As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-logo.png

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat a dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the land of Skyrim in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the king. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series is continued in Skyrim, as the player character can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.

Information & Tips

General performance tips: In the game's launcher, disable traditional anti-aliasing and enable FXAA instead. And under its View Distance tab, check the Object Detail Fade box.

Double Skyrim's maximum grass distance with (possibly) little to no performance loss! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and change the "fGrassStartFadeDistance=" value from 7000 (its max in the launcher/in-game display options) to 14000. You won't see any difference between 14000 and higher values, but 7000 to 14000 is a fantastic improvement.

Increase Skyrim's grass density! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and add "iMinGrassSize=20" under the [GRASS] heading.

How to use Bethesda's HD texture pack with all your current texture mods! Disable "HighResTexturePack01.esp" and "HighResTexturePack02.esp" in Skyrim's launcher. Next, open "steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini" and "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini" and change the following entry to look like this:

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

Mods & Downloads

[SKYRIM]

If there's a mod not in this list that you feel should be, send me a PM and I'll check it out.

Most of the descriptions below have been taken from their pages.

Every Skyrim in-game book, available in Kindle and e-pub format.

Nexus Mod Manager - The Nexus Mod Manager is a free and open source piece of software that allows you to download, install, update and manage your mods through an easy to use interface.

Mod Organizer - Mod Organizer is similar to the Nexus Mod Manager but provides a more advanced and ultimately hassle-free experience.

Skyrim Script Extender - Required for many advanced mods

BOSS - BOSS is designed to assist mod users in avoiding serious conflicts, by setting the correct load order for the plugins they have installed.

LOOT - The Load Order Optimization Tool (LOOT) automates load order sorting. Unlike BOSS, it looks at what a mod changes in relation to what other mods change.

Wrye Bash - This is an advanced tool that allows you to merge mods and leveled lists together.

Skyrim GEMS - Skyrim GEMS is a 1-page, quick-reference catalog of lore-friendly gameplay enhancement mods for Skyrim with a focus on mods that create a more realistic, immersive and challenging experience.

INTERFACE

SkyUI - SkyUI is mod that aims to improve Skyrim's User Interface by making it easier to use with mouse and keyboard (it can also be used with a gamepad), less wasteful of available screen space and nicer to look at.

Immersive HUD - iHUD hides interface elements when not needed, and is fully configurable.

A Quality World Map - With Roads - This mod replaces the map with high resolution textures that also includes optional roads.

GAMEPLAY

Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay - Perk/leveling overhaul mod

Alternative Start - Live Another Life - Live Another Life provides an alternative means to start the game for those who do not wish to go through the lengthy intro sequence at Helgen. You will be given the opportunity to choose your race and then choose a new life for your character to lead.

ASIS - This mod increases the difficulty of combat by giving the AI access to more potions, perks and spells, improving their general intelligence, and includes options to increase and randomize their spawns.

The Dance of Death - The Dance of Death is a new kill moves mod built from the ground up. It adds around 25 new/reassigned kill moves against NPC's not already included in the 1.5 patch to virtually all of the combat styles and situations. Fully customizable.

Dual Wield Parrying - This allows the player to block while dual wielding.

Sneak Tools - This mod aims to improve stealth gameplay by adding new tools and options for the player, such as different types of arrows inspired by the Thief series.

Amazing Follower Tweaks - AFT gives you more control over your followers while also making them less prone to stupidity.

Deadly Dragons - This mod overhauls dragons making them a much tougher challenge, as well as introducing more than a dozen new types of dragons to fight.

Magic Duel - It lets you get into Dragonball Z energy beam fights with other mages.

Dragon Soul Relinquishment - This mod allows you to spend dragon souls to improve some of your character abilities.

When Vampires Attack - A small mod that makes citizens in a village or city run indoors during a random vampire attack. This includes eclipse attacks as well.

Run for Your Lives - A small mod that makes citizens in a village or city run indoors during a dragon attack.

