As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Ready or Not

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Ready or Not

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    SowZ37SowZ37 Registered User regular
    So I guess people outside the camp know about it?

• Options
    SowZ37SowZ37 Registered User regular
    Also, this whole thing seems very Joseph.

• Options
    currypcurryp Registered User regular
    aw..

• Options
    UltimateifritUltimateifrit Registered User new member
    Oh, This explains a lot actually...

• Options
    AsphoronAsphoron Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    She is too good for them. She's better off without them and Brian is better for her than all of them put together.

Asphoron on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh damn... Seventeen... she's the seventeenth kid in that family.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TzivyaTzivya Registered User regular
    There is a disturbance in the force, like a million voices all cried out, and were saddened.

• Options
    TanglebrookTanglebrook Registered User new member
    I love your characters.

• Options
    WizarDruWizarDru Registered User regular
    BRIAN TO THE RESCUE!

Man I'm afraid to find out Brian's story.

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    My heart is breaking, but I see hope. I see Brian.

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    To realize you were never loved. Betrayed by the one person you truly trusted. Poor Seventeen, the pain must be intense. I hope she realizes what good friends she has now that do care for her.

-edit
    I just realized something. The big sisters eyes are the same friendly eyes as of Seventeen. Al the other kids have eyes that look mean and nasty all the time. I think the big sister is much more alike Seventeen then she cares to admit. If she was as mean as the rest she would have never given the Lovebug.

Ilze123 on
  • Options
    ZankmanZankman Registered User regular
    All of this emotional turmoil, but...

I just wanna find the cat; where is it?!?

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    There is a hidden cat, I saw it first try. Really small too.

Also about Seventeen's sister; maybe she's the only other kind person there and gave the toy as a way of dealing with the emotional stress that would come from her appearing at the camp?

• Options
    BigJTBigJT Registered User new member
    The guardian angel of purgatory to the rescue!
    ...hi there, kitty. Yeah, I'd hang out there too if I were there.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Seventeen's family don't seem the type to send their kids to summer camp. What happened to her doesn't seem to be random. There's an element to Weedonwantcha that no one but some adults know. Why?

• Options
    periazhadperiazhad Registered User regular
    The sleeper awakens!

Kind of.

• Options
    KaitensatsumKaitensatsum Registered User regular
    Jesus it feels like a cartoon version of BTOOOM now.

• Options
    PsycheRachPsycheRach Registered User regular
    Aww, poor Seventeen. <3

• Options
    kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Well, now Malachi should be able to find her on his own too.
    I sense an upcoming conclusion that includes character-side misinterpretation due to lack of information.

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The Brian & The Bindle

interesting, is he leaving the camp forever? ... is it because he broke his vow of non-aggression?
    - or -
    is he in deep contemplation, trying to recenter his inner peace after his eruption of dangerous emotions?

does the bindle contain all his worldly possessions or just a bit of sustenance to keep his corporeal shell in this sphere of existence?

whatever, the call goes out, the signal has been given; the protector of the downtrodden is aware.

The Sleeper Has Awakened...

p.s. finally a kitteh of another color ;)

hajen on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It'd be kinda funny if that's actually Brian from the past, and her having a breakdown in the woods is how they first met.

• Options
    pogleypogley Registered User regular
    This is breaking my heart! Good work...

• Options
    DougNDougN Registered User regular
    This is Seventeen's memory. As a result she is going to remember the person whom gave her prized possession with kind eyes, while everyone else in her family has evil eyes and sneers. This is all back home, before coming to camp. Then she climbs into the box, and is sent to camp. The last 4 panels are current time. Oh the feels.

• Options
    Mjolnir74Mjolnir74 Registered User regular
    I totally know how Seventeen feels. My mother forced me to pack a bag and leave home when I was 7. I didn't know where to go or who would protect me. It was one of the most frightening and sad moments of my life. Luckily for me, it was only temporary insanity on my mother's part. She came and got me before I made it two blocks from the house.

