As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread is old, use the new thread!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    "The Greatest Story Never Told" is a heretofore unseen type of quest wherein adventurers must employ their wits to solve riddles and unravel a great Eorzean mystery. With no guidance from the journal or duty list, adventurers must listen carefully to the words of NPCs and decipher clues to determine their next course of action.

Oh yesss.

Enlong on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    But now I won't be able to scream SHIELD OATH! at RibRib. :(

But that means an end to those awesome macros of a pig holding up shield oath and saying you forgot this!

Whyyyyy!!!

Nah we will still do those after every wipe just to remember the good old days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Go camping for a week.

come back, and there's these patch notes! And then I run one T1 and one t2 and get Earrings and Hat!

What a way to return.

I mean Gloves could've dropped from T1 instead of earrings but hey you know what I'll take it.

Khavall on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Is there any particular reason accessories aren't class restricted? You know, other than to allow a tank that hit 50 an hour ago to queue for Coil with Piety jewelry?

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    how much training do you really need to wear a pair of earrings? or a bracelet?

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason accessories aren't class restricted? You know, other than to allow a tank that hit 50 an hour ago to queue for Coil with Piety jewelry?

I'm kinda glad they're not, as it's allowing me to build a more stable supply of materia to use/sell.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Enlong wrote: »
    "The Greatest Story Never Told" is a heretofore unseen type of quest wherein adventurers must employ their wits to solve riddles and unravel a great Eorzean mystery. With no guidance from the journal or duty list, adventurers must listen carefully to the words of NPCs and decipher clues to determine their next course of action.

Oh yesss.

Time to brush up on morse code again...

edit: The Secret World has quests like this. Except they're not just 'listen to the NPCs' they're 'notice the headlights are flashing morse code and read the message, oh wait it's in code, hope you have some basic cryptography tucked away in your head'.

Kamar on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    They added the ability to toggle target hp percentages on......

Game changer.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dudes: how the fuck do I spend the points my chocobo earns? Help doesn't tell me. All the guides just assume I know where it is. I can't find a button or a screen or anything. I just get messages that he's leveled and got some more points.

Edit: Found it. They removed the freaking button in the character screen. Those assholes.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Game changer.

So no more ambiguity about boss phase changes.

Hurray!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Game changer.

So no more ambiguity about boss phase changes.

Hurray!

There was never any ambiguity.

You just had to have at least one person in your group using ACT or FF14 App.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Welp, headed off to the rest of the world.

This first look at the empire is so many things. It's, like, Star Wars and FFXII with some FFVI and FFVII thrown in.

Anyway, I now have Conjurer. Time to grind that job, though I appreciate the EXP bonuses given to classes below your maximum level.

• Options
    I'm a Bard!

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, I didn't post at the time, but I hit 50 Fisher the other night. Yesterday I spent about 600k melding the Fisher AF set optimally (with one minor screwup that cost me 90k), only had two fails during the overmelds, costing me a grade 1 (big deal) and a grade 3 (ouch). Second attempt succeeded on both though, so that was good. I haven't bothered with accessories, mostly because rough ballpack I think it would cost me around 1M gil to do it for 25 gather/25 perception, and that's with having to do 5 grade 3 overmelds. I did see in the patch notes that there are some new accessories for gather/craft, though we have no idea what stats they have yet. At least there's a new belt to replace that level 48 belt, though it would be nice if the right-side items had some damn fishing stats on them, gathering/perception. Speaking of, why the hell do some of the Fisher AF pieces and even the Master Fisher's ring you can get have +GP on them when GP literally does nothing at all for fishers? So stupid.

Anyway, I started on the Beast of Brewer's Beacon quest, though I'm having pretty shitty luck thus far and cannot catch the Titanic Sawfish, I think the requirements are a little too god damn ridiculous. I haven't even seen a HQ wahoo yet, every time I pull in a HQ off the goby mooch it's always a damn silver shark. The sawfish is also going for about 90k on the market board, but I'd rather catch it myself...