Immersive Patrols - Adds fully functional, scheduled patrols of almost every major faction across all DLCs, including Stormcloaks, Thalmor, Imperials, Dawnguard, Travelers, Merchants, Bandits, Skaal, Redoran, Reavers and Rieklings without cluttering the world. Now also includes Warzones like battles with fort capture behavior.

Note: Use only one of the following magic overhaul mods. Do not use with SPERG, as that modifies all perk trees and not just magic.

Better Magic - The Better Magic series is a group of magic changes that was built simplistically in order to make it compatible with as many mods as possible.

Empowered Magic - This mod changes some mechanics related to general spell casting, as well as perks and spells in all schools of magic, making them scale with level and also more balanced.

Note: Use only one of the following two combat overhaul mods.

Duel - Combat Realism - Duel Combat Realism is a mod that improves the combat system of Skyrim, making them more realistic.

Deadly Combat - The mod makes the combat in Skyrim faster-paced, more responsive and realistic and more rewarding to skilled players.

WEAPONS, ARMORS & ITEMS

Bandolier - Bags and Pouches - This mod adds many new items that will increase carry weight and appear visually on your character.

JaySus Swords - This mod adds a large variety of new, high quality swords for you to craft.

Weapons of the Third Era - This mod contains a pack of 50+ new weapons (not replacements) with Morrowind-themed designs. They are added to the loot tables and so you can find them on enemies you encounter, and several can be crafted, as well.

Immersive Armors - This adds many new custom armors that have been seamlessly integrated into the world.

Immersive Weapons - This adds many new custom weapons that have been seamlessly integrated into the world.

Omegared99 Armor Compilation - Omegared99's compilation adds 14 high quality, lore friendly armors to the game.

Cloaks of Skyrim - This mod adds almost 100 new styles of cloak to the world of Skyrim, via crafting, levelled-lists, and static loot. They are lore-friendly and enchantable, and more are being added with every update.

Winter is Coming - Cloaks - Winter is Coming adds new cloaks, hoods, capes, scarves and wraps to the game's leveled and crafting lists, and is fully compatible with Cloaks of Skyrim.

Wearable Lanterns - Adds a craftable, wearable, Travel Lantern that can be hooked onto your belt or carried in your hand!

Tamriel Compendium - Tamriel Compendium adds 177 books that were present in past Elder Scrolls games but not included in Skyrim.

NEW QUESTS, LOCATIONS & NPCs

Moonpath to Elswyer - Moonpath adds an entirely new landmass to explore in Skyrim, the deserts and lush jungles of Elsweyr, and features entirely new assets, items, voice work, quests and creatures.

Wyrmstooth - A new voice acted questline that takes you across Skyrim to the large island of Wyrmstooth.

Interesting NPCs - This mod adds more than 90 voiced NPCs with nearly 20,000 lines and over 300,000 words of player and NPC dialogue, and new quests and companions.

Falskaar - Falskaar is a new lands mod that adds an entirely new worldspace. It adds roughly 20+ hours of content, and favors all types of characters.

SOUNDS

Fantasy Soundtrack Project - Fantasy Soundtrack Project provides 10+ hours of new music for Skyirm.

Audio Overhaul - AOS is an extensive sound overhaul aiming to make the soundscape more immersive, clear, responsive, impactful and ultimately fun, while always aiming for maximum compatibility (more-so than Sounds of Skyrim), performance and coherency with the main game.

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons - The Dungeons includes 115+ sound effects to add life to the dungeons.

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds - The Wilds focuses on adding sound effects in Skyrim's wilderness. With the 115 new sound effects, the purpose of The Wilds is to audibly enlarge Skyrim's fauna with the addition of various animals, birds and insects that play according to weather, time of day and region.

Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization - Civilization focuses on adding 223 new sound effects to cities, villages, farms and remote locations where civilization is present.

VISUALS: ENVIRONMENTS & WEATHER

SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated distant waterfalls and mills

Perfect Whiterun - This mod adds pines in Whiterun and its immediate surroundings and replaces its old textures with forest textures.

Texture Pack Combiner - The Texture Pack Combiner (TPC) merges the three popular texture packs - Skyrim HD 2K, Serious HD Retexture and Skyrim Realistic Overhaul - together. It also supports the merging of 33 optional mods, putting them all together into a single, fully compatible and load-order free package.