• Options
    Mjolnir74Mjolnir74 Registered User regular
    Also, Seventeen's sister, Polly, is different from the other kids. If she didn't feel guilt or remorse over what they were conspiring to do to Seventeen, she wouldn't have given Seventeen the Love Bug.

The other kids are just mean, judging by the way they look at Seventeen.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    My heart, it's in pieces, and it was panel four that did it. The joy and love and adoration in Seventeen's eyes when her sister gave her Lovebug, meanwhile all of us knew what it was leading up to.

On a less sad note, of course Brian packs a bindle to go off and meditate on a rock for long periods of time not to return until he has found his center. Brian's the best.

• Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    Wow, what an evil family, I feel bad for the three innocent looking ones in the background on panel 7, they either will need to become ($*%($ or they will be a new comer to the camp sooner or later.

BTW, have we had any other "new" campers since Malachi came in?

Almost forgot to look for the cat, tough cat to find and definitely a different color to trick ya :)

• Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    BTW, while I like the scene with Brian, I do hope Malachi finds seventeen, he could use a positive story :)

• Options
    Victor GrunnVictor Grunn Registered User regular
    I actually get the impression it's not just Polly who's different (who actually seems to care about 17 a bit) but the oldest brother. Mostly because he said 'it'd be better for her' if she left too. He's a surly bastard but he seems to at least have made a decision with 17's interests in play, at least in part. It would have been easy to say 'She gets in the way, she has to go.' without any reference to what'd be good for her.

And really, it was the right decision. It was weird to see such a nice girl related to a bunch of dangerous creeps.

• Options
    Tree-LineTree-Line Registered User new member
    well i guess its not the camp that 'donwantcha'

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    For those of you who aren't sure what's going on here, look closer at the 9th panel. In that one, Seventeen has her orange shirt on, not her green dress. That means that in the 9th panel she is remembering when she was put in the box.

• Options
    ginoleginole Registered User regular
    OH! Thank you, sarge, I thought I was looking at WATER in that panel; I thought they threw a girl in a hole-riddled box in the river or something!

I have no patience for stupidity. I get very impatient with myself sometimes...
  • Options
    mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I understand now. Protect that lovebug at all costs. At least seventeen has a heart. even though it is immature she would turn out a good person

• Options
    Dark JaguarDark Jaguar Registered User regular
    For those who's sentiment is "she's in a much better place", well yes, her family was terrible and all those kids should be put in better homes. However, keep in mind that her "better place" is crying alone in the woods with no guardians after eating mystery pills she couldn't read (which was after being shot at by another kid, which was after being attacked by feral cats, which was after nearly starving to death). She's got no one to help guide her through growing up, just a bunch of other kids who are trying their best, but are ultimately just as lost.

The camp is NOT an improvement, it's just a different hell.

• Options
    hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Oh, man, we all saw this coming, but that doesn't lessen the emotional impact at all. Well done.

I have to admit that despite being on Team Katie, I was initially skeptical of this comic's concept when it was being pitched in the final episodes of Strip Search. It's obvious that Jerry and Mike saw the potential in what we're reading now and they made the correct choice.

• Options
    FriedKeithFriedKeith Registered User regular
    Only Katie Rice Can Break Your Heart

• Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    I don't know about that HOTZP, The Last Halloween (which I only recently found despite having watching all of Strip Search. My bad) is pretty great. Considering these turn of events, I can't see either one being a bad choice.

• Options
    Victor GrunnVictor Grunn Registered User regular
    Dark Jaguar, I agree that the camp isn't heaven. But when I look at it I see Seventeen, specifically, in a camp where she has actual friends, some people who are nice to her, and frankly probably better food and shelter than she actually had where she came from. I'm not saying the camp is good, since obviously it's some kind of weird wonderland of feral cats and some equally nasty children, But 'Better for her' was A) correct, considering the comparison, and B) it showed some minor moment of a nasty sibling actually having her interest in mind.

I guess another way to put it was, 'It's hard to think of a worse place than where she was that doesn't involve war crimes.'

• Options
    iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    When the student is ready the master will appear.

• Options
    The oneThe one Registered User regular
    I found the cat!