In the meantime, I had started fishing at Oschon's Torch, though I wasn't sure if the Brewer's Beacon quest was some sort of gate and the big fish wouldn't be catachable until I completed it, but after I went there my second time, I eventually started getting big fish catches. Caught a couple of mahi-mahi and then pulled in a HQ silver sovereign, my first time seeing a sovereign so that was fairly lucky. I caught one more HQ sovereign in that session, haven't caught any since. I have about 8-10 NQ sovereigns and have had 2 or 3 get away which I assume were HQ. So, at least when the weather/time of day isn't right for the sawfish I can hang out and try my luck at more sovereigns anyway.

Now, I also saw in the patch notes that there's some sort of upgraded Halcyon Rod that's ilvl 75. Though we have no details on how to acquire it yet, I wasn't totally sure if I should continue trying to get the Forager's Rod or not, though it's also possible that whatever you have to do to get the upgraded Halcyon Rod will require some pretty insane stats, so you might need the Forager's to even be able to get it I suppose.

Anyway, that's fishing.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Ready for old Ramuh Ex! Hadn't ever attempted Mog Ex until today...only took a few tries thanks to some FC mates. Fun fight. Won't mind if I never do it again.

For the first time since the game came out, I'm prepped for the new content and not three months behind.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Oh, right, you guys wanted my in-game name for purposes of ading to the Free Company, right?

My character's name is Totoruo Memeruo.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I still have Titan EX, Ifrit EX and Leviathan EX (then King Moggle Mog Mog the 13th Mog EX)

On the plus side, the last week has been rather productive for me on the crafting front. Goldsmithing from 17 to 40, Leatherworking from 20 to 40 and Botany from 27 to 31 so now I can pick my own Flax and make some gear on my weaver for levelling LTW and GSM to 50 once I get some leve allocations back (went from 100 to 16). Thanks to Lilio (whom I expect to see as a Lala with a name like that, not a Miquo'te) for the LTW from 30 to 40 because I couldn't be bothered spending another hour or two just so that I can right-click -> repair my WHM's gear :3

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Oh, right, you guys wanted my in-game name for purposes of ading to the Free Company, right?

Tried to add you but I think you are offline at the moment :(

If you hop back on i'll ge tyou in otherwise just inspect anyone with a <GHOST> tag and then click the Ghost in the Linkshell name and put in an application and I can approve it if you are online or not I think.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    Trying to get back into the game. Haven't played since a month after the game released. Got goldsmith culinarian mining fishing and herbalist at 50 and arcanist at 40.. Is there a group I can join or a way to relearn everything?

Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the garden, but to raise funds you guys *might* want to allow FC members to buy Primal wins from the higher ups/other people who have cleared it at a price that is much lower than what other groups are offering. (700k for a single primal kill).

Might be a good way to do it. I know I'd buy a T5 kill, but I'd also volunteer to run people through all EX primals as well. Could solve the pesky people still stuck behind Titan ( I know that goes away Tuesday, but Ramuh is behind Levi and Mog Ex). Anyways, just an idea for a way to raise money.

I know it's a large FC so it's difficult to help people out with the numbers, but I think it would be a good way to bring it together. I also know so few people will get to mess with airships/housing/etc (which is fine), so this might give them some incentive to donate.

I posted this on the other forum, but thought I'd put it here too. There's obviously a shit ton of people in the guild and many are still gated/will be gated behind content. This could be a way to raise money for the FC which doesn't take too much time.

700k is waaaaay to much money for any ex clear, so I think people would respond to this. I'd even volunteer to help run people through primals to help raise cash.

edit:

I for one still one to collect more primal weapons as well as mounts. I would totally help out. You could schedule it for once a week and run multiple people through. Don't know, just an idea.

Grove on
  • Options

With a name like that, I expect that your first level 50 is Alchemist. Adventuring can come later.

• Options
    Grove wrote: »
    I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the garden, but to raise funds you guys *might* want to allow FC members to buy Primal wins from the higher ups/other people who have cleared it at a price that is much lower than what other groups are offering. (700k for a single primal kill).

