be from different times.

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    That escalated quickly o_o;

• Options
    PsycheRachPsycheRach Registered User regular
    Aw man, this is so sad!
    Cute little Seventeen, just being adorable.

• Options
    Mjolnir74Mjolnir74 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    At least we don't have to see her being miserable at the camp in the last pane of this comic.

@INVISIBLE Brochures.

Mjolnir74 on
  • Options
    Sovoq113Sovoq113 Registered User regular
    It's hard to tell whether she really does care for Seventeen or not, at least she still tries to protect her though.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Seventeen done blowed up the whiskey still. Now I sympathize with the older, wiser siblings.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Victor GrunnVictor Grunn Registered User regular
    It's interesting to see Polly actually kind of conflicted about this, even if she clearly just walked over the line to 'yep, get rid of her.' Hell, even the surly looking brother frankly said 'It's better for her', and look at these guys - it really is.

• Options
    ziozio Registered User new member
    so... assuming that the camp really is purgatory... she died in the explosion.

• Options
    NigelNigel Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    So were they distilling moonshine? The jars Polly was holding looked to be full of clear liquid and that would also be justified by how back-woods that family seems to be.

Nigel on
  • Options
    darthmidget15darthmidget15 Registered User regular
    I got it, 17 is 17 because 17 is the 17th kid at the moonshine distillers house :p

• Options
    PapadocPapadoc Registered User new member
    For all those saying "Seventeen" is the Seventeenth kid, you might be right.

But Seventeen isn't her name because if you check under the "meet the campers" section of the website you'll see that only Seventeen doesn't have a fancy nameplate under her picture, unlike Malachi and Brian.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    streever wrote: »
    Katie, this immediately brought to mind the Interactive Fiction game 'Ollie Ollie Oxen Free', in which the protagonist helps children navigate a crisis situation following a bombing.

Not sure if you're interested in IF at all, but it's a beautiful little story, and I thought I'd share.

Thank you!
    http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ugca99t2yhtat452
    Apparently, it used to be used as a way to say a game of hide and seek was over. I know this due to having just checked a page on Halopedia because I thought this was a Halo reference. :p

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    hopefully we never learn what the nature of the Camp truly is. My fear is that the "magic" will be gone. Just like in the series Lost. It was fun to watch, untill we knew the truth

• Options
    Ilze123 wrote: »
    hopefully we never learn what the nature of the Camp truly is. My fear is that the "magic" will be gone. Just like in the series Lost. It was fun to watch, untill we knew the truth
    It's a place where people go to abandon their kids, duh. Unless you were referring to something else?

• Options
    DecapDecap Registered User new member
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's a place where people go to abandon their kids, duh. Unless you were referring to something else?
    Well, there's the fact we haven't seen a living adult yet.

• Options
    XMinusOneXMinusOne Registered User regular
    Okay, how did Seventeen's siblings know about the camp and how did she get there?

With each strip that's posted, I'm more convinced the camp is some sort of sanctuary for children's souls that have died; possibly violently. Not a Purgatory per se, but rather a way station so they can enjoy the childhood denied them by their early deaths before proceeding to Heaven with the adults.

For instance: I don't recall seeing anyone eating, have you?

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    Decap wrote: »

What I meant to say was that part of the fun is the speculation what is happening in the story. When we know the true nature of the camp, the speculation stops. At this point two things can happen.
    - the fun stops
    - it is just one veil of mystery gone and we still don't know half of it (and we continue to speculate)

• Options
    Yeah.
    Because none of them are gonna stop by the camp for any longer than it takes to toss their kid out of the car.
    XMinusOne wrote: »
    For instance: I don't recall seeing anyone eating, have you?
    No, but they clearly can pee and poop, and it'd be odd to take away eating but leave those in there.
    What I meant to say was that part of the fun is the speculation what is happening in the story. When we know the true nature of the camp, the speculation stops. At this point two things can happen.
    - the fun stops
    - it is just one veil of mystery gone and we still don't know half of it (and we continue to speculate)
    Personally, I want to see the campers trying to survive. Getting a food supply, finding ways to ward of predators, that sort of thing. Keep up the comedy as the A plot, but have that kinda serious survival stuff as an interesting B plot.

• Options
    cmgreenecmgreene Registered User regular
    Too sad.

• Options
    ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Pinhead:"Time to play !"