Enhanced Night Skyrim - This mod replaces the night sky with a beautiful, high resolution one.

Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel - Climates of Tamriel is a weather and lighting overhaul mod for Skyrim. Note: This can be used with ENB mods.

WATER - Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux - WATER, Pure Waters and Realistic Water 2 provide water and related systems/objects with a complete overhaul. Choose only one.

Pure Waters

Realistic Water 2

Watercolor for ENB and Realistic Water 2 - This is just a simple plugin to change the color of the water making the Sunscattering effect of ENBseries more visible.

Lanterns of Skyrim - This mod adds lanterns and other light sources around the world of Skyrim - along its traveled paths, towns and bridges.

Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 - This small texture mod enhances the distant low-detail terrain by upping the amount of noise and quality of the the texture maps.

Better Dynamic Snow - A mod that changes the ugly, pure-white dynamic snow effect to actually use the default snow texture (landscape\snow01.dds). This minor change greatly improves the visual appearance of dynamic snow.

Footprints - Adds footprints to the snow from the player, NPCs, and creatures.

Vurt's Skyrim Flora Overhaul - Skyrim Flora Overhaul is a WIP mod project dedicated to overhauling the Skyrim flora.

Grass on Steroids - This mod increases the density of grass without impacting performance. It is compatible with SFO.

Moss Rocks - It adds dynamic moss to rocks.

Natural Grass Texture Floor - An HD texture replacer for the ground

Lush Trees and Grass - This enhances the world's foliage by making it look fuller and more lush. It is compatible with with SFO's Basic edition.

Real Ice - This mod retextures the ice/glaciers in the game, as well as adding parallax mapping to their surfaces. Note: This or something similar is included with WATER.

Chopping Block / Wood Fires FIX - This mod fixes the missing textures on skyrim HD pack Chopping Blocks and replaces the ugly textures of Wood Fires.

Revamped Exterior Fog - This mod makes distance fog 50% thinner, making for a better view and more subtle blending with the skyline, and pushes the fog start distance further away.

Static Mesh Improvement - This mod edits many 3D models to improve their appearance and to fix many of the ugly seams and other oddities present in many of the 3D models. Note: If using Better Dynamic Snow, install this after and select yes when it prompts you to replace.

Visible Windows - Visible Windows replaces the window glass (customizable), most frames, railings, and detailing with new, high resolution textures.

Supreme and Volumetric Fog - This mod tweaks the foggy weathers to make them more dense.

Supreme Storms - This mod tweaks the vanilla snow and rain storms weathers to make them more intense.

Ruins Clutter Improved - It improves the visual experience of catacombs and ruins by adding more detail to common clutter like pots, sconces, candles, doors and more.

VISUALS: CHARACTERS & EQUIPMENT

Enhanced Camera - This is a SKSE plugin that enables a visible body when in first person.

aMidianBorn Book of Silence - This mod re-textures nearly every weapon, armor, and unique piece of equipment with higher resolution textures.

XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement - XCE is a compilation of Xenius' character enhancement mods.

Xenius Character Enhancement - Dawnguard - This improves the textures for the new Dawnguard races and characters. It requires XCE.

Apachii Sky Hair - This mod adds new hairstyles for females and males.

Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - Superior Lore Friendly Hair is a texture replacer for vanilla hair.

Beards - An HD texture replacer for beards as well as adding new ones

Brows - An HD texture replacer for brows as well as adding new ones

Wet and Cold - This mod adds dynamic wet and cold related effects to characters and certain creatures, and now has similar features to Get Snowy.

Wet and Cold - Ashes - An addon for Wet and Cold, which extends cold effects support to Solstheim and adds various ash related effects.

Bijin Warmaidens - This mod changes the appearances of Lydia, Jordis, Iona, Aela, Mjoll, Uthgerd, Ria, Frea, Rayya and Njada.

VISUALS: LIGHTING

IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device - IMAGINATOR allows you to separately control visual elements like Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sky Brightness, Sunlight Output, Bloom and Tint all from within an easy-to-navigate helper spell.

