As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Dinner 2014: TICKET SALES ARE OVER! See you all next Thursday!

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited August 2014 in PAX West
NOTICE ABOUT THE FINAL DAY OF TICKET PURCHASING: Due to the unusually slow ticket sales of this year I'm going to be ending the ticket sales one week before the event on the 21st of August. This is so that I can provide the caterer with a final guest count and not have to buy way more food then I have to. Ticket prices will be unaffected by this since we are over the minimum needed for the buffet pricing.

Greetings and welcome to the Pre-PAX Dinner 2014! First off, apologies this thread going up much later than usual. With the ultra late badge sales and then me needing to go take a class for work things got pretty delayed but thankfully that's the worst of the news.

If this is your first PPD then welcome! This is a really casual dinner held the day before PAX where you can meet and hangout with a whole bunch of other PAXers. If you're planning on attending the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament then this is also a great place to come eat right before the crawl. It ends right when the crawl is gearing up and is right in the middle of all the starting bars (and is a starting bar!).

This event is 21 and over.

The Time!
August 28th
6PM - 8PM

The Location!
We are again back at Barca's because it's seriously hard to beat a venue that doesn't charge, has great service, and tons of seating. Also, Dan is super cool.

1510 11th Ave Seattle, WA 98122
https://goo.gl/maps/7OPUX
This is just a short walk from the convention center but is up a fairly steep hill.

The Menu!
Catering is provided by Seasoned in Seattle. I've used SiS for the prior two Dinners and they have never failed to provide top notch food and service. In keeping with PPD tradition at least one item has booze in it. All of the food will be provided buffet style so for the price of entry you can eat all the things.

All menu items are gluten free except the bread because, yanno, it's bread.

-Summer Greens & Raspberry - Homemade balsamic infused raspberry vinaigrette topped with candied pecans, fresh mint and gorgonzola cheese
-Watermelon & Shaved Fennel - Sweet & seedless watermelon with shaved fennel, fresh herbs and a zingy Zinfandel vinaigrette
-Steamed Basmati Rice
-Organic breads and butter
-Fresh Fruit and berry display

-Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken - Savory cuts of boneless chicken baked and quick fried with a lemon citrus glaze
-Braised Beef - Tender char grilled and slow braised boneless ribs in a demi-garlic and merlot glaze
-Orzo Italiano - Al dente orzo, black & garbanzo beans , bell pepper with fresh herbs & shallot with lemon balsamic vinaigrette

The Tickets!
Ticket price this year is $28.48! I'm going through Eventbrite this time because WePay isn't really the same company I was going through last year and all the other PAX community organizers seem to like Eventbrite.
My usual disclaimer: I do not make a profit at all off of this event and if at any time there is any doubt about this I will be more than glad to post my expenditures. If I somehow end up with extra money all proceeds will be donated to Child's Play.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-pre-pax-dinner-2014-tickets-11998831829

When you arrive at the event please provide your printed ticket. If for some reason you can't then provide the ticket then the have the email, .pdf, photo ID, or something that shows that you are who you say you are so that I can get everyone checked in.

Attire!
You guys can show up in street clothes or the finest dinner attire ever. Hell, show up in a costume if you want. I'll be in my TWDT attire (as seen in my avatar here) and there will probably be a few people running around in wizard robes and what not also for the crawl so feel free to have fun with it!

Final Note
There's a decent chance this will be my final PPD. If you'd like to be a standby event organizer for next year in case I can't do it, gimme a hollar! Serious interest only! I need to know that whoever I have lined up as a standby is going to be 100% reliable.

Thank you all and see you in August!

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    I have my TICKET! My train gets in 6 hours (Amtrak time hah) before the start! I am happy.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    Oh 1st reply :)

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    This may be the best thread name ever.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    PancakeAssassinPancakeAssassin Registered User new member
    Cool, got my ticket! Looking forward to this.

• Options
    rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    I'm only a couple months too young for all these events ;w;

At least this means I'm already excited next year's PAX! :P

• Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ahhh, the food was so good last year. I couldn't stop eating the Spomach & Pasta.

I'm excited!