Might be a good way to do it. I know I'd buy a T5 kill, but I'd also volunteer to run people through all EX primals as well. Could solve the pesky people still stuck behind Titan ( I know that goes away Tuesday, but Ramuh is behind Levi and Mog Ex). Anyways, just an idea for a way to raise money.

I know it's a large FC so it's difficult to help people out with the numbers, but I think it would be a good way to bring it together. I also know so few people will get to mess with airships/housing/etc (which is fine), so this might give them some incentive to donate.

I posted this on the other forum, but thought I'd put it here too. There's obviously a shit ton of people in the guild and many are still gated/will be gated behind content. This could be a way to raise money for the FC which doesn't take too much time.

700k is waaaaay to much money for any ex clear, so I think people would respond to this. I'd even volunteer to help run people through primals to help raise cash.

edit:

I for one still one to collect more primal weapons as well as mounts. I would totally help out. You could schedule it for once a week and run multiple people through. Don't know, just an idea.

I'm not opposed to it per-say, but I definitely would rather the FC just help those people who need it instead of charging for it. I know a few of us try to do this on a regular basis when we can.

If there are a fair amount of people who still need them we can organize a big day to get them done, but if people really want to pay i'm not gonna stop them :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I am expecting that I'll need to buy my EX kills, giving that my latency might make stuff like Titan EX completely impossible. I watched a video of the fight to check it out.

...yeah.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Someone tell me what possessed me to start leveling up CNJ, other than the OCD of getting all the mage classes to 50.

Hold on, I need to queue up for my roule-

*CHING* DUTY READY: COMMENCE/WITHDRAW

...nevermind, I remember now.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »

edit:

I'm not opposed to it per-say, but I definitely would rather the FC just help those people who need it instead of charging for it. I know a few of us try to do this on a regular basis when we can.

If there are a fair amount of people who still need them we can organize a big day to get them done, but if people really want to pay i'm not gonna stop them :)

Yeah I mean me too and the FC has been great, I was just thinking maybe a one time, one day thing. Donate X and we'll get you through whatever. Just a one off.

• Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    Someone tell me what possessed me to start leveling up CNJ, other than the OCD of getting all the mage classes to 50.

Hold on, I need to queue up for my roule-

*CHING* DUTY READY: COMMENCE/WITHDRAW

...nevermind, I remember now.

I became a CNJ because of the robes :3

Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I am expecting that I'll need to buy my EX kills, giving that my latency might make stuff like Titan EX completely impossible. I watched a video of the fight to check it out.

...yeah.
    Where are you from? Latency isn't too bad from Aus, though I do notice enough of a difference when I have my ping mitigation on to the point that I don't want to do fights without it if I can avoid it, not that it's impossible to do the encounters without it.

FFXIV has IMHO two things that make ... 'unoptimal' latencies not as unforgiving as say, some WoW mechanics (so far). The first is that combat is slower paced. GCDs and common casts are 2.5s which puts a cap on how fast the developers can expect you to be able to react to an event. The second is that every ability worthy of note is telegraphed by either a long cast bar or the abilities are used in a clockwork rotation. Titan? Learn the rotation, and you'll never be caught with your pants down. No, don't stand there and cast a second Medica after the Mountain Buster -> Tumults, he's going to use Weight of the Land so you better be prepared to move.

• Options
    Well, I play a Bard so mobility is not an issue. I think the bombs will get me. Atm I basically have .5 of a second to react to his landslides on normal, or I eat it. If the cast times are the same on EX then I have a shot at it, but it's going to be a learning experience.

I'm almost 44 :) hope to start doing stuff in the 50 scene this weekend.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I got to 49 yesterday and did the 49 boss battle. Where it's your first battle with a team of eight as opposed to four.
    I said I'd tank the boss, and so we went for it, and we wiped when he had a third of health left. Everyone was just running everywhere. All DPS were on the boss with no-one focusing on adds. I saw IMMEDIATELY what we were doing wrong.