Enhanced Lights and FX - Enhanced Lights and FX adds dynamic lights to all light sources and removing any light without a source, as well as the addition many more effects like smoke, volumetric lights, etc.

Realistic Colors and Real Nights - This mod use the power behind FXAA Post Process Injector to generate a new and realistic color palette and an enhanced night-time gameplay experience. It is much less system intensive than ENB-based mods.

Vividian ENB - Supports Climates of Tamriel, RCRN, Pure Weather, ELE and more

Serenity - Another highly customizable, easy to install ENB mod but very performance heavy

Enhanced Lighting for ENB - Lighting improvements for ENB

Note: ENBseries mods include a feature called SSAO, or Ambient Occlusion, which is a system intensive shadow rendering technique. For the best performance, you should disable it. You may have to do this manually, depending on the ENB mod you download, which you can do by opening your enbseries.ini file and changing the "EnableAmbientOcclusion=" variable to "false".

VISUALS: OTHER

Book Covers Skyrim - Book Covers Skyrim is a retexture of all the readable books, journals, and notes in Skyrim. It gives each book and journal its own unique cover and adds many additional paper styles to the notes.

Automatic Variants - AV provides an easy place to drag-and-drop alternate monster textures and have them automatically integrated into the game.

Enhanced Blood Textures - This mod adds a bloodier combat experience, with higher resolution and detailed textures.

Auto Unequip Ammo - This mod will automatically unequip ammo when ranged weapon is unequipped.

Deadly Spell Impacts - This mod gives fire, lightning, and frost spell impacts with their own unique textures, as well as improvements and variety to decal sizes.

Silly Level of Detail - Potions & Poisons - This mod replaces the textures for potions and poisons in the game.

Silly Level of Detail - Wine Cellar - This mod replaces the wine bottles and mead bottles in the game with higher quality ones.

[MORROWIND]

Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics - MGSO installs all the latest audio and graphical mods to the game through an easy to use application. You choose from a variety of different mods, and can make changes later with the press of a button through the same application and without having to start a fresh game. Included is a very detailed readme that will guide you through the install and setup process.

Screenshots

YrG5d.jpg

LCxoD.jpg

Lp6K9.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    (from previous thread)

@Dashui asked me to post my mod list again to see if he can figure out what's causing my crashes near Whiterun. It's not too different from the list I posted before, but it shows which mods I installed and which I left out.

pEoihtq.jpg

JFKBF3S.jpg

y56GzYw.jpg

DOAkkM2.jpg

WIgWE1F.jpg

VtweWHt.jpg

4bFy182.jpg

I took out "Tame the Beasts of Skyrim" thinking that might have been the cause, since it added a pet shop near Whiterun. I also made a new game and made Whiterun my starting town. That was looking hopeful as I was getting less stutter, but I soon CTD'd like usual.

I also used TES5Edit to clean the Update and DLC files, but left out any mods. They were verified clean by LOOT.

I also used PTDWrapper and followed the basic cleaning method.

The shaders error is the only one I would get on LOOT:

6SxTdty.jpg

And lastly, here's a log of my last crash after following all the steps above: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2bs795c593hnu9s/latest_error.docx

Really hope someone can pinpoint the cause here. I'm running out of ideas.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Grass Density eh?

I didn't do that but the better grass floor mod makes grass look so much more natural
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30164/?

nexuscrawler on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It's been awhile since I've updated the mod list, but for the most part it still doesn't need any revamping (I just removed a few outdated entries). I'll have to peruse the Nexus soon to see what's new and feel free to message me suggestions.

Dashui on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    @Enig I tried that Safety Load, and it's gotten me onto the mainland. Yay! Except now I get random CTDs. :neutral_face:. So, I think it's a mod or combination of mods, but I have NO idea what it is, since I counted it up and holy crap I got over 100 mods installed what's wrong with me.

steam_sig.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm stumped by an apparently unique Skryim lighting issue. Has anyone here seen this, or do you have any ideas about it?