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    And that's my ticket ordered!
    Thanks for organising this again TOG.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Sounds fun :) is there a limited number of tickets and how fast does this usually sell out?

• Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    Ordered - hopefully I wont change my mind again like I did last year (tho the charity gaming event in the tower was pretty good ;) )

• Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    I have a few questions :)

Drink prices? B)
    Is this within walking distance of pax event? I know you provided an address(thank you) but I don't even know where the pax event is :|
    Is there a tri-wizard drinking tournament this year? I haven't seen anything regarding it and everything I've read on it I can't find a 2013 of it, so I'm not sure if there was one last year

@Bob20021‌

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    signed up!!1oneeeoneoneeleven!!

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Criel wrote: »

Drink prices? B)
    Is this within walking distance of pax event? I know you provided an address(thank you) but I don't even know where the pax event is :|
    Is there a tri-wizard drinking tournament this year? I haven't seen anything regarding it and everything I've read on it I can't find a 2013 of it, so I'm not sure if there was one last year

@Bob20021‌

I can't answer your tri wizard questions, but Barca is walking distance from the convention center. I would say... maybe a 15 minute walk? It's in the Capitol Hill area, which is right up the street from the WSCC.

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Ravenger wrote: »

Drink prices? B)

@Bob20021‌

I can't answer your tri wizard questions, but Barca is walking distance from the convention center. I would say... maybe a 15 minute walk? It's in the Capitol Hill area, which is right up the street from the WSCC.

Drink prices are pretty similar to any general bar, but I don't remember. That was all super vague.

Don't forget to add that Barca was up a nice, steep-ish hill.

Lindabear on
    PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    Hmmm will have to double check with my group if we're still heading down Thursday and if so see if they wouldn't be interested in this sounds like a great idea!

• Options
    CrielCriel Registered User regular
    Pending +3 for this and the tri wizard if it's occuring >:)

Do tickets ever sell out for this?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Pending +3 for this and the tri wizard if it's occuring >:)

Do tickets ever sell out for this?
    I've 100% sold out the prior two years but generally it takes a couple weeks. I always update the op as we hit the 75%/50%/25% milestones.
    Lindabear wrote: »

Drink prices? B)

@Bob20021‌

Drink prices are pretty similar to any general bar, but I don't remember. That was all super vague.

Don't forget to add that Barca was up a nice, steep-ish hill.
    Yah, good idea. I made a note about that and put in a better map that shows the walking route from the convention center to Barca's.

Drink prices? B)

@Bob20021‌
    I just put up a better map to answer that question. :)

The drink prices at Barca are pretty much standard Seattle bar drink prices.

As far as I know there will be a Tri-Wizard, Atlus didn't get the thread up until about a month beforehand last year if I remember right.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Drink prices? B)

@Bob20021‌

While it is "within walking distance" (I made the walk the 1st year it was there), it IS up a very steep hill and you will be doing A LOT of standing/walking during PAX. For this reason (and because I'm old and have arthritis in both knees) I'm taking a cab this year. That's my $0.02 worth.

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    How is parking? Or are you at the mercy of the $rape prices of downtown parking?

• Options
    Yoshua wrote: »
    How is parking? Or are you at the mercy of the $rape prices of downtown parking?
    I honestly have no idea cause I just walk there from my hotel so I've never had to go fishing for a space.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Yoshua wrote: »

From what I remember when I lived in Seattle, Cap Hill street parking can be a bit of a hassle; there are a few garages/lots in the area, probably expect to pay an average of $10-12 to park in the evening.

I usually walk or take the bus (#10 & #11 from downtown will take you to a block away from Barca for $2.50). Cabs are pretty cheap from downtown, too.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Yeah I will probably just ride the train in or take the bus then. Or if someone is free, grab a ride. Just wondered if the venue itself had any parking, which it sounds like it does not.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    The venue does not have parking. I wasn't able to go last year but the year before that I parked about a 3-5 minute walk away which isn't really that bad, under Seattle circumstances.