So, second time round (and remember i have never done this before), I split the group up. I told one healer to focus on me, the other to focus on the other tank. They said "sure thing!"
    Then i said to the DPS "You and you focus on the adds, you and you focus on the boss with me. We'll keep ourselves split so that we don't end up dragging damage across each other." They agreed too, and then i charged and lead us all in to battle while giving the odd order of "ok adds have arrived, split in to the groups i said!"

I felt like a real heroic leader, and felt tanking had finally fully clicked with me. Probably one of my favourite moments in the game so far.

Edit: I should also say one of the healers bitched a little afterwards. I didn't realise i had to dodge the rockets he shot in to the air. I just ate them up and it didn't bother me so much. I wasn't dying or coming close. He complained about this afterwards and said "You only stayed alive because I KEPT you alive", which i thought was funny because... y'know... that's actually his only job.

Quical on
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Actually, his job is to heal the damage you can't mitigate/avoid :P

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Had a blast this past weekend. GHOST is so nice and helpful, they ran me through on Garuda HM and Titan HM for my Relic, as well as gifted me gear to queue up for the darn things.

Man...I love this guild. Way better than my WoW days.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    So, who's been collecting furniture for their private rooms? Should be neat to see what people come up with.

• Options
    Is there a site that lists different sets for each Job going by Item Level? I love collecting "tier" pieces and all I know of is:
    Artifact Armor
    Darklight Armor
    That armor that costs Myth tombs (Whats that called?)
    Then....????? (Whats the next step after the one above?)

• Options
    Artifact 2 and Soldiery.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yukira wrote: »
    Artifact 2 and Soldiery.

What about stuff from CT or Coil?
    So a bit of investigation for Dragoon, I got a list that goes like this:
    -Artifact Armor
    -Darklight Armor
    -Onion Gear (Crystal Tower)
    -Allagan Armor (1st Coil)
    -Artifact 2 Armor
    -Soldiery Armor
    -High Allagan Armor (2nd Coil)

Riokenn on
  • Options
    CT gear, Allagan (First binding coil) and High Allagan (Second binding coil).

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    So, who's been collecting furniture for their private rooms? Should be neat to see what people come up with.

I've been hording stuff my retainers bring me, so it's going to be um... Yeah.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    More info on Hunts directly from Yoshi P

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178148-Letter-from-the-Producer-LVII-(07-07-2014)
    Yoshi P wrote:
    Letter from the Producer, LVII (07/07/2014)

Hello again, to all of you FFXIVers out there!

These past few months have been a whirlwind of events and late nights at the office, but with patch 2.3 just around the corner, players would be at my door with torches and pitchforks if I didn't take time to deliver my fifty-seventh Letter from the Producer.

Attending last month's E3 event, we had the opportunity to meet with a number of media outlets, fellow game developers, and most importantly you, our players. We stayed quite busy during our stay in Los Angeles, but it was a fantastic experience, to say the least.

It was also the opportune time to reveal Rogue and Ninja, the new class and job making their debut in patch 2.4. Staying tight-lipped about such exciting news is really hard for me, and during every interview or Q&A session before the reveal, I could hear the dev team in my head shouting "Don't spoil it before E3!" Now that the secret's out, it's like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

But patch 2.4 is still a few months away, so let's talk about what's coming now─Patch 2.3 - Defenders of Eorzea! My final checks of the patch are complete, and thanks to the amazing work of our team, everything is prepped and ready to go for a July 8 release. It's just a day away, so hold on a little bit longer.

Patch 2.3 brings a lot to the table with new dungeons, system features, items, and recipes. After watching the trailer, I'm sure many of you are still deciding where to begin. While you continue to consider your options, I'd like to shine the spotlight on one new system in particular: the Hunt.

The Hunt, a new initiative started by the Eorzean Alliance, will have adventurers tracking down and defeating notorious monsters roaming the land referred to as "elite marks," as well as visiting the Hunt board at each of the Grand Companies for bounties being offered to quell the lesser threats found in Eorzea. While any monster with a bounty on its head is considered a "mark," an elite mark, as the name implies, poses a much greater threat to the realm.