Edit: Found that the light from the hanging chandelier in Angeline Aromatics also exhibits the issue, so it's not just portable light sources.
    Edit: Found a video and more info now that I learned more about its nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNUlWiXNlM
    http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6267-light-sources-turns-on-and-off/
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/skyrim-really-could-have-done-with-deferred-lighting.453718693/

Apparently Skyrim doesn't use deferred lighting and the engine is capped at rendering four non-ambient light sources at once. This is why it's easy to reproduce with portable lights -- take one into an area with enough lights, and there's one too many. I don't know why I only have the issue with the bFloatPointRenderTarget setting on, but as an engine limitation, no mod can fix it. I'm not even sure whether ENB with its rendering settings on can make the game properly render additional light sources.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
    @Dashui‌ Tiny little correction to the OP [remove being] that puts the game's release in the past tense.

Also there are some way better screenshots you could use, those ones are from like mid 2011 now:
    xsXAWoN.jpg
    JmpFgq7.jpg
    74CACC668744F71500471079FBB4C159EB7E092A
    506B648403C65EC9612C8B207100B7C1FD414350
    YJxdjVT.jpg
    Tl1eo2o.jpg
    UiqsPBl.jpg
    iUk4QOPfeBymX.jpg
    ibreDuE2YzoAwa.jpg
    screenshot12kysru.jpg

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Its crazy to think how long this game has been eating my time.

I got it day of release. I've played over 200 hours. Still finding new things and I have never completed the main quest.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Hell, I have 650 hours under my belt and still occasionally find something I've never seen before.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I like to check in and see what new stuff other folks have come across, although that's less common now that these threads are 95% PC mod tech support.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    (Because I hate to see a good post be lost at the last second)
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    So....what now? Download Nexus Mod Manager and go from there?
    Depends on how deep you're planning on going. Mod Organizer is a cleaner, more powerful tool than NMM is, but it takes a bit to get used to. If you think you're going to end up with a couple hundred mods installed, you may want to go ahead and just start with it. Transferring from NMM to MO once you're already setup is a bit of a pain. NMM, however, is perfectly fine if you don't need to juggle files around regularly.

Also Skyrim Stability Guide is very important.

I just wanted to comment on this really quickly. I switched to MO some months ago due to the recommendations from the folks in this thread, and while migrating my stuff over from NMM was a weekend-long project, the difference between the two is like night and day. If you're just starting out with modding, I heartily recommend installing MO over NMM; it's easier to start using MO from the start rather than migrating to it later, and installing additional mods later on - or installing two mods that overlap in what they modify - will be much easier to manage.

Let me quickly explain the difference between the two.

Some mods only add new content/modify content with the Creation Kit. Like, say, adding a themed weapon hidden in a barrel somewhere, or a farmer who sends you on a quest, or whatever. These mods are generally just packaged as self-contained ESP files, and these are easy to deal with: just check off the ones you want to load, uncheck the ones you don't want, you're good to go.

Some mods, on the other hand, modify certain things that ESP files don't cover. For example, all the mods that give you higher-resolution textures, or improve animations, or tweak meshes, etc. These mods come as files and folders nestled inside each other, and which must be unpacked into Skyrim's Data folder. Here's where things can get tricky: if you have two mods that happen two touch the same resource, then they will give you two files with the same name, and you will have to choose which one to use - which one to put into the appropriate folder under Data.

So let's say that you decide to install I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter (a fictional mod that I just made up, which improves the animation for butterflies) and En't No Thing (a fictional mod that I just made up, which overhauls the visuals for all insects in the game). Both of these mods will provide you with an animation file that represents the animation for the butterfly, and you will have to decide which one to use. Say you decide to use the one for I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter, because the guy who made it spent 15 years in Lepidoptera aerodynamics school, his animations are the bomb dot com. You'll tell NMM to install En't No Thing first, and then I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter; NMM will tell you that a file from the second mod conflicts with a mod from the first, and you'll tell NMM to go ahead and overwrite it. Now you're using all the new files from En't No Thing except for the butterfly animation, which comes from I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter. What happens if you later decide to get rid of I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter? You'll remove that file, but now your butterflies will have their base, offensive, gross animations. You'll basically need to reinstall En't No Thing to get back the butterfly animation that it provides.