I wish I could go this year but I literally would not be able to eat anything on the buffet. (wah - this is just my deal) I can vouch for it being fantastic! It's a great place to get to know new friends, have a bite/pre-func before the super-inebriation time of TWDT, and button trading. IMHO, it's a perfect way to kick off PAX.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    vespachica wrote: »
    The venue does not have parking. I wasn't able to go last year but the year before that I parked about a 3-5 minute walk away which isn't really that bad, under Seattle circumstances.

I wish I could go this year but I literally would not be able to eat anything on the buffet. (wah - this is just my deal) I can vouch for it being fantastic! It's a great place to get to know new friends, have a bite/pre-func before the super-inebriation time of TWDT, and button trading. IMHO, it's a perfect way to kick off PAX.

Which is why I'm leaving my house @ 3:30 am that day to catch a 5:30 am train to get me to Seattle in time to make the dinner. Was BUMMED I missed it last year.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I bought a couple tickets. My friends and I are being hosted by his brother and this seems like a great way to pay him back for his hospitality.

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I have my ticket! Now let's see if I can do better than last time and actually get to the event. -_-

• Options
    Star ForgeStar Forge Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hmmmm... I need to think on this since I am not sure when I am arriving in Seattle on the 28th.

Star Forge on
    Attending [E]nforcing: PAX East 2015 Vacation: [x] Flight: [x] Hotel: [x] [E] Schedule: []
    Attended: PAX Prime 2014
    Considering: PAX Prime 2015
  • Options
    PrunciblePruncible Registered User regular
    Made it to this two years ago and had a great time. Looking forward to being there again!

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hello, when will ticket sales close? Eventbrite is saying 8/28, but that sounds wrong because it's the day of the dinner...

Just asking because I'm going to be waiting to see if the Valve tour pans out and may have to miss the dinner if that runs late, but Valve will not let us know if we can have a tour on 8/28 until after The International is over ^^'

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Hello, when will ticket sales close? Eventbrite is saying 8/28, but that sounds wrong because it's the day of the dinner...

Just asking because I'm going to be waiting to see if the Valve tour pans out and may have to miss the dinner if that runs late, but Valve will not let us know if we can have a tour on 8/28 until after The International is over ^^'
    It will probably sell out before 8/28, not sure the sales closing will be a meaningful metric (I could be wrong though).

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ah, so fingers crossed for it to not sell out until we hear from Valve.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    @SinoSamba

Nah, that's right. Ticket sales are open right up until the event unless they sell out beforehand and so far they always have. When's The International over (and what is it? >_>)?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    When's The International over (and what is it? >_>)?

July 21st, it's the Dota2 championship at the Key...

pax
    clt
  • Options
    banghi wrote: »
    Dota2
    Oh. That explains why I had no clue what it was.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PrunciblePruncible Registered User regular
    @SinoSamba

Nah, that's right. Ticket sales are open right up until the event unless they sell out beforehand and so far they always have. When's The International over (and what is it? >_>)?

Does Eventbrite issue refunds if people buy tickets, then wish to return them later because of conflicts? If so, that would seem to be the best of both worlds. Get a ticket now just in case, cancel it later (and let somebody else get it instead) if something goes awry with Valve.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pruncible wrote: »
    @SinoSamba

Does Eventbrite issue refunds if people buy tickets, then wish to return them later because of conflicts? If so, that would seem to be the best of both worlds. Get a ticket now just in case, cancel it later (and let somebody else get it instead) if something goes awry with Valve.

Refunds are easily done through Eventbrite. If people can lemme know that they're a "maybe" via PM or something when they buy their ticket that'd be handy.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MagmarosMagmaros Registered User regular
    Just signed up, my first Pax and it'll be nice to be able to meet some people beforehand.

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Alrighty, I just got 4 tickets for my group! Looking forward to meeting everyone there :D

• Options
    edited July 2014
    And that puts us over the 25% sold mark! Get your tickets soon everyone!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Ticket bought. I will be attending by myself this year as my [E] husband doesn't want to book up Thursday night and miss any meetings or pre-event work. Is there anyone else walking up from the Hyatt or Sheraton who would like to walk with me?

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    skitterbugskitterbug Registered User regular
    Tickets have been acquired, now to wait :#

*~o(^.^)o~*