As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving cities and renting (UK/Norwich edition) What do we do with our stuff?

TPSouTPSou MrRegistered User regular
So after a few years in London I'm moving back to Norwich with my partner, where we've (hopefully) secured a pretty cool flat in the centre.

Only problem is that the flat is fully furnished (including a big wall mounted HDTV) and we've got a lot of stuff. In particular I have a big HDTV (that's probably better than the one in the flat) but we've been told we can't take their one down or replace it (it's wall mounted).

What should I do with all our stuff? At the moment we have the TV (a 42" LG LED TV, worth about £500 new), another much older 32" LCD tv, a sofa, a massive armchair, an entire set of garden furniture (that sadly won't fit on our balcony) and then various other bits and bobs that we probably don't need. We'll be living at this new place indefinitely, so I don't really want to pay out for storage, but the real question is do we try and fit it in somehow in our new place, do we try and sell it (not sure how to sell that kind of hard-to-move stuff) or do we just recycle it/give it away?

Any ideas? Also, any PA people in Norwich, make yourselves known!

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Moved from Norwich a few years ago. Do miss it, great city (prince of wales on a friday night one of the few exceptions).

When I moved I just sold all my big items like sofas and such to friends/family for knock down prices just to shift them. Flat panel TVs are pretty easy to find space for if you dont want to sell them, I've got a spare currently in the loft. Or just wall mount them in a spare bedroom?

If the place is furnished and will remain so I wouldn't worry about keeping bits in storage (unless its really expensive stuff), it'll be more hassle then its worth in the long run. I would try to sell, then closer to the move date just give away. But that depends on your financials.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Sadly every bedroom and the lounge already has a TV in it that comes with a flat ( I guess that's not really 'sadly' but you know, first world problems) so we definitely need to get rid of the TVs.

We got an inventory just come through and this house has everything, like even crockery and things like that. If anyone is in London and wants to buy everything you need to live, let me know. Selling this stuff seems more trouble than it's worth.

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    The electronics will depreciate in value pretty fast, so by the time you actually have use for them again you will probably be tempted to get something more up to date anyway. They would be super easy to sell in London also, so I'd sell them.

When I moved to London I picked up an immaculate £500ish sofa off gumtree for about £20, though I had to collect it. The reason it was so cheap is I contacted him on the last day before he had to move out and he hadn't managed to sell it for more. My best guess is that if the furniture is in really good condition and you are patient/lucky you might be able to get a bit of money for it, otherwise probably not.

Ps. If the garden furniture is extremely nice, and you get to the point where you are going to throw it away let me know! I don't think there's anything else I even remotely need.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    I don't a thing about how this would work for you, but in the states that kind of stuff can be donated to a number of charity organizations, they'll give you a receipt, and you can claim it the next tax time.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Thank you! I think we'll look into selling the TV but we'll donate most of the other stuff.