Mod Organizer saves you this hassle. Rather than dumping all the mods and their associated resources directly into the Data folder, and then forcing you to pick and choose which individual resources to keep, MO will create a separate, isolated folder structure for each individual mod. So, En't No Thing will live in one folder, and I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter will live in another folder. Never will one of them overwrite the other in any way. Then, when you load up Skyrim, MO will fool Skyrim into thinking that the contents of the two separate folders are both in the Data folder, and Skyrim will load them up as normal; if there are any conflicts between mods (that is, if they modify the same resource), MO will tell Skyrim to load up resources from mods in the order that you specified, meaning that MO will tell Skyrim to load up the animations from I Can't Believe It's Not Flutter last, overriding the animations from En't No Thing. Crucially, though, the resources will both still exist on your harddrive, MO will just tell Skyrim "Hey, look over here for the butterfly animation, not over there". If you ever decide to disable a mod - even an insanely complicated mod, with thousands of files - it is as simple as unchecking a checkbox.

I highly, highly recommend MO. I don't think it's all that hard to set up, but if you run into any issues, you can ask in this thread, and we'll be happy to help. I think that the amount of flexibility and the safety net that MO gives you easily outweighs the setup costs.

And because I want my post to be seen again ;)
    May I make some recommendations folks? Non graphic things that may interest you yes?

Want a genuine XP based level up system that works? Try out the Skyrim Experience Mod. Its seems to work just fine with SPERG. And having just started a game with SPERG im loving it as well. There is another XP mod called SkyXP but It tends to bug out badly in the late game and ive never been able to get it to work in a consistent fashion.

Falskaar was alot better than it had any right to be. I probably wont play it again due to excessive unskippable dialog but it was definitely worth a run through.

And for my most beloved mod that I just found out about yesterday Dynamic Auto Sorting.
    You get 23 tokens to spread around your household of choice. Deposit your items into the storage container that sorts and walla! Everything goes in its place! Even better you can use your crafting stations without having to pick all your ingredients up if you use the built in spell to add the functionality to said stations! That last part ends up being kind of broken with the xp mod so I can't use it yet, but my next play through, you betcha!

Combine that with the Skyrim Adventurers Tent and you will have all the containers you need, along with crafting stations, a bed and its all portable!

edited July 2014
    Revenge of the Enemies overhaul and ASIS are really fun

ASIS is apparently a problem for some people since it's very script reliant and the install process is weird. Basically you run its stand alone program, it scans the mods you have installed and then builds itself a mod for your list. Its cool because any mods that gives you perks, potions or spells ASIS lets your enemies get access to them too. The increased spawns I mostly left alone for now.

nexuscrawler on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Has MO changed in the last 6 months or so? I tried it out at one point, but frankly, it was a far more complicated experience than NMM and didn't provide any obvious benefit. Half the mods I downloaded didn't unpack correctly or weren't structured just right for MO to use them as-is, and so required a lot more work (and often, I'd just say fuck it and skip those).

I'm not sure the burden of occasionally needing to re-install a mod if I move something in NMM is enough of a downside to put up with how unintuitive and clunky MO is (or was, if it's gotten better).

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    You don't need Get Snowy if you use Wet and Cold anymore. The author of Wet and Cold added that feature to their mod.

I don't believe they conflict, but it's redundant to have both now.

Also, we should replace BOSS with LOOT.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hell, I have 650 hours under my belt and still occasionally find something I've never seen before.

There's a lot you can do but the game is built to let you ignore most of it. At a certain point, you just get noticeably more powerful than anything you're facing so you don't have as much incentive to poke around and compared to previous games many of the guild quest lines feel much, much shorter. I remember the fighter and mage guild questlines of Morrowind sending you on grand tours of the cities and lands. This may be a consequence of how leveling feels a lot faster too. Many levels require much fewer than the 10 skillups per level previously used.