745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_0.png
    745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_1.png

Take this guy for instance. Although I managed to take a few screenshots, it wasn't long before our eyes met, and I was introduced to his gargantuan club. Needless to say, I died instantly, but it was worth it to give you all an idea of what new dangers await in patch 2.3.

Elite marks can appear in any area, with some of them appearing only when certain conditions are met. Add to that the fact that they won't always appear in the exact same spot. You'll also come across hunter-scholars in each area, who are more than willing to share with you what they know of the elite marks you're after.

745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_2.png

They may even offer a hint on how to track down your prey, so be sure to keep an eye out.

Players who defeat these elite marks will be rewarded with Allied Seals, which can be exchanged for various items and gear at your Grand Company's headquarters.

745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_3.png

There are no weekly restrictions on how many seals you can acquire, so those of you feeling especially heroic are more than welcome to venture out and defeat as many marks as you can find.

Which reminds me, I know a lot of players have been concerned this will be like back in the day, where one player or party would claim an enemy, and lock everyone else out from getting a reward. You'll be happy to know that the Hunt was not designed with any such claiming system in mind. In fact, some of the elite marks are so powerful, it would be in your best interest to shout for help before trying to lay a hand on them. I've also heard the more elusive elite marks drop rare items as well. These rare items are distributed on a player-by-player basis, so don't hesitate to reach for a helping hand.

I think that covers the basics of elite marks, so let me tell you a bit more about the Hunt board.

The Grand Companies have made every effort to protect the peoples of their respective nations, but there are still many threats they simply can't handle on their own. This is why they've created the Hunt board, where bounties are posted for monsters deemed to be a threat that can't be ignored. Players will find two types of bounties posted on these boards.

1. Regular mark bills, denoting lesser enemies they would have you exterminate that day.
    (Regular mark bills will indicate different enemies for every player.)

745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_4.png

2. Elite mark bills, denoting more dangerous enemies they would have you exterminate within a week.
    (Elite mark bills will indicate the same enemy for all players)

745359fee02120b9546e2fa051d67aeb752b5a65_5.png

Regular mark bills will have you exterminating enemies commonly found around Eorzea, some of which may include bosses from FATEs. Elite mark bills will have you tracking down one of the lower ranked elite marks once per week. Both regular and elite mark bills offer a reward of gil and Allied Seals, the latter being a reward in addition to the Allied Seals yielded by elite mark enemies.

So for those of you looking to amass large quantities of Allied Seals, you can acquire as many as you'd like from hunting down elite marks. Just be warned that sometimes they can be hard to find, and even harder to kill. Players who don't have quite as much time on their hands, however, can use the Hunt board to slowly build up Allied Seals at their own pace.

So band together with your fellow adventurers, and seek out the most dangerous enemies the realm has to offer.

But there's more to patch 2.3 than just the Hunt. With Ramuh, Frontline, Crystal Tower, desynthehsis, and new recipes coming, my free company members are all excited thinking about what to do first. As for me, I've recently gotten into tanking, and having recently reached level 50 with my Paladin and Warrior, I'm looking to get some high level gear. Patch 2.3 is definitely packed with plenty to do.

But I may have to wait for a while, as I'm currently in Paris, France.
    (Sure, a trip to Paris sounds cool, but you know me─all work and no play.)
    I'm attending Japan Expo, where we're holding a battle challenge for the first time in France. I'll also have about 12 interviews over the course of my two day stay, but it will be worth it to meet all of our fans in France.

See you next time, at the F.A.T.E. in Sendai, and at China Joy 2014!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And for those wondering "Where do I go to get ______________ unlocked in 2.3?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a1dpz/23_patch_starting_quest_chart/

Someone put together a nice compilation of the info in an easy to reference format.

Also in a nice image format

X9MrGxQ.png

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I figure they'll be an LS setup for elite hunts. If anyone gets into one, I would like to join.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    I figure they'll be an LS setup for elite hunts. If anyone gets into one, I would like to join.

Same here that sounds like a good idea. Maybe we should start one?

delphinidaes.png