I do like how the Companions have radiant quests as part of the progression before it becomes all fight the Silver Hand since those have some nice variety. I started two characters recently and one was sent into a Falmer cave nearby at a level where the Falmer gear is actually useful but coming across a Steam Centurion at the end was a bit startling while another was asked to first punch one of the more annoying Battleborn npcs to submission and then kill a bear that had set up residence in the Markath Warren. The latter was especially neat as the npc beggar that stands around the foyer was leaning back and seemingly not aware that a bear was a dozen feet away from him before combat started and he freaked out.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Worst was the temple in morrowind that had to go to all the holy sites in the middle of bloody nowhere

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Has MO changed in the last 6 months or so? I tried it out at one point, but frankly, it was a far more complicated experience than NMM and didn't provide any obvious benefit. Half the mods I downloaded didn't unpack correctly or weren't structured just right for MO to use them as-is, and so required a lot more work (and often, I'd just say fuck it and skip those).

I'm not sure the burden of occasionally needing to re-install a mod if I move something in NMM is enough of a downside to put up with how unintuitive and clunky MO is (or was, if it's gotten better).

MO was updated as recently as a week ago. It's true that some older mods don't follow the convention of putting the new files /folders they provide into the base directory in the zip file, and instead put folders-within-folders, and then the Data-related files go into some folder n-levels deep. Mod Organizer, in this case, will pop up a little window that shows you the folder structure and says "Hey, I couldn't find the Data-related files, can you help me out?". Then you just point out which folder it should consider the base folder, and it's good to go - it even says "Nope, this doesn't look like the right folder" in red if you pick the wrong folder, and "Oh cool, this seems right!" in green when you find the right folder.

Of the ~90 mods I use, only one falls under this category, so I haven't run into this experience too often. When I did, MO did a pretty good job of walking me through it.

Oh, also, how were you getting mods into MO? One way is to manually download them, then tell MO where the downloaded archive is, and have it pick up from there. I rarely use this method, because I use the simpler one: Have MO masquerade as NMM, so when you go to Nexus in your browser and click the "Download with Manager" link for a mod, MO will open it instead of NMM. It'll do everything it needs to from there: grab the zipped-up mod, wait for you to double-click the download to install it, etc.

I can't speak to how MO was 6 months ago (I only started using it in... April, maybe?), but after the initial setup, my experience with the current version of MO has been that it functions exactly like NMM in most cases, and is a little more convenient/offers a few more functions in some other cases.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I had a lot of issues with the "help me find the folder" stuff. It seemed to never be satisfied on the mods I tried, and then shit was all broken.

When I re-install and mod the game up, I tend to roll with a *huge* list of mods that have already been checked over for compatibility issues and I happily overwrite what needs to be overwritten.

But I also tend to do it once and then not change much until next time when I start fresh, so the convenience in terms of moving/changing mods on the same install isn't a big deal for me. Maybe I'll give MO another try at some point.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It's possible that I may be over-hyping MO a bit, just because I like it so much. Its non-destructive way of letting mods live side-by-side just strikes me as the "correct" way to do things, and satisfies some deep-seated love of organization. It also has so many features that almost every time I think "hey, wouldn't it be nice if...", it turns out that MO is a step ahead of me.

I don't change my mods all that often, but I do try to update them once in a while, and it's nice to have every mod live in its own little world when I do that, so that the updates don't have to clobber each other. Also, people link to things in this thread sometimes that make me go "oh, I gotta have that one", and then it's - once again - nice to have isolated environments for things, so that if the new mod doesn't play nice, it's easy to pull it out completely without compromising the existing, working mods.

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Gonna repost here since I hit the last thread's very end. Any experience with a druid character? Someone mentioned Breton. I'm leaning bosmer or nord, but eh. I want a theme, not necessarily race skills for maximum death dealing. Conj/nature destruction/wolf mode/resto heals? No necromancy I think; only the wolf/atronachs. Maaayyyybe one handed mace? Other themes/ideas?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Gonna repost here since I hit the last thread's very end. Any experience with a druid character? Someone mentioned Breton. I'm leaning bosmer or nord, but eh. I want a theme, not necessarily race skills for maximum death dealing. Conj/nature destruction/wolf mode/resto heals? No necromancy I think; only the wolf/atronachs. Maaayyyybe one handed mace? Other themes/ideas?
    Are you playing on PC or console?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Are you playing on PC or console?

Sorry, console. Thinking about a PC purchase, though.......

If I do pick it up for the PC master race edition....enlighten me on the mods I'd grab for that character pleeeeaaasssse.

Sperg has a perk thats gives you a pet dog!

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

but you can get dogs in vanilla i thought. I tried dogs and they're alright but they don't do stealth. I also had to mod out the barking. There is a great Dogs of Skyrim mod as well that changes textures and adds other breeds.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dawnguard already adds in the best dogs possible, no need for a mod.

is it a vampire dog?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Vampire dogs are ok, but Huskies beat everything.

E: Actually they might be Malamutes. Either way, I audibly squealed when I went to the fort and first saw them there.

Aistan on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Worst was the temple in morrowind that had to go to all the holy sites in the middle of bloody nowhere

I think you mean best because you got to go to cool places and see cool shit. Reading the lore for each place was awesome too

JtgVX0H.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Vampire dogs are ok, but Huskies beat everything.

E: Actually they might be Malamutes. Either way, I audibly squealed when I went to the fort and first saw them there.

Malamutes are just bigger, slightly more mellow Huskies anyway. It's like the same amount of energy and personality inside a larger frame.

Go restoration/alteration, wear forsworn armor, become a werebeast and use war axes.

Get revenge on humanity by cutting them down and seeing how they like it! Druid style.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Still stuck with the same problem above. It was suggested that I deactivate Sounds of Skyrim, so I did so for Civilization and Wilds. Still crashing.

Would I be better off deactivating everything and starting over using MO? It sounds like that's a better alternative to installing mods.

Inconsequential NPCs adds a lot of new npcs to cities, doesn't it?

Have you tried turning that one off?

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Go restoration/alteration, wear forsworn armor, become a werebeast and use war axes.

Get revenge on humanity by cutting them down and seeing how they like it! Druid style.

I like it. Rage druid activate.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PC version is super a lot much so better

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

You can actually pick from a list in the configuration menu for what the perk gives you. There's things like a sabre cat, a bear, and a baby mastodon.

• RamiRami Registered User regular

I think you mean the best armoured trolls.

I have to say I never used any followers other than when required to be a quest. They generally just annoy me by being bad at stealth.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'll have to give Mod Organizer a try now. It's about time for my regularly scheduled "delete and re-install everything" Skyrim mod moments.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

I think you mean the best armoured trolls.

I have to say I never used any followers other than when required to be a quest. They generally just annoy me by being bad at stealth.

I urge you to try Amazing Follower Tweaks if you haven't already. I was iffy on this mod but it + Interesting NPCs are making my follower experience a lot cooler. Some of the voice actors are meh, but then so are a lot of the ones Bethesda used so it's square.

And yeah some followers are shit it seems at certain things. I have not tried Belrand yet, but whenever I used him prior to this mod he just charged in everywhere shouting, swinging his sword, and casting that fucking spirit bear.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Bosmer are the stereotypical druids. Cannibal druids.

I vote Khajiit or Orc. Why? Because how often do you see a Khajiit or Orc druid, that's why.
    Still stuck with the same problem above. It was suggested that I deactivate Sounds of Skyrim, so I did so for Civilization and Wilds. Still crashing.

Would I be better off deactivating everything and starting over using MO? It sounds like that's a better alternative to installing mods.
    That's among the things I advised that may have gotten lost at the end of the last thread, yes. Not the MO part. But MO is pretty spiffy, so it wouldn't be a bad idea, and enabling/disabling stuff for testing purposes is a lot quicker with it than NMM.

Monger on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Well, I need to do a clean install of Skyrim I think anyways... so trying MO may be in the cards.

But. I'm still benefiting from that ancient screwup that handed people free Dawnguard. If I do a full wipe, do I lose it?

Edit: Duh, move skyrim directory and let Steam "repair".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So, is there such a thing as a mod that lets you put the Hearthfire house wings wherever, instead of each type being locked to a given side of the house?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt